Over in protein

Options
After entering my food diary for today, I am over by 15 on my protein. My high protein foods are tuna in water, hummus, and greek yogurt. Good or bad? I am a little taken aback by the -15 in red on my diary. Isn't a lot of lean protein a good thing?

Replies

• MissRavenD
    Options
    I'm not REALLY sure how much of an impact it is.

But you have to keep this in mind. It's only 15. At least it's not 20. ;)

I'm still trying to learn to ropes so that I have no red marks what-so-ever. But, boy, this is going to be a LOOOOOONG road for Miss Raven here. xD

Just try and stick as close to your goal as possible. :)

And remember, at least it's not 20, or 30, or 40~!

Keep it up girl! :DD
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If you are using the macro breakdown that MFP offers, they low ball protein by a lot. Your diary isn't open so I can't be sure. But chances are that you're still low on protein even going over by 15g.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    If you are using the macro breakdown that MFP offers, they low ball protein by a lot. Your diary isn't open so I can't be sure. But chances are that you're still low on protein even going over by 15g.

This. MFP really gives a low amount for protein.

Unless you have some sort of medical condition, more protein isn't an issue. I try for at least one gram per pound of body weight, but I usually get closer to 1.5 grams/pound.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Protein is not really a thing that you can easily eat too much of. Personally I eat between 180-200 grams per day and have adjusted my settings that way. But google around. Protein is good for all kinds of things... especially giving you a feeling of fullness for longer. Enjoy your protein... especially if you are getting it from food. You are not very likely to consume too much no matter what mfp says.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Iam over on my MFP protein by over 100grams every day,

OP am i going to make it?

anyways eat more protein less carbs/fat and should help on hunger! not to mention its more thermogenic, and will help maintain muscle during a calorie deficit

would recommend at least 90gs of protein a day for you, bare minimum!!!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Treat the protein goal as a minimum. And as already mentioned, the MFP goals are set very low.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I usually get about 30% of my calories from protein. You could set your macro goals differently than the default if you wanted.

Usually "too much protein" isn't a thing unless you have some kind of kidney problem already. Protein is awesome. Have at it.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    lol, about 40% of my calories come from protein every day. you really can't "OD" on protein. protein = GOOD.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I usually get about 30% of my calories from protein. You could set your macro goals differently than the default if you wanted.

Usually "too much protein" isn't a thing unless you have some kind of kidney problem already. Protein is awesome. Have at it.

^^yup. unless you have kidney issues, have at it. :)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    My goal is to go over in protein.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I try get 100g of protein or more. More protein less hunger.
  • keljones81
    keljones81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My doctor has encouraged me to shoot for 100g in protein. The more protein you have in your system, the more satisfied you are. If you have kidney issues or fears about having too much protein in your system, talk to your doctor. :) Be sure to be choosing lean protein.
  • Islandgirl74
    Islandgirl74 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Whew! I feel much better. Thanks so much!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    That's great - The more protein the better

Lots of nuts/eggs/greek yoghurt etc

Keeps you fuller for longer so you wont snack on empty calories