The best energy supplement, in your opinion.

Options
Hey All!

First time posting on here, but with a question that has been constantly on my mind.

I have really tried to replace a lot of the fake and processed foods in my diet in the last few months. Everything seems to be easily replaceable EXCEPT an energy supplement. For instance, for my early morning workouts I prefer to have some "kick" before I get started - that could be in the form of 5 hour energy, Crystal Lite Energy, or something similar. I don't trust these products anymore knowing the FDA allows crap in what we consume.

I prefer something with lower calories, and natural ingredients with the same potency as these supplements.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Black coffee.
  • dmfusari
    Options
    Black coffee.

Thanks! I thought of that or espresso, but I think it will make my heart race and make me more jittery, especially on an empty stomach in the morning.
  • MrsBischoff
    Options
    Black coffee.

Thanks! I thought of that or espresso, but I think it will make my heart race and make me more jittery, especially on an empty stomach in the morning.

Are you sensitive to caffeine? It would probably only do that if you are. I might be way to use to it tho because I never have a problem, lol. If it does though you could always eat something small with it. Like greek yogurt :)
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I started taking Cayenne pepper (Capsicum) per my doctor's suggestion for some digestive problems and it turned out to also give me quite a bit of energy, even more than caffeine. It took a while to get the dosage just right because if I took too much my heart rate increased too much or it caused heart burn. You could try that, or just take a caffeine pill or coffee. Something I also like is Yerba Mate tea, but that's an acquired taste but if you like it it has more natural caffeine than coffee.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    A quarter cup of black coffee with some kind of sugar free food?
  • AynzL
    AynzL Posts: 40
    Options
    I've had a few Starbucks Refreshers. The can says "natural energy from green coffee extract". Target has them. They have stevia in them. Not sure what all you're trying to avoid. One can has 60 calories. They do have coffee beans in them??? Sorry I can't help more as far as ingredients go, but might be worth a look.
  • dmfusari
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the recs! I think I'll just start trying the different suggestions and see how they effect me.

I appreciate you taking the time and answer :-)
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    One of the things that I supplement for the fancy cafe shop coffees might be right up your ally. I've started drinking the Atkins Advantage Protein Shakes. They have a cafe and mocha variety that has a little bit of coffee in it, and is low in sugar since its meant for people with diabetes/low sugar diets.

Not sure if that's considered "natural", but I find it to be a good way to give me a little bit of caffeine without the jitters and sugar as well as 15g of protein as soon as I wake up.

Edit:
    Nutrition Facts: 160cals, 1g sugar, 9g fat, 15g protein, 4g Carbs
    40% Calcium
    10% vit D,
    15% Vit C
    20% (Vit K, Riboflavin, B6, B12, Iodine, Selenium, Chromium, E, Thiamin, Niacin, Folate, Biotin, Zinc, Manganese, Molybdenum)
    45% Phosphorus
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Any of the below

C8H10N4O2

C17H21NO4

C7H17N
  • justanotherloser007
    Options
    Any of the below

C8H10N4O2

C17H21NO4

C7H17N

You forgot C9H13N

Yes! I got a BINGO!
    Keep it simple, all the B vitamins you can get (and iron if you tend anemic).
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This give me a pack of energy,I tend to have this most mornings.
    Frozen blue berry and strawberry 100g
    Tsp 100% peanut butter
    Oat bran 22g
    1 scoop of whey protien powder
    300 ml Water

Wiz up and drink
    ps just started to add 1 tsp of rapeseed oil roughly 300 cals

or I have Green tea as a pre workout.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Any of the below

C8H10N4O2

C17H21NO4

C7H17N

You forgot C9H13N

C10H15NO might be a nice thing to use too.
  • LauraRose03
    Options
    RoxyLean. It is amazzzzing, I love it!!!! I get it at GNC. I don't drink coffee or tea so just one of these little guys helps me out in the a.m. :)
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    lots of H2O :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    ALL "energy" supplements are nothing more than mild stimulants. Need that kick? It's usually gonna come from attitude.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Sleep. Make sure you get enough of it.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Exercise.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    a really good daily vitamin, one that has plenty of all the B's.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Do not get fooled by supplement companies with their "energy boosting" bs like special vitamins or minerals or plant leaves from the depths of Machu Picchu combined with soil from Tuvalu. These are all scams. You don't need that stuff and neither does your wallet.

Remember energy = calories. Calories give our body energy, fuel, performance or whatever you want to call it.

The only effective low calorie/calorie free "energy" boosting things out items you most likely already have in your home. Black coffee, music (whether it's old school hip hop or country!), motivation videos on YouTube (eg How Bad Do You Want It?), a hot/cold shower and family/friends who have worked their butt off to be successful.