Keep HRM going after workouts!

Options
2»

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand why we wouldn't count those calories.... when you exercise and increase your heart rate, you burn more calories. So, just because you step off the treadmill or put down the weights, your heart rate is still elevated and you are burning more calories than if you weren't exercising. Basically, your heart is still exercising until you cool down.

In my mind, it's the same thing as if you were on the treadmill and stayed on there for a 10 minute cool down (or whatever time period) after your 30 minute run. You keep walking on the treadmill and keep decreasing your pace and intensity until your heart rate comes down. Once you step off the treadmill, you would still log those 10 minutes of cool down calories.

I'm just saying that those cool down calories are still exercise calories that you wouldn't have burned otherwise.

The question of whether to eat the exercise calories is a personal one and seems to be hot topic on here that I'm not going to touch. And yes, I believe my stop clock has to be running for it to count the calories.

EDIT:
    Maybe I should add that when I go to the gym, I don't have time to cool down before changing my clothes and getting back to my desk at work. So, the time period I'm speaking of IS my cool down period.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I was told by the owner of my gym who is also a personal trainer that HRM are not needed and that they are not accurate. I have had one for almost 2 years. I was doing great while using mine to eat back those calories and I'm wondering now since I have gained all my weighted back and getting back on the weight lost wagon should I leave mine behind or put it back on and start using it again.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Bump - got my FT7 yesterday, and used it for the first time last night! I turned mine off after my workout was done- but maybe tonight i'll leave it on :)
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I'd been thinking about this lately. I need a refresher on where the fat burning zone is though.

me too!
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Interesting. My heart rate drops back down to the 80s very shortly after I finish an exercise -- even in-between circuits it drops back to 90. So I don't burn many calories unless I"m actually doing something. But that is an interesting find.