No time to log calories

Options
2»

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals/log in advance when you can. I've heard of some people taking pictures of their plate to remind themselves of what they ate so they can log it later. If you eat the same thing from day to day, it's easy to copy a meal

this

I prepare my lunch for the week on sunday afternoon and i pre log every evening the entire next day. It has been very helpful to me.

Good luck in your journey
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, if you have a smrtphone, its super easy to use the App. Else any day in the week, once a week, when you have some free time(which i am sure you could easily find), pre-plan and pre-log meals. This will also result in lesser time planning what to eat on that particular way. Just follow the diary ;)
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Look guys, I appreciate the 'really? If you're serious...', but the stores that sell my products have products that often are not in the database(not US). I usually manually add the food, then log in on my app, and try to log the amount of stuff I can recall.

That, plus I'm kind of lazy (I won't deny that ;) ), stress-filled, and very forgetful. If you ask me to log my salad, I probably will put in 300 calories, where it could have been 100, due to me not remember how much everything weighs.

Nonetheless, thank you guys. I'll probably get a new smartphone soon, so that should help make this much faster.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    The only reason I started logging food was the technology and database advanced to the point that entering information was easy on my phone.

OP indicates he's getting a decent phone, so that should help tremendously. Good luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Hello lads,

Very often, I would eat something, and more often than not, go do something else in a hurry (such as going to college, or going to classes). Even eating at college, I often have to glance at the packaging to guess the amounts of calories, but it never seems to stick, as I simply forget to log, or don't have time until the night.

This usually results in me 'not logging' because it just feels like an obstacle in my stressful student life. Anybody have any tips to make it easier/faster/more fun to log calories?
    It's called paper and pencil.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You could save the nutrition labels until you have time to log. Sure it sucks to carry around trash, but if you want to log, and do it seriously, you do what it takes to get it done.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    If you can find time to brush your teeth, take an occasional shower, do your laundry, surely you can find time to log your calories. Heck, you can jot things down on paper while you sit on the toilet! Being too busy is a lame excuse. It really takes hardly any time at all.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    SOLUTION - Just don't bother and come back and try it again when you are ready to lose weight.
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Okay okay guys, I get it. Maybe I should have posed the question differently.

It's not like I'm not trying (I have been doing this for quite a while now, but not very consistently).

I'm asking whether you have some 'tips' (like pen and paper (which I didn't think of), taking pictures of labels, etc) to make logging easier for a person who has no smartphone, and only has access through it on his computer*.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I found that planning my meals for the week was the way to go. Then I knew what I needed to eat to stay on track. Leave yourself a few hundred cals each day for a bag of chips or whatever you want to snack on.

You can print out your daily food diary. Print a week in advance and keep it with you.
  • bdo7
    bdo7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Calories don't make people fat.

Excuses do. ;)

But seriously, good luck sticking to it. I really do wish you the best.

It honestly doesn't take that long to log. If you can't spare 5 minutes out of your day, you might want to reevaluate your lifestyle!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If you only have a dumb-phone, just text message yourself what you ate. Then log it when you get back to your PC. Where there's a will, there's a way.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but that seems kinda lazy. If you have the app on your phone, it's a matter of scanning the bar-code...
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Really?? You had time to start this thread.

If you want something bad enough you will do it. If you aren't being consistent, then you will not get consistent results. Make a plan and stick to it - food and exercise. How do you know where you are going if you don't have a plan? How will you get there?

My suggestions for making this easier for you:

- Plan, cook and pack your food for the next day, the night before, log it then.
    - Get a little book and write any extras down, although if you had planned the night before you would not need to do this. Then add from computer when you can
    - Get a new phone, put the app on your phone and log things on the go, it is so quick and simple to do
    - Soon you will have enough in your recent items and it's even easier.
    - Don't be lazy. Again, if you want to improve yourself, you have to make a bit of effort.

Best wishes
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    If you really want to "drop the weight, lose the anxiety, and get the girl.", keep a 3x5 card in your pocket and write your food down for entry later. Low tech I know. But it works.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I log as i go along usually. unless I know i won't have time to do so the next day and then i plan all my meals and prepare them in advanced. The only times i can't properly log is when i'm out at someone elses house and i don't have a scale to measure properly or like i'm on a cheat day so i just post vague idea's.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I keep a notepad and pen in my bag. Perhaps you could keep one in your pocket or man bag?

Or use your phone and be "LOL I'm busy texting" if anyone asks what you are doing.

I dunno, the website seems kind of useless if you don't track the calories unless you are REALLY on top of that.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    It's not that you don't have time. It's that you choose to spend the time you do have doing something else.

Very important distinction, and it's amazing what you can achieve when you come to terms with that fact.

True in every aspect of life.
    Either it's a priority or it's not.
  • baileyaad
    Options
    I also work and am in university, I agree that it's difficult to track when you're eating on the go so often. So I'm packing lunches when I'm going to be out all day and pre-log in the morning. Whatever is left in my bag at the end of the day gets deleted from my log. It makes it a lot easier.