But eating right is so expensive...

Options

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    $5 buys me 4 0z of wild fresh salmon $5 buys me lean ground beef for my tomato meat sauce $5 buys me a chicken breast

I just do not see the $$$ value in a pizza.

1 whole pizza is more of a meal than any of the things you listed

$5 for 4oz of salmon? It's double that where I live. And you can get a whole pizza for $4. But we do get most of our healthcare covered for free so I suppose I cannot complain.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    $5 buys me 4 0z of wild fresh salmon $5 buys me lean ground beef for my tomato meat sauce $5 buys me a chicken breast

This ^^ $5 Hot & Ready pizza has carbs, protein and fat, in pretty decent proportions. Add $1.50 in chopped veggies and you have a well balanced meal for two (or three if two of them are small children).

Just getting 4 oz of salmon for that amount is the just the beginnings of a meal for one. I'm not knocking the salmon. I love salmon. Just saying it's not as good a deal as the pizza.
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    OP, I get your point. I know that not everyone has access to healthier foods, so this message obviously wasn't for them. I think that you were just trying to motivate others who do have access to/funds to buy healthier foods. Gosh. People argue over anything on this site.
    I think my concern is that it discourages people from trying to eat healthy if they think it has to be more expensive. It really doesn't. That's why I like everyone's tips on eating healthy for cheaper (frozen veggies, soup and crockpot meals, etc). Go to frugal living sites and you'll get even more suggestions!
    The items listed probably have more protein than the pizza, which is generally the expensive thing. YOu could buy 3 dollars worth of protein, plus factor in the cost of staples and make your own more nutritious pizza for the same 5 bucks probably.

I do think those 5 dollar pizza's are a great deal, though. Beats taco bell.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

This ^^ $5 Hot & Ready pizza has carbs, protein and fat, in pretty decent proportions. Add $1.50 in chopped veggies and you have a well balanced meal for two (or three if two of them are small children).

Just getting 4 oz of salmon for that amount is the just the beginnings of a meal for one. I'm not knocking the salmon. I love salmon. Just saying it's not as good a deal as the pizza.

For me it is about quality not quantity, I have fresh homemade salads and wild rice with salmon. The salmon fills me up plus I am getting the omega 3 in my diet. The Meat sauce can go for 4 meals, A large chicken breast can go for two meals.
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I make a good salary, and still find my food bill a bit ridiculous. But I made the conscious choice to go organic and the sticker shock is one of the results. When I was broke in college, I could have eaten better, but not by any stretch of the imagination like I do now. I used to go in the grocery store and play a game. I'd take in 10 dollars, buy 10 of the 10 for 10 items and see if I couldn't eat off that for at least 2 days. Guess what is 10 for 10? Carbs, processed stuff, junk, and sugary food.

My local grocery (Kroger) often puts frozen or canned vegetables on the 10 for 10 sale. Carbs are good for us. That's why they are a macronutrient, because it's good to eat a lot of them.

My local store (Meijer) had 10 for 10 a couple weeks ago for greek yogurt and cartons of raspberries. I stocked up and froze a ton of raspberries to last me through this winter. Not to mention I also got an additional $10 off my next grocery bill with a coupon because I'd spent enough on other produce throughout the month of August. They also had 10 for 10 on frozen veggies.

They have greek yogurt on sale 10 for 10 again this week. I haven't checked the ads for what else is 10 for 10 but there's another coupon off your whole basket for Fri-Sat so I will be making a trip Fri night.

You absolutely can find reasonably priced foods. It's all about figuring out the sales cycles, finding coupons, and buying produce that is in season. Keep a price book so you can time your purchases to when stores generally have sales and take the time to coupon. I only spend about an hour a week couponing and keeping track of my grocery bills and it has paid off so much.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I disagree. In fact, that's exactly the problem with our food supply: Healthful foods cost more than empty calories by orders of magnitude. The number one predictor of obesity in the US is income level, and the very fact that I've decided to alter my lifestyle is an exercise in economic privilege.

The cheapest calories on our grocery shelves are from government-subsidized commodity foods: Corn, soybeans, and the resulting cheap animal products. Think boxed mac & cheese, packaged ramen, and the like. If you eat those foods until you're not hungry anymore, you will have eaten too many calories. If you have to do that every day, you're going to get fat and sick. Eating well costs quite a bit more money than eating the standard American diet, which is why most people don't do it.

I think I love you. lol
  • bcattoes
    Options

For me it is about quality not quantity, I have fresh homemade salads and wild rice with salmon. The salmon fills me up plus I am getting the omega 3 in my diet. The Meat sauce can go for 4 meals, A large chicken breast can go for two meals.

So? Nothing wrong with having all that and the occasional pizza.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Orthorexia is expensive.

Stop being orthorexic.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Whole chickens are often less than $1/lb (of course, you're going to be tossing the carcass, so it's not entirely a fair comparison, but still...)

Why toss the carcass..........do like our frugal ancestors did; use it to make soup!
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I disagree. In fact, that's exactly the problem with our food supply: Healthful foods cost more than empty calories by orders of magnitude. The number one predictor of obesity in the US is income level, and the very fact that I've decided to alter my lifestyle is an exercise in economic privilege.

The cheapest calories on our grocery shelves are from government-subsidized commodity foods: Corn, soybeans, and the resulting cheap animal products. Think boxed mac & cheese, packaged ramen, and the like. If you eat those foods until you're not hungry anymore, you will have eaten too many calories. If you have to do that every day, you're going to get fat and sick. Eating well costs quite a bit more money than eating the standard American diet, which is why most people don't do it.

So true. Don't care what anyone says. Healthier foods are more way more expensive than junk foods. Its so easy to eat 3-4k calories a day if someone wanted too. Cheaply for that matter.
  • BaackOnIt
    BaackOnIt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    PREACH!!!!!

• bcattoes
    Options
    My local store (Meijer) had 10 for 10 a couple weeks ago for greek yogurt and cartons of raspberries. I stocked up and froze a ton of raspberries to last me through this winter.

10 for 10 raspberries?!?!?? I would knock down old ladies to clean out that display. Even in season raspberries are > $3 a pint where I live.

(I exaggerate - I wouldn't really knock down old ladies)
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My local store (Meijer) had 10 for 10 a couple weeks ago for greek yogurt and cartons of raspberries. I stocked up and froze a ton of raspberries to last me through this winter.

10 for 10 raspberries?!?!?? I would knock down old ladies to clean out that display. Even in season raspberries are > $3 a pint where I live.

QFT

I am always excited when the 6oz containers of raspberries are BOGO. That means I can get 3/4 lb of raspberries for $4! We don't have any big box stores near us. No Super Walmart, Meijer, Biggs, etc. :-( The lack of competition means groceries are expensive here!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    So true. Don't care what anyone says. Healthier foods are more way more expensive than junk foods. Its so easy to eat 3-4k calories a day if someone wanted too. Cheaply for that matter.

What do you define "healthier foods" and "junk foods"?
  • shannashannabobana
    Options

Yeah, usually tha'ts the veggies. Although they are awesome for lima beans, spinach, mirepoix, cajun mirepoix, and onions'. I go to town on those frozen chopped onions in the winter.

The cheap fruits are banana's, non special apples, whatevers is in season/on sale....
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's not hard to eat cheap whether it's "healthy" or not. Rice, potatoes, beans and chicken are cheap. Throw in a bunch of in-season veggies (also cheap) and you're golden on the "healthy" plan. Boxes of mac & cheese and cans of tuna are cheap from the "not so healthy" plan.

Overeating on either plan will be more expensive.

Eating out-of-season produce or "exotic" crap will also make both plans more expensive.

Just as eating expensive does not push anyone towards a "healthy" diet, eating cheap does not push anyone towards an "unhealthy" diet.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Whole chickens are often less than $1/lb (of course, you're going to be tossing the carcass, so it's not entirely a fair comparison, but still...)

Why toss the carcass..........do like our frugal ancestors did; use it to make soup!

Pssshht Jamie Oliver can make chicken nuggets out of a carcass!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Christ! People will lambast anyone over the slightest perception of an infraction, on this site. Maybe, just maybe, she was trying to offer a different perspective.

Geez!

Posts on the forum should expect responses. Some will disagree.

Disagreeing respectively is different from attacking someone. (See? I disagreed, without attacking. ;-) )
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Boxes of mac & cheese and cans of tuna are cheap from the "not so healthy" plan.

Assuming you also throw in a bunch of in seasonal veggies (or frozen), what is so unhealthy about boxed mac & cheese and tuna?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Christ! People will lambast anyone over the slightest perception of an infraction, on this site. Maybe, just maybe, she was trying to offer a different perspective.

Geez!

Posts on the forum should expect responses. Some will disagree.

Disagreeing respectively is different from attacking someone. (See? I disagreed, without attacking. ;-) )

Did someone attack the OP? I might have missed a few posts, but if there was an attack you should report it. It is against forum rules.