poison ivy

Options
Ok so I have Poison ivy. The doctor told me that I have to stay cool other wise the rash will continue to spread....not something I want or need to happen.....and I am to do this till my meds are gone which is 18 days.....ok that is a long time to go without exercise so anyone have suggestions....also it is getting fall time thus swimming is less and less of an option as the waters are getting colder and some days it is only 50-60 out

Replies

• LFG95
    LFG95 Posts: 13
    Options
    How about a swimsuit(like the seal skin-type)? Bout' the best I can come up with
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    All I can think of is possibly a gentle form of yoga for some activity or just eat your MFP calorie goal.
  • sarwatf
    sarwatf Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't know how cool you need to be exactly but couldn't you do some very low intensity cardio ( ie walking basically ) -- won't do anything for your fitness at v low intensity but might burn some cals anyway .... or do some strength training ( again need to pace that -- gets my heart rate up in no time)
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I've had small patches of poison ivy before - I didn't know there were meds you could take or that heat makes it spread! I just dealt with it and suffered through it. Can you walk at a slow or leisurely pace indoors or outdoors? Stretching and simple yoga moves also burn a few calories... Every little bit counts..
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You're right, Alecia, heat does NOT make it spread, as long as all of the urushiol oil has been washed off your skin. That's the only thing that will make it spread. Sometimes, in really bad cases, prednisone will be prescribed.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/allergies/skin-allergies/question170.htm

I had a really bad case last year and carried on with my normal workouts with no issues.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have washed many times even sleeping in different bed and bedding yet it still spreads so the information you are posting is not completely correct I am even in a different environment than when I first had contact with it and have been for almost 2 weeks yet it still spreads. Started out on just my one leg than the other leg than my arms then my neck and yesterday under my eye so yes for some it does spread.

edit: I even washed everything I was wearing when I cam into contact with it including my shoes, glasses, hair band, clothing, body, dogs, bedding. Dr told me specifically that regardless of what the internet states hot showers and getting hot actually can spread the rash for some individuals, not all but some, I happen to be one of those people
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/poison-ivy/DS00774/DSECTION=causes

So, the Mayo Clinic is wrong? The rash appears to spread because your skin breaks out at different rates after contact. I didn't get the rash on my face until 4 days after the rash on my arms broke out.
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    PI is no fun! Maybe exercise in the shower? http://www.ulive.com/video/feel-the-power-in-the-shower
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you heard your doc right? Heat doesn't make poison ivy spread. Once you come in contact with the oils break outs might not show up completely for days after contact which makes people think it is spreading. Heat can be an irritant but doesn't make it spread.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hmm, just did another one on this,
    stay away from that crap.
    did you not know what it looked like?
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Considering I just broke out 2 days ago under my eye and the first sign will be 2 weeks ago this Thursday.....the 4 days till break doesn't jive again have not had contact again with it in over 2 weeks and just because the mayo says it to be true does not mean it can be proven wrong....this happens every time there is a break through in medical advancement if this were not the case than people would still be bleed out to get rid of certain diseases like the did back in the day. Except that some people may respond differently to things than others
  • delisep
    delisep Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Truddy, my daughter and hubby are very allergic to PI and it does seem that exposure to heat does make it worse. I think the yoga idea sounds great until you get better, You could just try different things and see how you do. The bottom line is everyone is different and we all react differently. The good news is this is temporary. Take care of the allergic reaction and take care of yourself.