Switch up your HIIT routine!

Lower body HIIT:

Squat jumps
    Kick jumps
    Heisman's/Double Heisman's
    Lunges (front/back/side)
    Burpee w/ tuck jump
    ETC!

It just sounds like your body has just gotten efficient at doing what you do! Which is awesome (for your body)--but also a buzzkill from not seeing that number!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    If a person is aerobically well conditioned it will take around two minutes of near maximum effort to drive the heartrate up to maximum. What you are experiencing is normal.

That's interesting...so what would you suggest I do? I don't think I could put in two minutes of near max effort during HIIT or regular intervals to get my heart rate up. When I try to do so it feels like my body gets tired way before my heart even starts to feel the effort.
    You have to exercise at the effort you can sustain for 3 to 5 minutes. Your heartrate will rise to max after around 2 minutes so you then maintain that level for 1 to 3 minutes longer. That is very hard training.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    I have this problem too and my sprints (on elliptical) are one minute and I can't get my heart rate up above 160 most of the time. I know I am really fit, but I feel like I'm working really hard! The same when I do solid state on Level 8 on a stair machine which KILLS me. I might try to adjust the resistance on the elliptical trainer and see if that makes a difference. I really like the elliptical cause it is low impact, but perhaps I shouldn't be so stubborn about mixing up my HIIT routine ;-)