Eating more than 3x per day

Options
For those who eat small meals throughout the day, do you find your body starts to get hungry at specific times? I used to only eat 1x per day (before I decided to get healthy) and I was only ever hungry at night. After several months of eating ~5x a day, it feels like I re-trained my belly to expect food at certain times.

Just curious if this has happened to others. :)

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    For the most part, yes. However, if I have a larger than normal meal, like my lunch today, then it doesn't.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    For those who eat small meals throughout the day, do you find your body starts to get hungry at specific times? I used to only eat 1x per day (before I decided to get healthy) and I was only ever hungry at night. After several months of eating ~5x a day, it feels like I re-trained my belly to expect food at certain times.

There's nothing unhealthy about eating once per day.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I notice the same thing. I get hungry around the same times each day. 11:30 I'm ready for lunch, 3 pm I'm ready for a snack at my desk, 5:30 or so I'm hungry for dinner, and then 8:30-9 pm I have another snack before bed. I'm not sure if I'm actually all that hungry or if its just psychological because I generally eat around those times almost everyday.

But you're much better off eating 5x a day vs 1 time a day!
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I may eat 2 or 3 or 5 meals a day. Depends on how small they are and what they contain, AND I only eat if I am absolutely hungry. If I kinda want something I get a cup of hot green tea and wait until I know I am hungry and then I eat sensibly.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

When I was getting less than 1,000 calories a day there was. :wink: Sorry, I should have been more specific about that.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry, that is why I eat at least 4x a day. But yes, I'm always hungry for lunch at 12, dinner at 6 always, those meals must be on time!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

When I was getting less than 1,000 calories a day there was. :wink: Sorry, I should have been more specific about that.

THAT I can see as not being particularily healthy. Carry on. (I've noticed I'm hungry during my "normal" meal times, but after an hour it seems to subside.)
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    @cdahl383, That's an interesting point RE: getting hungry due to it being psychological versus your body actually craving food. I wonder if that's been studied?

THAT I can see as not being particularily healthy. Carry on. (I've noticed I'm hungry during my "normal" meal times, but after an hour it seems to subside.)

OMG your profile photo. That looks amazing. Carl's Jr has a pop tart ice cream sandwich now that I've been wanting to try... looks so yummy.
  • cdahl383
    Options
    Yeah I'm not sure, but it sure seems like that could be possible.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Yes. If I have been eating 5-6x per day, I am ravenous every two hours.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I used to be fine without breakfast. Now I need it.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

I used to eat breakfast because I thought I needed to. Now I am fine without it:laugh:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

I used to eat breakfast because I thought I needed to. Now I am fine without it:laugh:

If you dont eat breakfast your metabolism wont start and you will stall out
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

If you dont eat breakfast your metabolism wont start and you will stall out

That's ok...I keep jumper cables in my gym bag.:smile:
  • cdahl383
    Options
    I dont' know how people can skip breakfast in the morning. I'm always hungry when I wake up. I'd rather be 10 minutes late to work than skip breakfast and listen to my stomach growl all morning at my desk haha!