Weigh lifting for women

Options

Replies

• Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    in b4 stronglifts plug. oops too late

Do you have a routine that you would recommend then?

I mentioned quite a few recently in some of my previous very recent posts, search my history.

Edit: I did look - not seeing a recommendation..but I did see SL mentioned

I mentioned stronglifts along with many other programs and lifting styles.

Agreed. However, many are not that appropriate for brand new lifters, so it would be confusing to the OP. They are solid programs however.

I wouldn't recommend PHAT for newbies but Starting Strength, 5/3/1, basic push/pull workout, or Greyskull LP would work. Recently seen a newbie use Madcow (considered intermediate) and Doggcrapp to make great gains.

If you grow bored with the structure of something like stronglifts, you could even do a three or four day bodysplit which are generally not recommended for beginner lifters by the bro community.

wait, or the New Rules of Lifting for women. lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    in b4 stronglifts plug. oops too late

Do you have a routine that you would recommend then?

I mentioned quite a few recently in some of my previous very recent posts, search my history.

Edit: I did look - not seeing a recommendation..but I did see SL mentioned

I mentioned stronglifts along with many other programs and lifting styles.

Agreed. However, many are not that appropriate for brand new lifters, so it would be confusing to the OP. They are solid programs however.

I wouldn't recommend PHAT for newbies but Starting Strength, 5/3/1, basic push/pull workout, or Greyskull LP would work. Recently seen a newbie use Madcow (considered intermediate) and Doggcrapp to make great gains.

If you grow bored with the structure of something like stronglifts, you could even do a three or four day bodysplit which are generally not recommended for beginner lifters by the bro community.

wait, or the New Rules of Lifting for women. lol

I do 5/3/1 myself, but I am not a new lifter. I have thought about PHAT but really enjoy 5/3/1 and have had made great progress on it so am sticking with it (or a modified version of it at least). I am not a fan of 3 or 4 days splits for new lifters for a number of reasons however. especially those on a deficit.

I have had a look at Greyskull LP - seems to have some pros and cons to it, but I am not aware of too many people that have run it so that is just from looking at the programming.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    5/3/1 has a beginner routine where you squat twice a week. The explanations in the book on how to perform the lifts aren't that adequate, though.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I started with NROLFW. I felt like the book gave me the hand holding I needed at the beginning, and I liked that I could use dumbbellsfor a lot of it which wasn't as intimidating. In stage four, I became bored with the program and switched to strong lifts. I am much happier with a simpler, shorter program, and I don't have to carry pen and paper around to keep track of things. I'm also happy with the strength gains I've made. Either of those programs are quite solid for a beginner.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I was reading that doing deadlifts releases testosterone. I suppose other exercises do that, as well. I want to gain strength and protect my bones, but I sure don't need any more body hair or whatever from testosterone.
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was reading that doing deadlifts releases testosterone. I suppose other exercises do that, as well. I want to gain strength and protect my bones, but I sure don't need any more body hair or whatever from testosterone.

Link?
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Body for life is a decent program - it's simple and it works. I'm currently doing NROL4W, but I did that because I can do it at home with dumbbells and my total gym.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I don't follow anything specific. I do my own lifting "routine". I work one muscle group per day and alternate legs and abs. I also do 30 min cardio.

For example:

M: 30 min. cardio Chest/abs
    T: 30 min. cardio back/legs
    W: 30 min cardio shoulders/abs
    Th: 30 min. cardio tri's/legs
    Fr: 30 min cardio bi's/abs

I switch up the equipment every week and change up the exercises. For legs and abs I do something different to target different areas.
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Not really true. Lifting will not turn women in manly she beasts.

That's something men like to believe will help boost their T. But just being in better shape and lean will help raise T levels in men.

Lift like a man and build some core strength. Get an Olympic bar and do compound lifts.

Women that build strength from lifting accentuate their feminine curves.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You will not get more body hair from doing deadlifts. Where were you reading this?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    5/3/1 has a beginner routine where you squat twice a week. The explanations in the book on how to perform the lifts aren't that adequate, though.

Yep. The main issues that I have is that there are less total reps so less 'practice' for form, plus there is a lot of flexibility for assists. While this is great and the flexibility of 5/3/1 is one of the things I like about it, it does not give a new lifter much guidance as to which ones are best for their goals. I actually squat 2 x a week on the 'standard' 5/3/1.
  • michail71
    Options
    Hi

What weight lifting program do you ladies do? I have been told about 5x5 stronglifts but this seems hardcore, then there is the the new rules of lifting for women but its a little complicated. I just wondered if there are any tried and tested simple programs that I could try that aren't too intimidating and won't "add 25lbs of muscle"

I'm not losing anything with just cardio so really need to incorporate weights.

Thanks in advance
    Jit

You would have to eat like horse, lift perfectly and have amazing genetics to gain 25 lbs of muscle. If you could you should be a fitness model within a year.

Most lifters that try hard will gain about 1 lbs per month of eating 500 calories+ over their TDEE. I'm a man and spent the past year on 3200 calories and managed to put on about 10 lbs of muscle. I fought hard to make those gains and got sick of having to eat so much.
  • michail71
    Options

Yep. The main issues that I have is that there are less total reps so less 'practice' for form, plus there is a lot of flexibility for assists. While this is great and the flexibility of 5/3/1 is one of the things I like about it, it does not give a new lifter much guidance as to which ones are best for their goals. I actually squat 2 x a week on the 'standard' 5/3/1.

I agree, plus 5/3/1 is really great for anyone that's progressed to the point they can no longer progress rapidly. Not someone who has beginner gaining potential.

Stronglifts is one of the most effective and easy to follow programs out there for beginners. Even if it seems so, it's not really that "hard core" either. Most of these programs are rather simple and quick. They don't mess around with countless accessory type isolation exercises but just focus on compound lifts. The mistake many beginners make is they think they need to do curls, flies, endless crunches, etc.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    In to remind me to show this thread to my wife. 2 pages of lifting for women discussion, and it hasn't gotten stupid in here. Very encouraging.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Firstly muscles don't know if you are a man or woman, second do you realize how long it would take to put on 25lbs of muscle or the work and dedication it would involve?

Stronglifts, starting strength, New rules all great programs.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

You will not get more body hair from doing deadlifts. Where were you reading this?

Agreed. My personal experience, I have PCOS and create more testosterone than I should anyway, I lift heavy and follow SL 5X5. My results have been nothing but phenomenal. I have lost fat, become stronger and lost inches like crazy even though the scale hasn't really budged. I haven't gained 25 lbs of muscle either or any extra body hair. Don't be scared of the heavy weights or lifting like a man, I guarantee you'll love the results!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I started with NROL4W and then switched to Nia Shanks which I like better. However, all of the information in the NROL4W book is excellent and I believe should be recommended reading even if you do not follow that program.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I think you misunderstand what 'release of testosterone' in this context means. It does not mean that you will grow more body hair.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I know what they are talking about, but excess body hair can certainly be a side affect of too much testosterone in women.