Exercising while working

Options
Does anybody have any tips for trying to stay active while working an office desk job?
I love to work out in the early mornings, which gives me energy for the day, but my job requires me to sit behind a desk all day, and feel that this does not contribute towards my attempt to stay fit.
Any tips or advice??

Replies

• jcancino
    jcancino Posts: 1
    Options
    I'd like to hear some ideas on this as well, I'm in the same situation.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are in a building with more than one story but I get up every couple hours and run up flights of stairs for five minutes. Even if you just have a sec every hour run up one or two flights of stairs. This of course will be difficult if you wear heels to work. ;) I also keep lil' 4 lb weights at my desk and lift them when I am on the phone.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Get up and moving during your breaks and go for a walk or run at lunch.
  • AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Options
    Hi there! I too have a desk job...I make it a point to take a 25 or 30 min walk on my lunch break. On rainy days I try to walk up to the top floor of my building (10 floors) and back down. a few times a day. Its amazing how many calories you can burn doing stairs!

Good Luck!

:flowerforyou:
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    On days that it's not too hot, I walk on my lunch break. There's a track about a mile from my office. I try to get 3 miles in if I have time. There's also a pool next door, but i'm not ambitious enough to change and shower in such a short period of time.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Can you bring an exercise ball into the office and keep it at your desk? I love to sit on it instead of my chair and bounce bounce bounce! Feels good to stretch on it too :)
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Beachbody sent this newsletter back in May. It is issue #170, may 06, 2010, "Working out at Work." Here, try this link:

http://teambeachbody.com/about/newsletters/-/nli/170#54710135
  • karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    love the bouncing on ball suggestion, will try that! thanks:smile:
  • vanessa_wilson
    Options
    I usually wear tight pencil skirts at work. It might look funny with me bouncing on it wearing skirts. But sounds fun!
  • vanessa_wilson
    Options
    Not sure if you are in a building with more than one story but I get up every couple hours and run up flights of stairs for five minutes. Even if you just have a sec every hour run up one or two flights of stairs. This of course will be difficult if you wear heels to work. ;) I also keep lil' 4 lb weights at my desk and lift them when I am on the phone.

I like this idea! I am on the 3rd floor. If I'm running late I usually take the stairs and run up instead of waiting for elevator to come down. Heels can get in the way sometimes. I like the weights I think Ill get one just for work! thanks
  • layny89
    layny89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I really like the ideas on that newsletter. Thanks for that!

Found something called the office workout. http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blofficeworkout.htm