Camping Snacks

trotters24
trotters24 Posts: 68
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I am going camping with a large group of people next week and really want to keep my calories in check without being the "health freak" of the bunch.

Does anyone have any good foods or snacks that can be made ahead of time? I would like to avoid the typical potato chips and cookies that get shared among the group. We are camping for 5 days so I will need an abundance of snacks to keep the hubby and myself satisfied!

Thanks!

Replies

• dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    look up boy scout omlettes....you cook them in a ziplock bag....extra lean turkey jerky.....trail mix(you can make your own with your fav nuts and dehyradted fruits, and those cliff bars

also, they have veggie straws, whhc have the same crunch as potato chips, but made out of good veggies
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220

also, they have veggie straws, whhc have the same crunch as potato chips, but made out of good veggies

veggie straws are so yum!
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    turkey jerky!!! trail mix is always a good one...i made rice crispy treats...i also brought tons of fruit.,.,.you would think people would not want fruit and just eat junk but after a day or two of camping i brought my pre-cut apples and grapes out everyone went for them! and i made my own granola bars. even though they are a "healthy food" people always want to try something homemade :)
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    i have been buying Ruffles Light.. It has 80 cals in 17 chips and it's fat free!! Seriously 1/2 the cals of regular ruffles and zero fat and they are so delicious!!
  • Kasuko
    Kasuko Posts: 42
    If you are going car camping the above is all great. Just grab any healthy snack and go.

BUT If you are doing any exercise though remember you should be eating those calories. This means if you are backpacking or hiking you should be seeing a drastic increase in calorie intact! This is important, the trail is no place to be cutting calories. Your body just can't convert fat to fuel at the speed needed during long strenuous exercises.

That's not to say go crazy and eat junk food. Just make sure your body gets what it needs. This is myFITNESSpal not myWEIGHTLOSSpal, emphasis on the being healthy.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    When we go camping we eat the same snacks we eat at home. Fruits, veggies, Laughing Cow cheese, nuts, peanut butter, etc. It takes a cooler and ice to keep things cool, but it can be done. I do recommend putting anything you don't want to get wet in a ziplock bag! Eating while camping does not have to be different from eating any other day. It just requires more planninng. If you want ideas, just send me a message and I'll try to help out! (We go camping at least 4 times a year.)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    you could make your own granola bars, or some sort of "bar"

take a big bag of popcorn, air popped even better

take a couple flavored seltzer (not diet sodas, but the carbonated waters) and mix with 100% fruit juice
  • pchristie
    pchristie Posts: 38
    I am so glad you asked this question. We are going camping for 2 weeks, and I am so worried. I have been doing so well. I think i have even actually lost some weight this week. I will find out tomorrow when I weigh in, but I know that I have a huge chance of blowing it all while camping because it's so easy with everyone eating burgers, hot dogs, pot salad, chips, beer, margaritas, etc.

One of the things I have going for me is that I am running a 10K the follwing Saturday, so I can't drink too much or I will be junk for that. Also, I need to run while I'm camping because if I don't, my time will be awful. There is a 3-mile dirt road leading to the campground I am planning on running in the mornings out and back. That should help.

We go every year, and every year I over consume. So this is what I am going to bring: Lots of fruits and veggies, homemade energy bars from the P90x cookbook that I already made and froze, lots of bottled water, my workout dvds and my laptop.

If you are going with a bunch of people, maybe you can find someone to work out with you in the morning or afternoon. That might help you at least maintain everything you have accomplished. Last year I made running dates with friends, then, the first day we were there, as we were setting up the tent, I tripped over the cord and pulled my calf muscle so badly I could barely walk the whole week. I cried i was so frustrated. That won't happen again. Good luck and have fun:happy:
  • trotters24
    Thanks for all the tips!

We are going camping at a large campsite, but we won't be doing any hiking or running on trails. It is actually for a 3-day outdoor country music festival. So there will be lots of grilling (turkey brats are my new fave!), snacking, and of course beer :drinker:

I was thinking of popping some kettlecorn (another of my new faves) and bringing that for a light snack when everyone is munching! We make what we call "Hobo Dinners" ahead of time: use 9x9 aluminum square pan, chop carrots, potatoes, onions, layer in bottom of pan, drizzle with EVOO. Flatten 1 lb hamburger (could probably sub. ground turkey) over top of veggies, season as desired. Place 6 small pats of margarine (I use Smart Balance) evenly on top of meat. Cover with tin foil. We place these in the cooler and try to make them the first or second day of camping. Place on the grill, about 30-45 min, viola! Everyone is always jealous when they are eating their boring hot dogs :laugh:

Can't wait to try out all of your yummy suggestions! I wish I could say I would fit in some cardio but it is vacation for me! We do walk quite a bit every day between the various campsites and to the concerts (quite a trek!)
  • shanpgh
    shanpgh Posts: 10 Member
    This is a great little snack mix. (sweet and salty, crunchy and chewy!)
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/claire-robinson/pumpkin-seed-dried-cherry-trail-mix-recipe/index.html

Also, you can make your own whole wheat pita chips with a little cinnamon and sugar or sea salt and cracked black pepper. Baked tortilla chips with fresh salsa is a much healthier alternative. Don't forget about popcorn!

If your group makes smores, use a little bit of chocolate syrup instead of a chocolate bar, same flavor but fewer calories and no fat. And if you make mountain pies/hobo pies, use Pam on the iron, light bread and light pie filling or make it savory with some light mozzarella, tomato sauce and turkey pepperoni.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    I chop up red potatoes, red peppers, white onions. garlic. Throw in a zip lock, drizzle Olive Oil, salt and pepper and a little rosemary. Shake well about a day in advance. Fry it up for breakfast with some eggs..

Oh yeah...Jack Daniels, too. Goes good in Hot Chocolate, Coffee, Coke. Great around the campfire.
  • trotters24
    Haha, Jack Daniels...now that's my kind of tip! I'll be sure to follow that one! :wink:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    If you are going car camping the above is all great. Just grab any healthy snack and go.

BUT If you are doing any exercise though remember you should be eating those calories. This means if you are backpacking or hiking you should be seeing a drastic increase in calorie intact! This is important, the trail is no place to be cutting calories. Your body just can't convert fat to fuel at the speed needed during long strenuous exercises.

That's not to say go crazy and eat junk food. Just make sure your body gets what it needs. This is myFITNESSpal not myWEIGHTLOSSpal, emphasis on the being healthy.

I agree with this. You burn a lot more calories camping. The bathroom is typicly a few hundred yards away, you walk everywhere etc.

And I also agree with Lisa. Eat the same stuff you do at home.
This discussion has been closed.