What should my heart rate be during cardio workout?

Options
I'm 5'9, 211 lbs, age 34.

Replies

• cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    MALE OR FEMALE?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your current fitness level and what you want to achieve. Your maximum heart rate should be 186 (220 - your age (34)) for a female, so it should be lower than that level.
  • benwatt02
    benwatt02 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There's an easy calculation...but above all "listen" to your body....

Take 220 minus your age. = 186

Take 186 by 65% = 121

Take 186 by 85% = 158

So, your target rate is at least 121, but a good cardio workout will include keeping your HR at or above 121 and doing concentrated "bursts" to get it up into the 150's. Do this for at least 30 minutes, preferably 45, 3 times per week.

If you aren't normally active you will have to work up to this, and if you feel light headed or dizzy at anytime, STOP IMMEDIATELY!

(just speaking from experience, I am by no means a professional!)

Good Luck!
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    you can google, a heart rate calculator thats what i did don't know how accurate but seemed to be about right from other things i saw.
  • paracyst
    paracyst Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow, this bit about heart rate is interesting... I never knew about this. I am 24 and weigh 190 (male). My 30min treadmill workout keeps my heart rate at about 160-166 for 25 minutes straight and at about 150 or so for the last 5 minutes. I then ride a stationary bike for 30 mins and my heart rate is 140-151 during that entire time. I've been eating right as well (have cut daily caloric intake by at least 600 calories) yet I am seeing no results whatsoever. What gives? I've been doing this 5 days a week for 3 weeks now. I'm about ready to give up -- I don't think I will be seeing my goal of 175lbs any time soon
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Wow, this bit about heart rate is interesting... I never knew about this. I am 24 and weigh 190 (male). My 30min treadmill workout keeps my heart rate at about 160-166 for 25 minutes straight and at about 150 or so for the last 5 minutes. I then ride a stationary bike for 30 mins and my heart rate is 140-151 during that entire time. I've been eating right as well (have cut daily caloric intake by at least 600 calories) yet I am seeing no results whatsoever. What gives? I've been doing this 5 days a week for 3 weeks now. I'm about ready to give up -- I don't think I will be seeing my goal of 175lbs any time soon

What you eat, how much you eat, when you eat are key factors.... drinking enough water also contributes.
    If you make your food diary public, I think it would give everyone more insight to help you.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    @Paracyst A couple of things. It sounds like your exercise is spot on. So I'm guessing there is something in your diet that is off. You might want to make your food log public so a few people can take a look. If your not logging all your food and when I say all your food I mean everything that goes in your mouth than I would start and be very strict about it.

It is pretty basic science Calories in vs Calories burned. However If you have your goal weight wrong and you shouldn't be down that low you may be approaching your last 10-15 lbs which are extremely difficult to get off. It may be beneficial to have a body composition workup done to find out where you stand and where you should be.