teachers?

I am a 4th grade teacher and I am on my feet a lot some days. Today we were doing a lot of writing activities which required me to not be sitting for a very long time (pretty much half the day). I walk all over the classrooms, up and down stairs, and from rooms to rooms. Would you count this as exercise? or as basic daily living that doesnt need to be counted?

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    adjust your daily activity settings. it's not exercise.
  • Suerhv
    Suerhv Posts: 61 Member
    I count it as my basic daily living (lightly active setting)...I teach primary and we are pretty active, picking the kids up at recesses, moving between groups, up and downstairs for library at my school, knowing that some days it is a little more or a little less... I only count exercise as exercise , or if we do a long walk with the kids, or go skating or something together that I add in a bit of calories but knowing I am supervising I am not going as quickly as I would.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    I'm a special education ed tech working with behavior children. I walk A LOT, half of that is running. I don't log it as exercise. I have my settings at very active. I figure since the walking and running is part of my typical day and I would be doing it no matter what, it's not really exercise.
  • this is what i thought. it felt silly loggin 200 something calorie exercise for 45 min of walking lol
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    I'm a college professor and do a lot of walking throughout the day, both during classes and between classrooms (even between buildings). I set my lifestyle as lightly active, but I don't count any of that as exercise.
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    I teach middle school and don't hardly ever sit down unless I want to be a target. LOL Just kidding but yeah, i am on my feet a lot and moving throughout each class almost always.

I set my activity level as moderately active. I don't count it as exercise. I run for exercise. Exercise for me is something that makes me get my heart rate up and sweat!
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    You need to think clearly about this. For an older person who is sedentary, walking is exercise no matter how many minutes. If you sat in front of your laptop all day you would not be burning as many calories as you would if you were walking around. Therefore for normal walking around the house why bother logging it - but if you are cleaning the house or moving things about, lifting and carrying that is moderate exercise. Sitting on the sofa is a couch potato - nil points

So why don't you log your 40 minutes of walking - because I tell you what - you will be burning calories - just because you are not out on the street with your ipod and water bottle means nothing. You need to log every calorie burned and every calorie consumed. It is that simple