Question about double workouts

Options
I go to the gym with my boyfriend first thing in the morning before work. We do heavy lifting for roughly 45 minutes. We do this in a cycle of 2 days on 1 day off. During the work week (Monday through Friday) I workout with the girls on my lunch break, this is usually 30 to 40 minutes. We usually do Chalene Extreme which is lifting. My question is, should I for go the lifting in the afternoon and do cardio or is 2 lifting sessions in one day ok?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• debbie14892
    debbie14892 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Anyone with helpful suggestions?
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Personally I do 20-40minutes of kettlebell exercises in the am then jillian michaels ripped in 30 in the evening and its been going well. I like doing the split workouts and its been going well for me. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will help x
  • debbie14892
    debbie14892 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I do not mind 2 workouts during the day I was just wondering if it's ok to do 2 strengh workouts in one day or if I should do cardio for the second one.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    If you feel OK then keep it up, but some might question whether you're giving your muscles enough recovery time.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily OK.

If you're a beginner or you are doing circuit style weights, you will likely be fine.

However if you're serious about your workout, the muscles you worked out in the morning will be zapped. And they should be given sufficient rest to recover, which means at least 24-48 hours.

So you can do two workouts per day. Arnold did that. But conventional wisdom says don't work the same muscles on the same day or even back to back days.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Today and tomorrow are both "Double Gym Days" for me too. I will go at lunch for approximately 40 mins and then both evenings for 1.5-2 hours. I like it and it works well for me on the rare occasion I get to do this.

As for your question, I am nowhere near an expert or knowledgable on what would be best...but, in my opinion I think you are fine however you do it. Throwing in some curveballs to keep your body guessing now and then would be a good idea though.

Good luck! Hopefully you get some educated answers to this as I am also curious.

:smile:

ETA after reading the above comment...I personally will train two separate body parts if I have a double gym day. Today is going to be chest and legs. I am unsure about the OP though.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    If you're not too tired or feeling like it's too much then you should be fine.

The place I used to work at had a fitness center and I would sometimes do double workouts. I'd get up early to be there for 6, do 30 min. of cardio, 45 min. lifting then at least two to three days in the afternoon I'd head back down and do one of their aerobic classes.

Even now sometimes if I'm in the mood (and I get my *kitten* up early in the morning to hit the gym) I'll throw another round of cardio in the mix in the afternoon in the way of a run, bike ride, DVD or a brisk walk with the dog.

I train a different muscle group every day and alternate legs and abs so I'm always lifting and my cardio consists of running 3x a week and doing the arc trainer 2x a week.

As long as you don't feel like it's too much it should be fine.

(Now you're making me want to go back to doubles!):smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do 2 strength session in one day.

I don't see any issue with strength and cardio (Depending on the type of cardio to be honest)... I've been doing 2 a days to cut for an event... but it's slow steady state cardio- so the stepper- or spinning on my own. Or walking on a heavy incline treadmill.

One of my buddies asked me to come do spin class with him yesterday- and I just couldn't. Not enough energy- and that's just TOO much.... too much for having already done 45 on the stepper- and a lift session yet to come. So I wouldn't go crazy with repping PR's and lifting super heavy- then going to do a high intensity spin class or like super crazy body pump/boot camp class. At some point you're going to injure yourself. Even if you don't feel tired- your body might give out first.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you're doing. Remember that if you're going to workout twice then one workout should compliment the other, not replicate it in some form. If you do strength training in the morning, then maybe the evening is just cardio or plyometrics