Any other IBS sufferers?

Options
gibbsgirl
gibbsgirl Posts: 72 Member
I have IBS and it really puts a damper on my weight loss. I don't eat extremely clean, but I always get a good bit of fiber everyday and I still suffer with constipation. I might go once a week, if I'm lucky. And I sometimes have to take a laxitive to go that often. It's very discouraging because it causes my weight loss to slow or hault and my tummy looks bloated most of the time. Anyone have any advice other than eat more fiber??? Thanks!

I totally posted this in the wrong topic! Oops.

Replies

• AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I have IBS with Constipation - so I know exactly how you feel! I am always bloated to the point where if I press on my belly, it is painful. My IBS often causes sex to be uncomfortable :explode: :angry: :grumble: What I have been trying to do is start my meals with Soluable Fiber - oatmeal, brown rice, potatoes, etc... If I'm having a salad or any raw veggies, I make sure I have a source of Soluable Fiber with it. I've read that intense exercise is very beneficial for IBS-C sufferers - I usually have a BM after a jog in the evenings :bigsmile: . Yoga is very good for IBS also. I take a probiotic each morning. Teas such as Dandelion, Peppermint, Fennel, Licorice can help ease discomfort. Since I have been doing all these things, I still have the symptoms but I am not to the point where I cannot function, as I was a couple months ago...

http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/constipation.asp I've found this site to be helpful. Make sure you read thru all the links, because some of the most important info I have found hidden within the text... Good luck!

OH! Something else - STAY AWAY FROM LAXATIVE TEAS!! Do not take any type of laxative that is absorbed into your intestines, you want one that simply provides bulk and passes thru. Something like Miralax. Have you seen a doctor?
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have IBS with constipation too..very severe - I use Miralax once daily and it is a miracle .. just mix one capful in with your coffee, tea, water - whatever. It is completely tasteless and has no residue. I also use a script - Amitiza .. I used to need it 2x a day but because the Miralax works so well, I only take it once a day - but even if I miss a dose, it's okay because the Miralax is so effective. It's available in the same section of the pharmacy as Pepto etc.. well worth it...
  • gibbsgirl
    Options
    Thank you so much. I have the sex problem too; it's so frustrating. I did see a doctor once when i was first diagnosed about 11 years ago and he just said to eat better. Then when Zelnorm came out, A dr prescribed it and I couldn't get OFF the toilet, lol. I was regulating for a while, but it's gotten worse since trying to lose some weight. I do run a couple miles a day and it's not really helping. The extra fiber is just giving me gas. I'm probably not eating the right kind of fiber. Ima read those links and see if anything helps. Thanks again!
  • 4myheartnsoul
    Options
    I understand what you are all going through. I go over in fiber very often and still can't go or be regular. Today, by belly is bloated to where I look nine months pregnant and I have not been really good in about 3 days. I will try the Miralax daily. I go to the doc next week for it. I always just thought it was my doet until I began eating healthy and still not imorovement. It seems the healthier I eat the worse the bloating becomes.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    It seems the healthier I eat the worse the bloating becomes.

I've said this exact thing so many times!! :flowerforyou:
  • Buppie
    Buppie Posts: 43
    Options
    I suffer as well. I have medicines, but I don't take them like I should. What is funny, is when I was eating bad (greasy foods), I was "normal". Ever since I started eating healthy, my IBS has kicked in again. I too am a once a week person. Very frustrating ad uncomfortable. I will try the Miralax and see how that works for me. Even with all the water and fiber, it is still not getting better. Glad to know I am not the only one... :sad:
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Another thing I have read is that the old 8 8oz glasses of water a day... IBS-C sufferers need waaaaaaay more than that! At least double that!
  • gibbsgirl
    Options
    I know that my water intake is probably a big factor. I'm going to hit the drug store today to try the miralax and I need to vow to drink tons more water.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have IBS but I suffer the opposite problem. I may go 5 to 8 times a day. I always said I would rather have this then the constipation part which I do get but rarely. my Chia seeds have really helped.
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    I too suffer with IBS but my symptoms are different & i have also had major stomach surgery & have been told to avoid cellulose & especially lettuce so wonder if this advice may also help. If I do eat lettuce I bloat terribly & have a lot of pain so I amke my sald with spinach, rocket etc
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I have the sex problem too; it's so frustrating. I did see a doctor once when i was first diagnosed about 11 years ago and he just said to eat better. Then when Zelnorm came out, A dr prescribed it and I couldn't get OFF the toilet, lol. I was regulating for a while, but it's gotten worse since trying to lose some weight. I do run a couple miles a day and it's not really helping. The extra fiber is just giving me gas. I'm probably not eating the right kind of fiber. Ima read those links and see if anything helps. Thanks again!

I was on Zelnorm but when the FDA pulled it, my dr switched me to Amitiza. The first strength he prescribed was way too strong - I was cramping and felt horrible. But the low dose Amitiza seems to be much better.

Good luck to all on this thread.. IBS really is hard on the system, no matter which variation you have.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and it really puts a damper on my weight loss. I don't eat extremely clean, but I always get a good bit of fiber everyday and I still suffer with constipation. I might go once a week, if I'm lucky. And I sometimes have to take a laxitive to go that often. It's very discouraging because it causes my weight loss to slow or hault and my tummy looks bloated most of the time. Anyone have any advice other than eat more fiber??? Thanks!

I totally posted this in the wrong topic! Oops.

Have you had a thorough Thyroid work up done???? The reason I ask is because I was told that I had IBS and come to find out, it was hypothyroid.

Anyway, I had given up all grains (except steel cut oats) and get my fiber from vegetables and some fruits and upped my fat intake and I am as normal and regular as can be now!!!
  • gibbsgirl
    Options
    I couldn't tell you if I've have a thyroid workup. I had tons of bloodwork done dealing with infertility and I *think* they may have looked at my thyroid. Could be wrong though.

I read some reviews of miralax on an IBS site and decided to run out and get some. Having some in my oj this morning. Hopefully it will give me some results.

Thanks for all the replies and good to know I'm not the only one struggling with this while trying to lose some weight!
  • KGrazioli
    KGrazioli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My Doctor finally introduced me to Miralax after being on countless other medications. It does work - but give it 3-5 days to start working. Some other good advice that I received from my Doctor and other IBS sufferers is to cut out or cut down on your Dairy intake, I think you'll find that helps alot too.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have IBS with Constipation - so I know exactly how you feel! I am always bloated to the point where if I press on my belly, it is painful. My IBS often causes sex to be uncomfortable :explode: :angry: :grumble: What I have been trying to do is start my meals with Soluable Fiber - oatmeal, brown rice, potatoes, etc... If I'm having a salad or any raw veggies, I make sure I have a source of Soluable Fiber with it. I've read that intense exercise is very beneficial for IBS-C sufferers - I usually have a BM after a jog in the evenings :bigsmile: . Yoga is very good for IBS also. I take a probiotic each morning. Teas such as Dandelion, Peppermint, Fennel, Licorice can help ease discomfort. Since I have been doing all these things, I still have the symptoms but I am not to the point where I cannot function, as I was a couple months ago...

http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/constipation.asp I've found this site to be helpful. Make sure you read thru all the links, because some of the most important info I have found hidden within the text... Good luck!

OH! Something else - STAY AWAY FROM LAXATIVE TEAS!! Do not take any type of laxative that is absorbed into your intestines, you want one that simply provides bulk and passes thru. Something like Miralax. Have you seen a doctor?

Yep, couldn't have said anything any better. Ditto. Good on ya' Hillary! :drinker:
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have IBS-C too. Amitiza messes with my vision (:huh: ) so I can't take it. I used to take zelnorm & it was fabulous, but alas anything great they snatch off the market. I've taken miralax for years, but since eating healthier & doing some of the same things that Hillary is doing, I've been able to control it.

I'm totally off of any meds to control it now. I go at least every day. The biggest thing I've found is use Flax Seed MEAL (ground flax seed). If I miss one "dose", I won't go. I just add 2 tbsps to my cerel or oatmeal or yogurt every morning for breakfast.

Also, I've heard that if you are stopped up, use "bitters". They sell this in my health food store (actually, the manager there told me about this one).

Careful with anything that is a laxative as this makes your colon even lazier (sp?).
    You've gotten some really good info from the other posters.
    HTH
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I couldn't tell you if I've have a thyroid workup. I had tons of bloodwork done dealing with infertility and I *think* they may have looked at my thyroid. Could be wrong though.

I read some reviews of miralax on an IBS site and decided to run out and get some. Having some in my oj this morning. Hopefully it will give me some results.

Thanks for all the replies and good to know I'm not the only one struggling with this while trying to lose some weight!

A thorough thyroid blood panel will include TSH, Free T3, Free T4 and Reverse T3 (where T4 is converted to T3) at the very least...........

I modified my diet to include more fats and green veggies, eliminated grains and NO MORE Meds!!! I also drink tons of water. I am regular now and have been since making the above mentioned changes.
  • sharmonesq
    sharmonesq Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have IBS but I suffer the opposite problem. I may go 5 to 8 times a day. I always said I would rather have this then the constipation part which I do get but rarely. my Chia seeds have really helped.

I have the IBS-D too. Well, for now. Mine has switched several times. Ahhh. I also have severe chronic gastritis that I can't get under control. So, sometimes I loose a lot of weight from not keeping food down (or in) and then my body goes into starvation mode and I gain A LOT as soon as my symptoms subside. Yuck. I am on perscription meds (which aren't really helping right now), but I like natural stuff. I do a lot of teas and probiotics for digestion. For those of you with constipation, I have found a supplement in my health food food store that works wonders for me with all natural laxatives its called constipationSTOP. It is the only thing that works for me in a reasonable amount of time. I can do miralax but, as other said, it takes a few days and the other one you take at night and I'm always able to go the next morning. Its not an everyday thing, I just use it if I'm really backed up and in pain.

Anyone else with upper digestive issues?
  • jodylewis81
    jodylewis81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My naturopath suggested I consume two tablespoons of ground organic flax everyday. I've been doing so via smoothies, or adding it to yogurt...that, along with drastically increasing my water intake, has helped a lot with the BM's. Good luck!
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Vet- What are bitters?

:noway: I gotta get some more Flax Seed Meal too - I ran out! :noway: I think that has def. made a difference for me since I havent had it this week I can tell!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!