Craving Junk Food

2»

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    You are not in that boat alone!! I read somewhere that the only way to stop the cravings, is to not feed them. So whenever I get that craving I reach for fruits or nuts (I stop bring chips and cupcakes in the house and refuse to buy them from the vending machine at work; cost too much). I've been doing this for about three weeks now and I must admit that my cravings have decreased. I'm not going to lie, there are times when fruit and nuts won't cut it, so I will go buy the 25 cents bag of chips. I hope that helps :)
    only thing that works for me as well! I'm in the midst of withdrawal right now..but doing OK,

Some can moderate the junk food.. some of us can't.... because someone else tells you to keep eating it...doesn't mean that's what's going to work for you. I gain back control and stay away from simple carbs... then try again for moderating but can't seem to do that. Some ppl don't have that off switch..some do. Junk food isn't healthy for me to be eating so I'm OK with staying away from it. Emotions drift me back there from time to time and then I just re-start the cold turkey. Maybe one day I'll be able to eat only one cupcake but that day is NOT today!:laugh:
  • I don't agree with everyone saying don't deny yourself. If you're like me, I won't stop. Once I start getting junk food into my system, I just want more and more. I say fight it like a smoker craving a cigarette. You wouldn't light up and just have one and expect to stop there. Nope, then you're headed to the store to buy a pack. In my opinion, it's best not to even go there, especially if you're a food addict and extremely obese like I am. But like I said, if you're like me. You may not be.
  • Buy some "fun size" candy bars, you know, the ones you hated getting as a kid because they're about a bite and a half's worth. :P They usually run around 50-80 calories. With Halloween approaching, you can find them everywhere!
    How many calories for the whole bag? Just kidding... But for people who might not be able to resist the temptation, having a supply of these handy is probably not a great solution.

It's the Temptation that gets the best of me. Just sitting there...watching me...calling my name... (That kind of thing!)
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    I don't agree with everyone saying don't deny yourself. If you're like me, I won't stop. Once I start getting junk food into my system, I just want more and more. I say fight it like a smoker craving a cigarette. You wouldn't light up and just have one and expect to stop there. Nope, then you're headed to the store to buy a pack. In my opinion, it's best not to even go there, especially if you're a food addict and extremely obese like I am. But like I said, if you're like me. You may not be.

If I don't have a taste of what I want I will eat everything else in sight , be so stuffed it hurts , but because I haven't had that food I will still want that as well !!! So it works for me but we are all different so what works for me might be the kiss of death to someone else .
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    Buy some "fun size" candy bars, you know, the ones you hated getting as a kid because they're about a bite and a half's worth. :P They usually run around 50-80 calories. With Halloween approaching, you can find them everywhere!
    How many calories for the whole bag? Just kidding... But for people who might not be able to resist the temptation, having a supply of these handy is probably not a great solution.

It's the Temptation that gets the best of me. Just sitting there...watching me...calling my name... (That kind of thing!)
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    Buy some "fun size" candy bars, you know, the ones you hated getting as a kid because they're about a bite and a half's worth. :P They usually run around 50-80 calories. With Halloween approaching, you can find them everywhere!

Oh I have been there , many times !!!!!!!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    As some sensible people mentioned above, please make room for things you crave, only then you can make this a lifestyle and not make it seem like a punishment.

ETA: based on some things i see above, even i have always had problems with portion control, but thats something we need to learn and make a habit. There is no way we can stick to this for life if we dont learn to eat everything moderately. There is no point in avoiding a single food group because you cant control it. Because if you dont learn to control it now, its going to be very very hard to maintain weight at some point in furture after having lost all the weight :flowerforyou:
  • NicoleCooney92
    NicoleCooney92 Posts: 43 Member
    I suppose I do a combination of many of the suggestions. First, I grab an apple, then tell myself I can have a treat at the end of the day, if there's still room. I try to leave 100-200 calories in my "daily menu" for the end of the day, in case I want a treat.. Trigger foods (I used to be a binge eater-so I definitely still have these) aren't in the house anymore so they aren't a choice for me with treats.

What are some of day-end treats:
    Alcohol: 1 beer or 1 glass of wine or 1 oz of spirit with club soda
    Chips: are a trigger food, so I substitute low sodium pretzels, popcorn, or veggie straws
    Ice cream: Mini ice cream bar, mini hagen daaz, or frozen yogurt bar (only pre-portioned items- no eyeballing a "scoop" of ice cream)
    Chocolate: Another potential trigger food, so I don't keep it in the house. If I want chocolate, I have to walk to the convenience store 3k away for it. Usually by the time I get there, I buy a bottle of water or sparkling water instead. If not, no biggie because I've burned more than I'm consuming.

If at the end of the day, I don't get a craving, then I go to bed with an extra 200 added to my deficit.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    At some point you have to make this journey sustainable and I don't believe the best way to do that is complete abstinence for the rest of your life but a better option might be to work on the mental side of this journey. Learn how to deal with these so called uncontrollable temptations by getting to the root of them and learn self control... There is great satisfaction in knowing that you can have your cake and eat it too so to speak... Example I will be eating a bowl of ice cream later, it is planned, I set aside the calories and macros to fit it into the end of my day and i will enjoy every bite and will not feel guilty about it. Tomorrow I will have something else that I enjoy, Work on that side of this journey, learn to fit the things you want and like into your life and those so called craving will go away, why? because you aren't cutting things out of your diet making this something you can adhere too.... Best of Luck
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    I worry about making room for those calories and treating myself because I fear I won't be able to stop...

Makes me sound like a weak person but, it's something I fear...

Nicki

This is something to address. Do you really believe you can give up those foods, and "deal with" cravings for the rest of your life? Because otherwise, cutting them out entirely will lead to bingeing at some point.

I've noticed that when most people have a treat, they eat it quickly, as if it's going to be taken away :laugh: And I'm not talking about just people who are losing weight, I'm talking about in general. A good strategy is to learn to eat these indulgences SLOWLY. Make a square of dark chocolate last … bit off half of it, let it melt in your mouth, and let the other piece sit for a minute before you let it melt in your mouth. A couple of squares eaten like that will be as satisfying as a whole bar gobbled up in the same 5 minutes.

Another strategy is to serve out your allotment (i.e. count out the chips into a bowl) and put the rest away. Store it someplace that takes thought to get into so you don't just go and grab more (top of the cupboard, under the bed, whatever makes you take a bit of effort). Then, when your serving is gone, you're done. You don't have the rest in front of you, so you're less tempted to keep eating.

If you really want to cut these treats out of your life forever, that's fine. I hope other people have ideas for dealing with the cravings. But for me, it's easier to learn to have a little (and yes, it is LEARNED, it doesn't come automatically) because otherwise, I eat way too much other food in trying to satisfy/curb the craving, and end up with more calories consumed that if I'd just had the treat. But you have to make it a conscious decision, either way.
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    This is not a diet,eat what you like,learn moderation,fit it into your daily calories,live and love it while you lose weight,,,I lost 96 pounds in 2 years by learning that I don't have to eat the whole bag of chips or the entire bucket of ice cream ..this site has taught me to eat everything in moderation and not deny myself of the foods I like to eat..