FAILED!!! I hate TOM :o(

Options
I have been dieting for 3 weeks and have lost 8lb which I think is amazing and I am so proud of myself but this week is my Time of the month and I am craving foods I am telling my self no but for two days on the trot i have had chocolate and I have terrible back pains so can't do the exercise. I got out for a walk on monday but after a long day at work the last thing i want at this time of the month is to be walking around the part. On Tuesday I had a cadburys Caramel egg but yesterday I went out for dinner with the girls and even though i had cut out all white bread I ended up having what I fancied which was a Pastrami,rocket and lemon mayo sub with fat chips cooked in beef dripping and A CHOCOLATE BROWNIE that i cut in half and shared with a friend so that I was at least trying a little bit then to make it even worse I had a cheese burger for night time meal with chips. I woke up in the night with stomach cramps and i think its because my body isn't used to go many carbs as i've cut out most potatos/chips and all white bread. I am so disappointed and now do not want to go on the scale incase its undone all my hard work.

Replies

• Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: aww, I hear you, totally. I am a complete chocolate monster at TOM but can easily go 3 weeks without looking at it when when things are back to normal. Don't beat yourself up about it now, it's in the past. What you can do, is learn from it...know your habits when TOM is looming and opt for healthier food choices. There is NOTHING wrong with having a little indulgence at any time of the month as this is a lifestyle change and not a diet and therefore you cannot expect to go the rest of your life without chocolate...eek...that would make me so depressed :flowerforyou:

When your back is better, try a little exercise, although in the UK it is advertised that a little exercise can do wonders for backache. Drink plenty of water and don't weigh yourself untill at least 2 days after TOM has finished... :flowerforyou:
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    I am having the same situation this week. I had to have chocolate yesterday. I am not on a "diet", I am on a lifestyle change. So try to incorporate these items into my daily cals without making it a big deal. I tend to have the fun size bars. Milky Ways fun size only has 70 cals per bar. IF you have just one it isn't so bad. That worked for me yesterday. I do not have them everyday. Once a week usually but will not stress if I decide to have another one today.

I say do not beat yourself up to much about having to have chocolate. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. ;-)
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Must be something in the air I have been the same since Sunday ,even down to eating white sliced bread that I hate and it doesnt agree with me plus choccy ,well anything that took my fancy really ,have tried to get back into things since Monday and start of ok then just all goes out the window !
    Woke up this morning and am in the right frame of mind ,I think sometimes just best to let it run its course ,hope you wake up to find your in the right frame of mind :)
    I am so scared to weigh as I lose weight so slowly at the best of times .
  • Alycyn1980
    Alycyn1980 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    :happy: I think we all know the feeling of TOM and hate it. I am the same, I prefer savoury things apart from that time when all I want is chocolate and if I don't get it I get really moody. We have to allow for things like this and as long as watch what doing the rest of the time it shojld be fine. Don't beat yorself up about it, if worrying about the exercise just do an extra 5-10mins when can get started again. Don't let this set you back, thats what I keep doing and I've finally realised at 30 that it is not worth it!!!!
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You have NOT failed. 8lbs is a fantastic achievement and always remember this.
    I know exactly how you feel and I go through this every month. The good thing is that 1) your body actually burns more caloreis during TOM.
    2) The indulgences you've had probably won't ruin your weight loss in the long run. I know that the urge to eat chocolate or anything is almosty uncontrollable but as long as you get back on track as soon as you can and try to get some exercise in (once the pains is gone) you should be fine.

One last thing, don't weight yourself until a few days after as the body usually retains a lot of water during TOM :ohwell: so wait for this to return to normal before weighing in.

You will be fine:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • daveymck
    daveymck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Going off the rails for one day isnt going to put back on all the weight you have lost so far, what will cause you to put the weight back on is beating yourself up about it, getting upset and repeating the cycle today, tomorrow and the rest of the week.

Its fine to have blips, its even fine to allocate a non diet day once a week/month as a treat (or save 100 calories a day for a nice treat one day is another way to do it). The main thing is you get back on track today and dont worry about it.

Its a LONG hard journey over the months of dieting short term doesnt matter as much as people think. I am a bloke so dont have TOM issues but I only weigh myself once a fortnight which I think gives a better picture on the trend of loss rather than the pressure of daily and weekly weigh ins which can lead to frustration and dissapointment even though its just the natural variance our bodies go through on a daily basis.
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much... This morning I was so disapointed in my self but now reading all your comments I relise that im not alone and i need to get back on track so come lunch time i shall be power walking down the river trent and ten tonight i shall take the dog or a long walk make me feel like i have done something poitive to counter act the negitive... TOM week is always the week i used to end up giing up the new lifestylefor the old one because i ate the wrong thing and just gave up but reading your support i feel i owe it to my self to keep fighting the fat
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yeah yeah yeah!! Get back up on that horse. TOM is just how it is for many of us. It is what it is, and it can be tough. I've gotten in the habit of not even weighing in that week, because I just know between my cravings and water weight, it's just going to be a downer experience for me, and when I get down, I tend to go back to old coping mechanisms...i.e. FOOD., and then I just get in a nasty cycle.

So, to break the cycle, I just take that week as a Mulligan, don't weigh in, try to make healthy choices and exercise, but if that brownie calls, I may just have part of it and split it with a friend. (good choice!) . I still get back into the groove and move on though. It slows things down a teensy weensy bit in the weight loss department (not as much as I thought it would though), but in the long run, I'm still moving in the right direction, instead of throwing it all out the window and going back to old ways! And at my next week's weigh in, I've usually still lost weight--which is an UPPER! Good luck!!
  • lucifa73
    lucifa73 Posts: 110
    Options
    As others have said its not a fail. TOM can be a real challenge. Now is time to take stock and come up with contingencies for next month. Perhaps that week you need to accommodate chocolate in your diet and a few more carbs to manage the cravings and accept that the week after might be a stricter one to balance. By allowing yourself the leeway when you need it you might not get such huge cravings and so the 'damage' is limited.