How do you fit your workout into your daily routine?

Options
For the past 2 days I have been off work and have found myself taking our beagle dog out for a walk around the apartment complex. Yes, we both need it - BUT it is so very humid and hot here (like everywhere else I'm sure). I go back to work tomorrow and work Monday - Friday 8-5. I usually leave my house around 7:15 to get to work about 7:30 (In reality). I would like to know how everyone else fits there walk/run/workout into their daily routine.

Replies

• airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    I do my routine after work since I am usually at work by 6:30 am.
    No way am I getting up at O-dark-thirty to go for a walk or bike ride.:laugh: :laugh:
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I just do it whenever the kids are quiet and happy to play for 20-30mins. I use ripped in 30 and kettlebell circuits 20-40mins so I get in 40-60mins a day 5 days a week.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK so it isn't hot here.

I leave for work /drop baby off at 7.30am and get home at 6pm. I usually play with baby, give him supper, put him to bed etc. Then workout before our supper at 7.30/8 (ish).

Luckily I only work 3 days so on my days off I try and workout when baby naps but I also do all my housework then too so often workout once baby is in bed (same as work days).

I sometimes find it hard to be honest but trying to do 4/5 days a week as I want my pre preganacy body back!

I really don't know why I thought I was tight on time before I had the baby! lol I was in every night by 5.30pm and often still struggled to workout! Hope you find something that works for you
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    For the past 2 days I have been off work and have found myself taking our beagle dog out for a walk around the apartment complex. Yes, we both need it - BUT it is so very humid and hot here (like everywhere else I'm sure). I go back to work tomorrow and work Monday - Friday 8-5. I usually leave my house around 7:15 to get to work about 7:30 (In reality). I would like to know how everyone else fits there walk/run/workout into their daily routine.

get up early or do it when you get home from work...

if being healthy and fit is what you want, you will fit it in your day... its not a case of you 'cant' fit it in, at the moment you just dont want to.
  • GemB77
    GemB77 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My work out routines are mostly dog walking and swimming at least three times a week. I work full time and have two kids so life is hectic to say the least but all the more reason to find some dedicated me time! I walk the dog with the kids before school, but it's just a 10 minute thing. We then go for a longer walk at the weekends. My swimming time is after work a few days a week so hubby starts getting the kids' dinner ready and then I get up early on a sunday and sneak out for a swim whilst the rest of the family are still snoring!

At first I really didnt think I would keep up the exercise commitment but now I really look forward to going for a swim and would happily go every day if life wasnt so busy!
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and its cold!

My routine is as follows (I also have a dog)

6.15am - 7.15am - Walk the Dog
    Head to work about 7.45am and am at my desk by 8.20am
    2 or 3 days a week I do a workout at the gym we have here from 12.15pm - 1pm
    During the week I do a 20min-30min workout (Jillian or Davina DVDs) at 7pm (except on Fridays which are my 'rest' day)
    At the weekend I walk the dog between 8am and 9.30am and then do an hour long work out DVD between 10am-11am and then a 30minute DVD at 7pm.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

If it's hot and humid, do it early in the morning, or in the evening.

I work M-F, 9-4:30 and I have 2 busy kids. My workout routine (as much as I can!)
    Monday - Stronglifts/1 hour walk (some days) (Kids have taekwondo from 5 until 7:30)
    Tuesday - 75 minute fitness/taekwondo class
    Wednesday - Stronglifts/2 hours of volleyball (Kids have taekwondo from 5 until 7:30)
    Thursday - 75 minute fitness/taekwondo class
    Friday - Stronglifts (or a technique class) (kids have taekwondo from 5 until 7:30)
    Saturday - 1 hour walk + being out and about with the kids (stronglifts if I didn't get to it 3 times that week)
    Sunday - 75 fitness/taekwondo class

So.. I'm busy! I have a husband, family and friends willing to pitch in, and everything I do is in the evenings. I could possibly get up and hit the stronglifts in the mornings... hmmm.. now I'm thinking.. hahah

The point of all of this - you need to make fitness a priority. I'd LOVE to lay in bed, sit on the couch, go out drinking with friends... but I'd rather work on me.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Alarm goes off at 5:45am, cup of coffee as I'm lacing up my Nike's, out the door with the dog by 6:00am for a 5kwalk. Back to the house by 7, shower, get dressed, out the door to work by 7:45am. Every M-F. A longer walk (6-7k) on Saturday & Sunday. And a couple of evenings during the week.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

I also have a dog and work full time. She gets a walk twice a day for 30-60 mins each - no excuses. She doesn't just get a walk when I'm "off work" she needs her walks every day. I get up around 5:30am and there is plenty of time to take her for a run or walk before work. After work I come home and cook and after 7:30pm there is still plenty of time for a run, or a class. On the weekend we go on long bike rides or go hiking.

I often cook in batches, which reduces time spent standing in the kitchen.

We don't watch much TV I guess.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I am part of a marathon training group, so we have two scheduled group workouts (Wednesday night, Sunday mornings), so those are already worked into my schedule. Otherwise, I usually do this:

Sunday: Long run in AM.
    Monday: Run on lunch (2-2.5 miles) + strength training in PM after work
    Tuesday: Run on lunch (4-4.5 miles)
    Wednesday: Run on lunch (2-2.5 miles) + Speed workout with group with core workout
    Thursday: Run on lunch (2-2.5 miles) + strength training in PM after work
    Friday: Run on lunch (4-4.5 miles)
    Saturday: Rest day

I used to run before work, but I've discovered I like running in the heat more than the cold, go figure. I've found I'm happiest when I exercise everyday or close to it.
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I get my workouts in early morning. I work 8-5 M-F as well, leave the house around 730am. So I get up around 6am, run for 30 mins, get back to the house, take a quick shower, grab some yogurt and then go to work.

I know that if I waited to workout after work, it wouldn't happen. Gotta knock it out bright and early. Some people do not like to be up that early, but I kind of enjoy being up before the sun :)
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I work close to the seaside so on my way home from work I park my car along the sea front and walk for an hour - its about 3 mile. I try to do this at least 4 times a week and if I'm not working weekends I try to have a walk then as well as usually don't stick to calories on a Saturday and need a brisk walk to work them off on a Sunday.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I work out at night, after supper and clean up is done. I either walk my dog around 7:00, recently tried aquafit at night, or I bust my *kitten* on the elliptical while watching NFL (time goes by WAY faster). I've always been an evening work out person, I can't be bothered to get up in the morning to work out.
  • happyindian
    happyindian Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i wirk out first thing in the morning..5.30am. this way, it is never in my way all thru the day, nagging me tht it has to be done. This way get to spend my evening with my family. Also, anything happening in the day has no chance of sabotaging my workout cos it is the first thing to beleft out if the day gets busy. And also, on the basis of my burn, i can plan my meals.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Weatherproof your walk ..... this also works at night.

Jessica Smith ... put out a whole bunch of free youtube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd9V8pJrMXU

There are also walking DVDs: Leslie Sansone, Denise Austin, Debbie Rocker, etc.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have switched from driving so much and now use my bicycle as my primary mode of transportation. It actually saves time since I would be both exercising and commuting anyway, and it’s more environmentally friendly.
    I try to implement more physical activity into my lifestyle by replacing sedentary hobbies (cross-stitch, internet chatting) with more active hobbies (gardening, building things).

I actually have learned to ignore the heat and humidity, which was a hell of a feat because I live in the southern Ohio valley and I have COPD. Heat and humidity may slow me down considerably, but I just suck it up, regulate my breathing, and refuse to use weather as an excuse to skip exercise. If the heat index gets high enough to become dangerous, I will take a bike ride in the evening when it cools down a bit.

Today, the temperature and humidity both will be in the 80s when I do my 20 mile bike ride into town.

And I rarely crawl out of bed any time before 9am, ever.
    We all have the same 24 hours in each day. We just spend the minutes differently.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I work out after work.

If I'm running, and it's too hot, we plan to do dinner first, and I run later in the evening and get home just before dark (but I only do 2-3 miles at this point, so it doesn't take very long). If that isn't an option, I go to the gym and run on a treadmill, which sucks but is better than not working out.

If I'm lifting or it isn't too hot for a run, I hit the gym or run right after work and eat dinner between 7 and 7:30. When I'm working shows, I get off work a little earlier, so I hit the gym here in town (one of the big reasons I splurged for an Anytime Fitness membership) and then grab a snack and get back to work just in time to open the box office. I pack dinner so that once the show starts at 8pm, I can eat it.

It really is just about making it part of your normal routine. Find the time that is most convenient MOST of the time, and then adjust on days when that doesn't work.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    I leave my house at 7am for work and get home around 6pm. I make dinner, clean up the kitchen. By that time it is almost dark. I set out for my run when it is a lot cooler. I live in SC so you can imagine our temps. This is on my cardio days. My strength training days I go straight to the gym after work and get it over with.
  • anw120
    anw120 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:30 am to get in a 30 minute run with my dog and leave enough time to get ready for work, I have to be ready and out the door by 6:30 am, I tend to go to bed a little earlier than I used to to adjust, once winter hits I switch to going out after work since it is cool enough for my lab to run. Since I am running in the dark I stick to streets with good lamps, I also have a glow in the dark collar for my dog to help make him more visible. Having a dog with me makes running in the dark a little less creepy too.
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Alarm goes off at 5:45am, cup of coffee as I'm lacing up my Nike's, out the door with the dog by 6:00am for a 5kwalk. Back to the house by 7, shower, get dressed, out the door to work by 7:45am. Every M-F. A longer walk (6-7k) on Saturday & Sunday. And a couple of evenings during the week.

and this is how you get 29 lb off! good woman yourself!!!

my loss is not as good but still :)

I get up at 6.30 on wed & fri mornings and jog for 40 mins before home for brekkie school run cycle and work. I work 9 - 5.30 mon to fri, mon tues & thur I normally go home from work start into homework dinner etc ( have 4 kids, dog & hubby) and go do a spinning/ step/aerobics class.
    Sat evening I go the gym for an hr, sat night I eat ( and sometimes drink) back wot I worked off at the gym earlier. Sun is a run with kids on bikes. thats more or less it but some days I have too much on and need to skip however I never let it run to more than one day in a wk.