Foot and ankle pain when running -- is this normal?

Options
I just started a program (an app on my iPhone to be exact) that's similar to the Couch to 5k program. I was only running in 1 minute intervals, but my feet and ankles were killing me in that short amount of time. Am I doing something wrong, or is this what you're supposed to feel when you're out of shape and haven't run in awhile?

Replies

• MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have been running for a little over a month. I ran 5 miles for the first time yesterday and my ankle is very sore. Taking a rest today. Interested in the responses.
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was NEVER a runner. I started running about 2 months ago and for the first week or so my ankles and shins were killing. After doing some researched I found it was because:

1. I'm out of shape, my body wasn't use to this new form of walking I was doing, haha.
    2. My form was all run. I was running on the tips of my feet, my heel wasn't touching the ground at all. That caused my ankles and shins to cry for mercy! After adjusting my form, letting the hell hit the ground first, it helped a lot.

Be sure to take some much needed rest days. If you're just starting out your body is probably really confused with this new activity. But stick with it :)
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I was NEVER a runner. I started running about 2 months ago and for the first week or so my ankles and shins were killing. After doing some researched I found it was because:

1. I'm out of shape, my body wasn't use to this new form of walking I was doing, haha.
    2. My form was all run. I was running on the tips of my feet, my heel wasn't touching the ground at all. That caused my ankles and shins to cry for mercy! After adjusting my form, letting the hell hit the ground first, it helped a lot.

Be sure to take some much needed rest days. If you're just starting out your body is probably really confused with this new activity. But stick with it :)
    These are good points. It's possible that the pain you're feeling is just your body getting used to doing something it hasn't really done before or maybe not done for a long time. It could also be that your form is off causing you to have a stride that puts stress on the wrong parts.

My suggestion would be to go to a running store (Google "<your city>, running store" to find some) - usually the small specialty stores are better than a large chain like Sports Authority or D!ck's, but if that's all you have, that's fine - then have them do a gait analysis (they're free). They will tell you how you're running, whether you have a neutral pronation, over-pronate, or over-supinate. Then they can suggest the best shoes for your running style and let you try different ones on and walk/run around in them for a bit to get the feel. You can buy whichever shoes are best for you there, or just take a note of them and go buy them somewhere cheaper. If you don't want to shell out the $120+ for good shoes (but believe me, it's worth it), at least do the gait analysis so you know how your body is working in what you do use.

Also be sure to take the rest days. Some people don't feel like they're doing much at the start of a c25k-style program so they run 6-7 days a week, but when you're just starting out, those are critical for your body to recover and get itself adjusted to what you're doing to it. Some people that have been running for a long time will cut out the rest days if they're "only" running 1-5 miles on their runs, but as a beginner, they're important.
  • atiana19
    atiana19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It is probably shin splints which are common when you are starting a running program, I had the same thing and realized I was doing too much too fast and too soon. Start slow , increase speed and distance slowly. You will strengthen your muscles over a period of time and the pain should dissapear, at least that was my personal experience. I am now up to 5 miles.Great running shoes help too. Good luck
  • WhoMe93
    Options

These are good points. It's possible that the pain you're feeling is just your body getting used to doing something it hasn't really done before or maybe not done for a long time. It could also be that your form is off causing you to have a stride that puts stress on the wrong parts.

My suggestion would be to go to a running store (Google "<your city>, running store" to find some) - usually the small specialty stores are better than a large chain like Sports Authority or D!ck's, but if that's all you have, that's fine - then have them do a gait analysis (they're free). They will tell you how you're running, whether you have a neutral pronation, over-pronate, or over-supinate. Then they can suggest the best shoes for your running style and let you try different ones on and walk/run around in them for a bit to get the feel. You can buy whichever shoes are best for you there, or just take a note of them and go buy them somewhere cheaper. If you don't want to shell out the $120+ for good shoes (but believe me, it's worth it), at least do the gait analysis so you know how your body is working in what you do use.

Also be sure to take the rest days. Some people don't feel like they're doing much at the start of a c25k-style program so they run 6-7 days a week, but when you're just starting out, those are critical for your body to recover and get itself adjusted to what you're doing to it. Some people that have been running for a long time will cut out the rest days if they're "only" running 1-5 miles on their runs, but as a beginner, they're important.

^^^^Do this! I had constant knee pain when I ran, until I had my gait analyzed and bought a good pair of shoes with the proper sole inserts. My knee pain has gone away and I can run further than ever before.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    'YouTube' some guides to beginning running. My problem was that I was landing on my heel like when I walking. Shifting to landing on middle of foot made ALL the difference in the world. Also, following the advice above about going to a running store. I haven't done yet, but I've heard this over-and-over from people in-person.