How I stopped eating out.

Options
Be poor!

Replies

• Kasuko
    Kasuko Posts: 42
    Options
    Ya that's it ... now that I have your attention though, let's get to the good stuff. I am looking for tips for healthy foods on a budget. Any ideas?

P.S. Don't kill me for my humor
  • sherry_80
    sherry_80 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    good one, idea 99 cent store,

the one i go to has food and everything is a dollar.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Also pull up the nutritional info of any place you are gonna go before you and and ask yourself if its worth it
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    LOL!!!

I just stopped going out with my friends "just to eat". If they want to hang out, I ask them if they want to do something "active" (but free) with me instead... such as jogging, hiking, surfing, shopping (and I mean walking), etc. No more hanging out through eating!
  • Caralyn
    Caralyn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Most of the foods at my local dollar store (The Dollar Tree) cost considerably more than that same item at a grocery store.
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    Options
    Look for discount grocers in your area. Im in Toronto and there's a store here called "Almost Perfect" - they sell overstock food items and what they call factory 2nds - these are items that are either not packaged properly [ie. lable is crooked or misspelled]. They sell a lot of frozen foods too and a really good discount. I bought heaps of meat and veggies for next to nothing.

Closeouts/Cash & Carry stores have bulk items for cheap too.

Check out Farmer's markets in your area. Most produce can be frozen or cooked and frozen. Corn this year in Ontario has been harvested 3-4 weeks early so it's in great supply - you can easily freeze whole cobs.
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love this blog for out-the-box, inexpensive and relatively healthy ideas to make at home

www.poorgirleatswell.com
  • Kasuko
    Kasuko Posts: 42
    Options
    Wow lot's of really great ideas. I love the blog. I was originally looking for how to eat healthy for the same price as eating not healthy but now instead of losing weight I can just balance it out via weight gain in my wallet. Yay!
  • sherry_80
    sherry_80 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The 99 cents store i am talking about is the one featured on the racheal ray show.

They sell meat, fruits, veg. milk cheese and wine, Yes everything is a dollar.