Increase in gym goers?

Options
Has anyone noticed an increase lately after labor day in the amount of traffic that goes through the gym? I'm a "resolutioner" so I've been hitting the gym daily during the weekdays since January and as expected the abundance of people was plenty, but then it did start to thin out by March until August, and now the volume is up again.

Is this normal? To avoid the crowds, I've been working out at 5am now, but I was just wondering if you frequent gym go-ers normally see this kind of trend at the gym you go too.

Replies

• Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yep it's busier and its normal. My gym calls it New Years part 2. Classes are fuller and machines are busy too. Every time I go in some one is registering.
  • Grendel07
    Grendel07 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've been at the same gym for about 2 years. I always see tons of people for January - the new years resolution. My gym thins out by February. But, it stays a constant level until about now. It has been a little more packed as of late. But, rest assured; those people will be out by next month. I dont see the 'same' people anymore when I first started going to my gym.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Yep, fall deal time.

It'll be the same around Thanksgiving.

IDK where you live, but I notice an uptick at this time as all the teachers are going before school. Over the summer they don't, at least at my gym.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I work in a gym and we always refer to September as the second January :-)
  • samammay
    Options
    Kids are back in school, parents have more free time. I started dieting and back to the gym the first day I dropped my youngest off at preschool for the first time.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    People are getting back from summer vacations, realized that they've gained a lot of weight and don't have a lot of time left until Christmas. Outdoor activities also start to die down a little bit due to colder weather (for some northern countries, heh).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually see a bump in traffic in the early spring, early fall, and obviously new years.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    September (right after Labor Day) is always busier at my gym. Not as busy as the first week of January, but close...it's still a new year of sorts...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I usually see a bump in traffic in the early spring, early fall, and obviously new years.

Ditto.

Early Spring, Early Fall, and New Years are usually "deal" times of the year.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Yes. My classes had MAYBE 6-7 people I them since I joined (Feb), and they are annoyingly packed this session.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bit busier at my local gym too. But I go in first thing each morning before work (about 5AM) so it's usually not very crowded and I'm able to complete my workouts efficiently without too many distractions.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    people prepping for halloween costumes. apparently that's become a popular excuse for sudden attempts at weight loss
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Ermahgawd it is insane... I live in a college town so now all the frat bros are back.

Things i had said to me in the past week:
    "What are you doing with that barbell sweetie?"
    "For all that lifting your really scrawny."
    "Why did you move my *kitten* i was doing curls in that squat rack."
    "Why dont you go back on the elliptical and let me finish my set in peace."

edit: trying to find a new gym currently :ohwell:
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    people prepping for halloween costumes. apparently that's become a popular excuse for sudden attempts at weight loss

Wow. Really? Is this true for men and women? Or just the ladies who enjoy skimpy costumes?

I figured it was the beginning of the school year leaving parents with more time to work out
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Has anyone noticed an increase lately after labor day in the amount of traffic that goes through the gym? I'm a "resolutioner" so I've been hitting the gym daily during the weekdays since January and as expected the abundance of people was plenty, but then it did start to thin out by March until August, and now the volume is up again.

Is this normal? To avoid the crowds, I've been working out at 5am now, but I was just wondering if you frequent gym go-ers normally see this kind of trend at the gym you go too.
    Kids are back in school, so mom's are back in the gym. Kids go to sports practices, dance practices (etc.) so hitting the gym for an hour passes the time faster.

In every gym I've ever worked at the traffic usually pics up: The first of the year, a month before summer, as soon as school starts and just before the holidays.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Lol, this is what I thought as well.
  • skeo
    Options

Kids are back in school, so mom's are back in the gym. Kids go to sports practices, dance practices (etc.) so hitting the gym for an hour passes the time faster.

In every gym I've ever worked at the traffic usually pics up: The first of the year, a month before summer, as soon as school starts and just before the holidays.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Ah, so I need to get adapted to this 5AM work out schedule ASAP, seems like it will be busy for the rest of the year. :ohwell:
  • skeo
    Options
    Ermahgawd it is insane... I live in a college town so now all the frat bros are back.

Things i had said to me in the past week:
    "What are you doing with that barbell sweetie?"
    "For all that lifting your really scrawny."
    "Why did you move my *kitten* i was doing curls in that squat rack."
    "Why dont you go back on the elliptical and let me finish my set in peace."

*I get some comment referring to the fact that I shouldn't be lifting because i am a girl, that i don't need to be at the gym because i am already skinny, or that i am taking up a machine they need every damn day.

edit: trying to find a new gym currently :ohwell:

Wow, I've never had to deal with bro's like that, sorry you have too. :frown: the gym is everyone's place.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    8MmZq3r.jpg
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I find back to school, well here anyways, does make gym busier, not like January though lol but more people for sure.