Exercising before breakfast??

I started exercising before breakfast and it seems to curve my appetite the whole day. I want to keep doing this but my concern is will it effect negatively my thyroid function?? I usually don't eat until 9:30- 10 am if that makes a difference.

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    No meal frequency is strictly a personal preference.... As long as you are getting your calories in and hitting your nutrient needs then eat whenever it is best for you..... :drinker:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    I start at 4am, works for me!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I often exercise before the first meal of the day. Leaves me famished, though! :)
  • I have always worked out before breakfast.
    I go at 430-500 in the morning so there is no way that I am going to eat at that time. LOL
    I have never had a problem with it or it affecting me negativley.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Bonus!

You know... some people pay money for pills that do the same thing and I don't hear any concern from them out there.... just saying.

It's okay to ONLY eat when you're hungry.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    I do a 45 minute walk every morning at about 6:30 before I eat anything, then I load up on protein when I arrive at work for 'breakfast'. Normally 600- 800 calories before 10am (about 80g of protein) I don't even notice being hungry at all after that and many times I don't even eat at lunchtime because I am still full ;)

Do what works for you ;)
  • lknickrehm01
    lknickrehm01 Posts: 3 Member
    I've done this for years and it works for me as well. Just make sure to get something in your body pretty quickly after your workout, at least for electrolytes, depending on how hard you are working out. Some whey protein is a good idea immediately post workout if you are lifting weights in any meaningful fashion.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    I like working out before breakfast too. I try to workout before my normal meal times so i dont over eat before or after.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    If you search the forums there's a lot of info about fasted workouts and their benefits! :)
  • I was like this for awhile...then I decided to start drinking a Protein Shake after my workouts. I wasn't hungry after my workouts but, I wasn't getting the protein in as it was so, I figured that would be a good time to get it in.

I would get SOMETHING in after your workout to help your muscles repair...
  • Zonny
    Zonny Posts: 9 Member
    I've been hitting the gym before breakfast too, and it has the opposite effect. I'm STARVING when I'm done. I normally just go to the gym for 5:30 and bring my coffee with me, and have breakfast when I get to work (about an hour after I'm home from the gym). This has been challenging for me, it takes awhile to chase the hunger away by then.
  • SweetLilyR
    SweetLilyR Posts: 283 Member
    How do you do it??

I can't even function until I've had coffee and breakfast...no joke. I'm lucky if I can put together a full sentence in the mornings. I wish I were even a bit of a morning person. :drinker: :yawn:
  • PurplePolkaDot84
    PurplePolkaDot84 Posts: 20 Member
    Thanks everyone! I guess like 8-10 yrs ago I was told it would slow down your metabolism to eat right after.... Trying to separate fact and fiction with all I know about changing my lifestyle. I have a lot of knowledge but need to separate what actually works for life from quick fixes and so on.
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    My typical day is waking up, take the older kids to school, come home and get the toddler situated with his breakfast, workout, and then make a protein shake sometime after. I'm never hungry first thing in the morning so it works for me. Sometimes it curbs my appetite but other times I feel like I'm starving. I just eat when I'm hungry.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Meal timing is totally personal preference. As long as you hit all your calories and nutrients for the day, and you have the energy to get through your workouts, go for it!

Just don't use it as an excuse to not eat enough food. There be monsters there.
  • PurplePolkaDot84
    PurplePolkaDot84 Posts: 20 Member
    Oh no I'm starving right after! I eat a good breakfast and I don't get as hungry as I use to the rest of the day! So it helps me eat less at lunch, dinner, and I don't crave as much either.
  • I have coffee when I get up, then drop the kids off at school. Gym at 8:45 and home by 9:45. Then I have breakfast. Works for me so far.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Hi

I work out before breakfast, but not fasting

4:00 am. Get off bed and prepare a protein shake with whey protein isolate, one banana and skim milk in the blender. I have this by 4:15 am at the latest. I separately prepare another shake of whey protein isolate with water and take it to the gym

5:00 am start work out

6: 00 am end of workout. I have my second whey protein, prepared above, while still at the gym.

6: 20 am Go home, shower and prepare my breakfast.

7:00 am Breakfast done
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    If I'm running, I have a protein bar and a gatorade before I go out. (Anything more and I get nauseated during the run.)

If I'm riding my bicycle, I eat breakfast before I go, so my stomach doesn't growl at me.