Which Lifting Program?

Options
I am looking to start a strength training program. I already do weight training, but don't really follow a program and I feel like that is what I need to do.

Looking at Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Starting Strength. Which do you do, why did you pick it, and how did it/is it working for you?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I started with Starting Strength, and did it for about 3-4 months before I had to stop due to an unrelated injury. Once I was through with Physical Therapy and cleared to lift free weights again, I just sort of floundered around on my own for a few months. I never could get the focus back and I was honestly bored with it. SS isn't a BAD program by any means, and a lot of users here love it. But it was just too static to keep my interest.

I just picked up New Rules for Lifting for Women a month ago and I LOVE it. I see a lot of complaints that it is too complicated, but honestly, I didn't find it to be complicated at all, as long as you read the different workout instructions as you go, and not all up front at the beginning. It provides you with 6-8 months of workouts that vary quite a bit (from alternating reps within a workout to alternating workouts from one day to the next). It's fun and challenging, and I loved the nutrition portion of the book which made a lot of sense to me.

ETA: It has helped me in that just in the last month I can see physical changes to my body (like losing a full inch off of my waist, which never happened no matter my eating deficit or cardio logged), and it makes working out enjoyable for me. The early part of the program is 30 minutes or less per workout, which works great with my schedule, and the plan allows for a lot of flexibility with how often you work out.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    NROLFW seems like a good program, although I only gave it a quick read-through. I will say I thought the workout routine was kinda complicated (especially when compared with Strong Lifts or Starting Strength), but I suppose that also means it keeps things interesting.

Also, an added benefit of NROLFW is that the book has a lot of great information for beginners on diet and fitness myths to bring you up to speed and get you focused on what's important.

Stronglifts is probably my favorite program though (althought I actually do another program since I'm a little more advanced), it's the simplest from what I can tell, and it's got an EXCELLENT iPhone app which makes things much easier to manage. Starting Strength is good too though, but I think progression is a little more subjective, and I think most people need a scheduled, built in progression to make sure they are moving along.

At the end of the day though, you can't go wrong with any of the 3. Those are all good programs. they have different routines, but (and this is the key) they are all built on the same foundations, and you will get your results if you follow them.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I picked Stronglifts because it's 3x a week and it's super simple. I love the iPhone app for it, makes logging and keeping track super easy.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I started with StrongLifts, as well, back in February, for the same reasons...the simplicity of the program and 3x weekly. I really enjoyed it.
  • BandB1979
    BandB1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started with Starting Strength as well but am in my 4th stage for NWOL4W and I think it is great. Since I am getting near the end I am also looking at Strong Curves and I am trying to decide if I want to move to that and then come back or do another round of NWOL4W.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start Strong Lifts. I need/crave more strength and never done it, but heard/seen excellent results.
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I am going to do give Stronglifts a shot as it doesn't seem complicated, is free, and it has the Iphone app.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts also released a beta for android =)

ETA: http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-app-android/
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options