To the woman I see on Rt 4 in MA

Options
You know who you are.

I see you sometimes in the morning, a pained look on your face while you run. Support band around your leg under your left knee.

I see you more often on an old school geared cruiser bike while on my commute home from Lincoln, MA. I'm the one that always looks at you and gives you the thumbs up, but you never notice, the pain on your face however, is plainly there.

You ride that bike for miles, don't you? Sometimes I see you in Concord, MA on rt 62. Most of the time it's Rt 4 in Billerica, or sometimes Bedford. I don't know where you are going to or where you are coming from, but when I see you, it must be at a point where you are pretty far into your ride. You're rolling, but you look like you're in pain.

But you are not quitting.

I see you in the rain, in the morning, in the cold, in the heat without fail, I see you riding that bike. And when I see you, you look like you are in pain.

Sometimes I see people in road bikes flying past you at almost 15mph faster than you going uphill. You don't even notice, because you have your own task.

I applaud you Ma'am. Because without fail, you are DOING IT every day.

EVERY DAY.

Keep going, you're doing fantastic! I look forward to giving you a thumbs up on my commute later today like I do every day. Maybe you'll see it, maybe you won't, but I'll do it any way, because you are DOING IT. And that motivates the hell out of me.

I just have one piece of advice for you. Make that hill in Billerica your *****, and smile when you're doing it.....

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Love this post. I too often see people out walking, running or biking and can tell that they are either just beginning or are really struggling with their workout and I just want to run up and hug them. That would probably be a bit awkward though so I resist.

When you have been in their shoes it is so easy to see how awesome they are. I'm still fairly new at this myself and I know that people in better shape then me probably look at me the same way.

We are all on our own journey toward weight loss or better fitness or whatever our motivation is. We have all started not knowing what we are doing and probably looking pretty pathetic doing it. The awesome part is that we are all doing it, we have made a choice to get out there and do something for ourselves and we are doing it. We are doing it!!!

Thumbs up to everyone out there who is out there working toward their goals :)
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    This made me teary eyed while reading....there is something incredibly powerful about this woman who can inspire others to be more than they are just because she's riding a bike. I wish I were her. God luv ya for not only noticing, but for silently cheering her on, and for making her an anonymous hero :drinker:
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    People like you OP make me want to continue on my journey. It's the people that high five and hug and even thumbs up that make me push harder. I really hope she see's you one day.... because you never know just how much that could really mean to her.

What a wonderful/compassionate person you are. Thank you so much for being who you are. :flowerforyou:
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    Honestly would love it if she was on MFP and saw this!!! Or Sees you one day giving her a thumbs up! Would be awesome and might just make her day/week!

Had me teary eyed too!!!
  • rondabug
    Options
    Same here-tears, but with more determination than I've felt in a good while. You better believe your post will cross my mind when I drag my butt out of bed tomorrow at 5am to get in a few miles of walking before heading off to work.

Thumbs up to both of you...You, out there every day rain or shine making change happen, and you...noticing the effort and determination, making change happen for the rest of us as well! Thank you!!
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Love.This.Post!
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    :heart: awesome post!
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: LOVE :heart: :heart:
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Awesome!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    What a thoughtful tribute!
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Love, love this post... :love: :heart: :drinker:
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    winning. never change ! Thank you for silently cheering this warrior on. We all need encouragement..even if we don't notice someone doing it. Wish more people were like this! <3
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Awesome post OP!
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    This was amazing! Joining you in a thumbs up for this determined lady! :flowerforyou:
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    As a fellow Massachusetts resident, I fully expected this post to be a rant against a bad driver, as there are many here.

However, I was pleasantly surprised. Great post.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Awww....so sweet! Love this!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!

I passed someone on the trails Sunday when I finished doing sprint intervals who was obviously just starting running and I nodded to him and gave him a thumbs up. He just looked embarrassed and ashamed so I felt guilty, I wanted to go back and run with him and tell him how great he was doing.
  • decdav
    decdav Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Great post!