Sluggish Thyroid In need of energy

Options
So I am only 28 but I take a bag full of scripts everymorning...sad I know....I am hoping my new weightloss, exercise, healthy eating lifestyle will narrow them down, but in the mean time I need help.

I have IBS, an Ulcer & a sluggish thyroid that I am all medicated for, but you add naturally lazy & overweight to that & my energy leverl is negative 100 :)

Anyway I have started going to the gym at 6am everymorning before work (stay at home daycare mommy) but I barely make it through the day...I need some healthy ideas to help my energy.

So far I have tried
boiled eggs & peanut butter

Any suggestions.....keep in mind I am lactose intolerant so no milk/icecream & very limited on my cheese intake :) Happy day

Replies

• bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    I just started taking EBOOST. Im usually knocked out cold at 10pm because I wake up at 5am for the gym.. but yesterday I took my EBOOST at 4 and I was not ready for bed at 10. This stuff has been the only thing that gives me energy, energy drinks dont work either and neither do certain foods :-(
  • TeresaAnne38
    TeresaAnne38 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A Vitamin B complex and Vitamin D are both very good at upping energy levels.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid also and just realized last month that soy inhibits the absorbtion of levothyroxine (Synthroid), so I have cut a lot of soy out of my diet, and have no soy whatsoever within 4 hours of taking my meds. My energy has skyrocketed!

B vitamins are also good...
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I have hypothyroidism and get up at 4:00 a.m. to hit the gym every day. I want to nap time every afternoon at 1p.m. In order to stay awake I eat a lot of berries, drink plenty of water and yes I love coffee! I also like almonds in the afternoon. I also walk the dog in order to stay moving. When you find the cure to not being sleepy in the afternoon let me know! :) Good luck and stay awake!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    If you have thyroid problems, have you thought of going to see an endocrinologist? Was it the family doc that medicated you?

Also - I was told when I was a teenager that I had IBS, and I had 2 very very ba ulcers that got so bad I was hospitilized... turned out I have Celiac's Disease, not IBS (meaning no gluten allowed). Since then, and the diet adjustments, life has been so much better, and my energy levels have soared, plus I haven't had another ulcer.

That said, if you are sluggish and have an ulcer, you are likly low in blood, meaning low in iron, and should see the doc pretty quick to be put on iron supplements.

Special hint - Your body needs Vitamen C to absorb iron, but you have to eat C every day because your body can't store it. Also, Calcium PREVENTS proper iron absorbtion - so don't eat the 2 together (about 3 hours apart is recommended).
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    For me, cutting out most dairy, all soy and all grains (except steel cut oats) has helped my energy tremendously!! Also, cut down my fruit intake..........

so the staples of my eating plan are lots of protein (fat included), lot of veggies, bits of fruit and nuts and seeds in liberal amounts.......

I also switched from Synthroid over to (dessicated) natural Thyroid (Westhroid)
  • laurenmalone
    Options
    OK how expensive is EBOOST? Is it full of vitamins & healthy stuff?

How did you find out you had celiac's disease? Yes an endochronoligist diagnosed me & prescribed my meds & it helped a ton but I still have a hard time staying energized. I am curious about the glueten though.

I also take centrum, daily vit C & have been put on an iron supplement....interesting to know calcium prevents iron from absorbing...thank you

Thank you all so much for all of your input...I will start trying new stuff immediately....I just started mfp on Monday & I love it & all you positive people already....THANKS AGAIN
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump