Sugars?

Options
So after a few days back on the wagon at MFP, I found out where my downfall is (work cafeteria food, by far). Fixed that. HOWEVER, my sugars are ALWAYS above goal. But Not because of junk or anything. Always due to my new habit of eating fruit. I LOVE fruit. Are the sugars created equal? Do I have to worry about being over goal causing issues for weight loss if it is from a healthy source?

Replies

• Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have a medical reason to avoid the sugar (diabetes), and you stay in your calorie range, eat your fruit. It's good for you! I took the sugar column off of my log completely for the same reason.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories not a micronutrient or even a specific macronutrient. As long as it fits your calorie goal you are good.
  • sarahmax0817
    Options
    I have noticed similar issues since I started tracking on MFP. I think one day I had a 80 calorie greek yogurt, an apple, and a visalus protein shake and I was over my sugars b/c of the apple!!! I was shocked b/c it was not even lunch time yet :) I guess you just have to realize these were good sugars not coming from a snickers bar.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    6 such thread today alone?

OP - ignore it. It doesn't matter except it terms of fitting into your calorie and macro goals, i.e. make sure you cover your nutritional needs before you dig into the Twinkies. And as for cutting down on fruit, well, you know already, that's just crazy talk.
  • Deborah100660
    Deborah100660 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I track fiber over sugar. It is important to get enough fiber. Unless you are diabetic, eating fruit shouldn't be much of a concern. Your diet should be balanced with protein, etc and low sodium.
  • luvche
    Options
    Well, I feel better. Because I immediately found the culprit in my salt intake being too much. As well as fats.....and OF COURSE calories. But my sugars keep coming out to double my goal! But not because of twinkies (mmmmmmmmmm twiiinkies)....because of my fruit! I will track my fiber over sugars......and stick to my "apple a day". And grapes. And banana.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017237-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-faq

If you're insulin resistant then choosing lower sugar / starch fruits may help with weight loss. The bloodstream has no idea of the origin of the sugars arriving in it.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Well, I feel better. Because I immediately found the culprit in my salt intake being too much. As well as fats.....and OF COURSE calories. But my sugars keep coming out to double my goal! But not because of twinkies (mmmmmmmmmm twiiinkies)....because of my fruit! I will track my fiber over sugars......and stick to my "apple a day". And grapes. And banana.

There is nothing wrong with going over fats. Fats help absorption of vitamins, skin health, brain function, etc. It also increases satiety. Also, MFP is generally low on protein and fats. I would suggest changing your macro's to around 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. This generally allows for 1g of protein and .35g of fats per lbm of lean body mass.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I have noticed similar issues since I started tracking on MFP. I think one day I had a 80 calorie greek yogurt, an apple, and a visalus protein shake and I was over my sugars b/c of the apple!!! I was shocked b/c it was not even lunch time yet :) I guess you just have to realize these were good sugars not coming from a snickers bar.

Even if the sugar was from a snickers, it wouldn't matter. Sugar isn't bad for you. It won't stop weight loss. The only thing it could potentially do is cause person to binge more and even then, it's very person dependent. Heck, I eat klondike bars every night and I still lose weight and maintain my muscle mass.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories not a micronutrient or even a specific macronutrient. As long as it fits your calorie goal you are good.

^^^^Unless your body has an issue with any such Macro...

Your fruit will NOT harm you or cause an issue. I HAVE to watch my sugars because of my body's tolerance for it. BUT, that does NOT include my fruits...I could them separate! Unfortunately, this site does not distinguish between fruits and "bad" sugars. I have to track that separate. :-)

GOOD LUCK and ENJOY Your fruit!!!! :-)
  • MommaKit79
    Options

Even if the sugar was from a snickers, it wouldn't matter. Sugar isn't bad for you. It won't stop weight loss. The only thing it could potentially do is cause person to binge more and even then, it's very person dependent. Heck, I eat klondike bars every night and I still lose weight and maintain my muscle mass.

^^^^Unless you have a problem processing sugars. If I consume too much "bad" sugars & carbs, my body doesn't like it and holds on to everything it can. It Sucks!!
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Don't get consumed with the little things that don't matter. Just worry about your calories. That's not to say that your macros aren't important, but in the end worrying about things like sugar or salt or the plethora of other things people worry about don't matter. People tend to see things here and in other places and think that they are never going to be able to lose weight because of this or that. Most of it is simply a minor detail that, if your calorie intake is right on, won't make or break your weight loss attempts. That's why all the "fad diets" are so successful at making money, they make people believe all sorts of things to get their money. Calories in Calories out. Then once you have that basic understanding down, your miles ahead of most people struggling to lose weight.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

^^^^Unless you have a problem processing sugars. If I consume too much "bad" sugars & carbs, my body doesn't like it and holds on to everything it can. It Sucks!!

Right. It's not a matter of too many calories . . . smh
  • psuLemon
    Options

Are you insulin resistant?
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Is there a medical term for this? I have never heard of that...