What is wrong with my plan - gaining instead of losing!?

Options

Replies

• theguy12
    Options
    Right now besides the cardio (which I would of course love to lose and go to all weights) I do the following and it takes about 30 minutes:

15 reps - 3 sets of each
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Dumbell squat pushups (pusing above head)
    Stability Ball Dumbell Rows
    Medicine Ball Throw up and Slam Downs

15 reps - 3 sets of each
    Hurricanes (cable machine)
    Over and Unders (cable machine)

10 reps - 3 sets of each
    Decline Bench Situps with Weight
    Dumbell Curls with Overhead Press

10 reps - 3 sets of each
    Chest press (cable machine)
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    no time to pack your lunch? do it the night before! cucumbers and tomatoes... an apple... an egg with a single slice of whole wheat bread... almonds... mixed greens... blueberries... yogurt.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Right now besides the cardio (which I would of course love to lose and go to all weights) I do the following and it takes about 30 minutes:

15 reps - 3 sets of each
    Dumbell squat pushups (pusing above head)
    Stability Ball Dumbell Rows
    Medicine Ball Throw up and Slam Downs

15 reps - 3 sets of each
    Hurricanes (cable machine)
    Over and Unders (cable machine)

10 reps - 3 sets of each
    Decline Bench Situps with Weight
    Dumbell Curls with Overhead Press

10 reps - 3 sets of each
    Chest press (cable machine)

3 - 4 days in the gym doing weights.
    Each workout (depending on what you are hitting that day) should consist of Dead Lifts, Squats, Bench press, Chin/pull-ups (or use a lat machine til you can do your body weight).

For now, don't worry with doing to much on abs.....maybe once a week. Get your weight down first.

Stay away from balls

And use some weight......since you have the mass/size, and you are trying to trim down.....Then I would say your target range for weighted reps, should be in the neighborhood of 6 - 8, and you should be feeling something on 7 and 8. If not, up your weight.
  • Krista916
    Options
    Free weights, free weights, free weights. Try to move away from the cable machine and work with dumbells and plates and bars. Cable machines are ok, but to truly understand weight lifting, you must learn proper form. You can really only learn proper form and the ability to control your weight with dumbells and bar and plates. Part of muscle building is is learning form and control. You really lose these key elements using cables or machines.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Does THC in THCguy refer to Marijuana? It is nearly impossible to lose while smoking. Just asking, please do not take offense. I am not anti pot at all.

This is a lie. THC doesnt make you gain weight. Anyways...
    Without a doubt it does. It is medically used to stimulate the appetite od cancer and aids pts. But that is the last I have to say about this.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Free weights, free weights, free weights. Try to move away from the cable machine and work with dumbells and plates and bars. Cable machines are ok, but to truly understand weight lifting, you must learn proper form. You can really only learn proper form and the ability to control your weight with dumbells and bar and plates. Part of muscle building is is learning form and control. You really lose these key elements using cables or machines.

+1
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Does THC in THCguy refer to Marijuana? It is nearly impossible to lose while smoking. Just asking, please do not take offense. I am not anti pot at all.

Without a doubt it does. It is medically used to stimulate the appetite od cancer and aids pts. But that is the last I have to say about this.

Yeah, I thought people got the munchies
  • theguy12
    Options
    I just broke away from only using machines.

Now everything except 2-3 exercises is on the free weights. It's just the routine my personal trainer gave me during my assesement. I go back in a month to get another workout.

I thought heavy weights / slow lifting was for building muscle and getting bigger.

I don't care as much about building muscle - just losing fat - which is why I heard lower weights, more repititions, no breaks, get the heart rate up will help most with weight loss.

The people just lifting weights (heavy weights) seem to just be trying to get muscly and don't seem to be sweating much.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I just broke away from only using machines.

Now everything except 2-3 exercises is on the free weights. It's just the routine my personal trainer gave me during my assesement. I go back in a month to get another workout.

I thought heavy weights / slow lifting was for building muscle and getting bigger.

I don't care as much about building muscle - just losing fat - which is why I heard lower weights, more repititions, no breaks, get the heart rate up will help most with weight loss.

The people just lifting weights (heavy weights) seem to just be trying to get muscly and don't seem to be sweating much.

How much you sweat , does not determine how much weight you lose....
    Trust me, I hit weights pretty hard, and I sweat like a pig.....

If you want to sweat a lot to lose weight, you will gain it all back at the next glass of water you have.

But do some searching on google.....muscle burns fat.

As you put on muscle, that raises your metabolic rate, meaning you are burning more calories.

Plus as you put on muscle, you will be reshaping your physique.....so doing that and dropping fat is a good thing. Trust me.

Your trainer is there one on one with you, so he/she has a better idea regarding you then someone like me on the web......But I would hit weights and hit them hard every time.
    Make sure my diet was on point, and do it faithfully for a min. of 2 months.

Then see where you are at.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Also make sure you take note of the suggestions regarding your diet that people posted on here.

And drink WATER......He is your new best friend.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

^^ Read this. I was amazed when I bought a digital food scale at how inaccurately I was recording.

This. And watch this, too:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJVjWPclrWVY
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

SUCH bs. I smoke almost every day and have the entire time I've been on MFP. notice my ticker. the only thing that makes you gain weight is eating too much food.

eta: don't mean to derail the thread, but sick of this particular poster making blanket statements even after being proven wrong more than once. OP, you're getting some good advice, carry on.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I track everything I eat - no exceptions. I use whatever calories/nutritional info that MFP has under that item.

My typical day is:
    BREAKFAST SHAKE or BREAKFAST SANDWICH (200 calories)
    MORNING GRANOLA SNACK BAR (200 calories)
    LUNCH (usually a healthy choice as I can't leave work) - (450 calories)
    AFTERNOON SNACK BAR + FRUIT (300 calories)
    DINNER (varies) - (800 calories)

Workout routine is 3 times a week:
    30 minutes of interval training on treadmill (run for 2 minutes - walk for 3 minutes - run for 2 minutes - walk for 3 minutes,,,,,,,,,)
    30 minutes of circuit training
    10 minutes stretching and cool down

Not sure how I open my diary but sure.

Checking back over your diary, that is not true,

IMO I would re evaluate your food
  • mourningkiss
    Options
    My guess would be a lot of muscle gain. It probably replaced any fat you lost.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    My guess would be a lot of muscle gain. It probably replaced any fat you lost.

highly unlikely given the caloric deficit the OP is presumably in (dependent on how accurate his logging is).
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have logged for a week and your macros are all over the place. Thursday and Saturday are chaos.

If you are going to log a typical day, then keep logging but make major changes.

Cut out the sodium filled snack foods.

Be honest with your food.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    It is possible to cut too much too fast. If you were average 5000k a day or more, cutting to less than half of that number could shock your body into holding onto things more. You need to be more gradual with such a large cut.

I'm almost certain, as well, that if you are eating things like bacon cheeseburgers and eating out, you are not eating that low in calories.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

SUCH bs. I smoke almost every day and have the entire time I've been on MFP. notice my ticker. the only thing that makes you gain weight is eating too much food.

eta: don't mean to derail the thread, but sick of this particular poster making blanket statements even after being proven wrong more than once. OP, you're getting some good advice, carry on.

Just piping up to support the fact that MJ, while used to stimulate APPETITE, it doesn't make a person eat. Not every strain stimulates appetite or the "munchies." Some strains have even been proven to aid in weight LOSS because they can CURB appetite.

I'm a smoker and while I don't have the same level of weight loss but I have lost 50+ since my heaviest, and I have been smoking the whole time.
  • theguy12
    Options
    Just so you all know I do not smoke marijuana......I did when I was 18 years old but I am 32 now and haven't ever since. It's just a screen name.....nothing more.