Bow Hunting - Calories burned

Options
The only closely related activity I can find in the exercise database is 'Archery - Non-hunting' which can be used for practice sessions, so that's good. But bow season is coming up and Hubby was curious how many calories he'd be burning every time he goes out. I've tried Googling for the information but have been unsuccessful. The walking part is easy, except he carries a load of equipment at the same time. I didn't see anything for walking with added weight. What I can't find is how many calories are burned using a climbing treestand. Anybody have an idea? Thanks! :)

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I think there is a "hiking with a 10lb pack" selection in the exercises. But even that depending on the walk, it is just an estimate. I wouldnt stress the calories for climbing trees and stuff, it's going to vary widely.
    Hopefully he gets to burn a lot of calories dragging one out of the woods!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Honestly, unless you have dropped a deer and have to carry it out of the woods I wouldn't count hunting. Especially since 90% of a bow hunter's hunt is sitting in a tree stand.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The hike in and out to the stand counts. Sitting in the stand doesn't.
  • Karababy51
    Karababy51 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Honestly, unless you have dropped a deer and have to carry it out of the woods I wouldn't count hunting. Especially since 90% of a bow hunter's hunt is sitting in a tree stand.

You're right, 90% of time spent bow hunting is sitting in the tree stand. But the walk in carrying the stand on his back, plus his bow, a backpack full of daily essentials, wearing heavy boots and hunting clothes for 1/2 mile in an out slogging through snow or tall grass is quite a work-out. We added it up and that's an extra 35 lbs. at least. Then once he gets to his tree, he uses his climbing tree stand, still wearing the heavy boots, hunting clothes and equipment hanging from it to climb 10-15 ft. to his position. I have to believe that burns a lot of calories! He does this every day he goes out during bow season. ;)

rybo - Thanks for the tip about 'hiking with a 10 lb. pack' that'll help for part of it. I hope he harvests a deer too, we love venison. It's one of the leanest meats you can eat and absolutely delicious. :)
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Not much -- bow hunting is mostly sitting in a stand and trying not to move. When you do move on a stalk or to relocate you move VERY CAREFULLY and SLOWLY.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    if it's 35lbs of gear, then calculate his calories as if he weighed 35lbs more.

I did a quick check myself. it's only 27 more calories to walk a mile with gear compared to no gear.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that it's not substantial enough to really give it a whole lot of thought and effort trying to determine some exact figure.