Sumo Squats...

Options
Did my first sumo squats last night.....could not stop laughing through the whole thing. Probably why I could only do 3 sets of 5. :)

It was difficult but I kinda enjoyed it. My glutes are telling me they know I did them today. :)

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Nice work! 3 sets of 5 is respectable for starting out. You'll probably be up to 3-4 sets of 10-12 real soon.
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I just did my first set of sumo squats today.
    Why did you find it funny? The name?
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It was just the whole experience. I just pictured how I must have looked. That and I tend to laugh through pain....

My trainer was doing it with me and showing me all the different variations, hopping, kicking....it was just too funny. :) I'm actually looking forward to doing it again once the feeling in my legs and butt comes back. LOL
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Haha. I had the opposite reaction. Using a 12 kg kettlebell i did 12 sumo squats immediately followed by 12 sumo squat pulses. DEAR GOD THE BURN. :sad:
  • bkw99508
    Options
    Oh my....I might of cried through that too! You go girl!!!
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    They are amazing for building inner thigh strength. I love sumo squats
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    So I actually had to look these up and realized they are ballet squats (as I've always known them). I agree, they do look funny and they are killer for legs. Congrats on your reps. Very respectable your first time out!
  • calpeachmfp
    calpeachmfp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
    A great exercise . . . love them! : )
  • bkw99508
    Options
    So I looked up sumo squats on youtube. My trainer had me go down way lower than what I saw. I was basically 6 to 8 inches from the floor. He sure is devious.....
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    So I looked up sumo squats on youtube. My trainer had me go down way lower than what I saw. I was basically 6 to 8 inches from the floor. He sure is devious.....

As long as your heels are planted on the floor, the lower the better!