do I really need to eat back 1800 calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I don't know your details but for the record I am 196 lbs and when I run 4 miles I burn around 600 calories. You went more than double so 1800 might not be too far off. Congrats on the amazing run.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    For everyone saying that 1800 is overinflated, just wanted to share my anecdotal evidence that it may not be. When running about 4.25 miles, my HRM (I know it's still not the most accurate way to log calorie burn, but it's more accurate than MFP or online calculators and the most accurate method I have) says I burn around 850 calories so 10 miles would be around 1800 for me too. I weigh about the same as OP (within 15lbs difference), and my HR during those runs is usually around 80-90% of max.

Just throwing it out there. Would you run at that same pace for 10 miles?
    Good question. I haven't run 10 miles yet, but I do try to keep a consistent pace. My 4.25 is consistent, hence the high calorie burns since my HR is high during the entire run.

Fair enough, but comparing the burn of a 4.25 mile run at 80-90% to a 10 miler is kind of apples to oranges IMHO. I'll stop hijacking the thread though.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    For everyone saying that 1800 is overinflated, just wanted to share my anecdotal evidence that it may not be. When running about 4.25 miles, my HRM (I know it's still not the most accurate way to log calorie burn, but it's more accurate than MFP or online calculators and the most accurate method I have) says I burn around 850 calories so 10 miles would be around 1800 for me too. I weigh about the same as OP (within 15lbs difference), and my HR during those runs is usually around 80-90% of max.

Just throwing it out there. Would you run at that same pace for 10 miles?
    Good question. I haven't run 10 miles yet, but I do try to keep a consistent pace. My 4.25 is consistent, hence the high calorie burns since my HR is high during the entire run.

Fair enough, but comparing the burn of a 4.25 mile run at 80-90% to a 10 miler is kind of apples to oranges IMHO. I'll stop hijacking the thread though.
    I understand. That's why I said it was anecdotal and that it "may not" be overinflated.

It's nice to occasionally have an actual, respectful conversation on here sometimes. Some people don't know how to do that. :flowerforyou:

I'll stop hijacking now too. :smile:
  • Algerjab
    Options
    Definitely need to eat more than 1600 a day if you are going to run that far. You do not want to be at a huge deficit, maybe just 400-1000 a day not much more than that.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I should also clarified that I don't usually run as far as I did tonight I just wanted to see how far I could go and I made 10 and a half miles my normal Run is from 2 to 4 miles.

I wouldn't worry about it if this is an anomaly.