Strength Exercises for the Beginner

Options
Hello everyone! So I realized not too long ago that while there are a lot of things I know about for cardio exercises, and lots of different options, I know absolutely zero about strength training. I'm going to talk to a nutritionist in the beginning of October for more ideas, but I'd like to start off with adding in a day of strength training a week before then because I feel mentally ready to start more focused exercise.

A little bit about me. I'm 5'9" and currently 320 pounds. Despite my weight, I get around and move pretty easily and don't have joint pain or health problems. In strength training I'd like to focus more on my abs and upward for now, since I feel like my legs get a pretty decent workout just carrying me around for now. The upper half feels neglected though. I have an exercise room in my complex, but it has no weight machines, just the rubber band thing. There might be an exercise ball in there too? I don't remember very well. I don't really have the funds for a gym membership.

So does anyone have strength training suggestions that I can do with things at home, or using the exercise bands? Preferably with a focus on the upper half of the body. Thank you!

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Are you able to do pushups?
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I can do girl pushups and I might be able to do one or two regular push-ups, but it's definitely more of a struggle.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands are great!

Here are beginner options (with pictures) .......http://exercise.about.com/library/bltotalresistancebeginners.htm

This is a great set of videos .... Power Fit by Stephanie Huckabee (cheap on Amazon). The nice thing about these .... they are 20 minutes long, as you build to intermediate level..... you can do 2 workouts for a 40 minute workout.

Here's a video clip

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/stephanie-huckabees-powerfit-5681
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Checkout Fitnessblender videos on Youtube- they have a couple bodyweight-only strength routines. They may have resistance band ones, too- I don't have one so haven't checked.

Also, if you have an iPhone/iPad- Workout Trainer is a good free app that has a bunch of workouts along those lines, too. If you pay for pro you get even more (I'm too cheap). Might be available in Android, too.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I can do girl pushups and I might be able to do one or two regular push-ups, but it's definitely more of a struggle.

Start doing pushups at various inclines. Start with doing them against the wall, then moving your feet farther out from the wall, then using a table, then a bench, ect. It builds your muscles up while maintaining good form so when you get all the way to pushups on the floor, you'll be good to go.

Also, resistance bands are great. I had to give up weight lifting for awhile because of a neck injury (unrelated to working out), and I switched to resistance bands instead. Check out the links posted above or just google "resistance band workout" to get some ideas. Good luck and congrats on your loss so far!
  • psylvester1
    Options
    bump for later
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the great ideas you guys! These all look fantastic and I can't wait to check out more of them when I get home this evening.

Also, a special thanks for the tip on pushups. I wouldn't have ever thought about doing pushups at different inclines.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the great ideas you guys! These all look fantastic and I can't wait to check out more of them when I get home this evening.

Also, a special thanks for the tip on pushups. I wouldn't have ever thought about doing pushups at different inclines.

I didn't either until I started doing New Rules of Lifting for Women, which lists pushups at various inclines rather than the "girl" method. I've been doing them for a few weeks now, and I'm already down to the table top and going to try for the bench height this week! It sounds silly to get so excited over it, but I never dreamed I would be able to do real pushups before this, and now I really think I'll be there by Halloween. :)