Ever love yourself halfway to your goal?

Options
Don't let the title mislead you. I hope all of you are always able to love yourselves no matter what your size. Beauty isn't measure in pounds.

But here's my dilemma... I started MFP back in May of this year at 205lbs and by August, I got myself 20lbs down (185lbs). My goal is 165lbs. So I am halfway to my goal! Yay! But for the past month, I am having a hard time moving onto the next 20lbs. I don't know if it's lack of motivation or what. I love how my body looks at 185! (Oh, I'm 5'4.5" strong build, just so you all know.) I still have chub that needs to go and I still have a pair of jeans I really want to wear but I can't get myself to go forward. I just yoyo between 185 and 187.

Here's what I think part of the problem is. A few years ago, I got myself down to 178lbs. The lowest I ever have been in my adult life (and I looked good! Not quite bikini good, but good nonetheless.). Well, I started grad school and slowly put the lbs back on. But anyway, the point is, I have been to 185lbs before. It's comfortable here. I know it. However, I have never seen 165lbs before. It's unknown and a little scary.

Please, I am not so much looking for motivation. I have full faith in the Nike "just do it" attitude. I am wondering if anyone has ever been in this boat before. Where you got yourself halfway and wanted to settle for halfway when you clearly know that halfway is NOT good enough. To me this is just another example of how losing weight is more a mind game. Thank you all in advance for reading this and replying! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I think lots of us have this issue. I've lost over 40lb, but have another 20-25 to go. I'm at a weight where it seems to be easy to maintain and I've been going up and down the same (well not really the same) 2lb all summer. I feel good, BP and cholesterol are better, look a lot better, but know I still need to get rid of the belly. I'm slowly getting back into a routine, with fall activities starting again and the summer parties ending. I know I'm the only one who can get the scale moving again, too.
    You are right...I need to just do it!

Good luck to you!
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I absolutely had this mentality at the 199lb mark. I couldn't remember the last time I had a "1" as my starting number, and I was just so thrilled to be under 200lbs that I became (unintentionally) satisfied. After about 3 months of hovering around 196-199, I finally broke through. I'm not sure what did it, other than a "just do it" attitude. Now, I am at 188.5, and I am more focused than ever to reach my goal. But I completely understand the comfort of hanging out at a weight you are familiar with, even when you know it's not ideal.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It's definately a mind game! I am currently at my lowest "again"; and every time I get to this point sometime in my mind freaks out and I start gaining *again*. This time I feel I'm more into the mindset. Don't know if it's because I'm finally starting to like the results I am seeing? But I understand where you are coming from!!