Am I gaining fat or muscle?

Options
I have been using MFP for about a month and a half, and I almost always come at or below my calorie limit. I run 3 miles 6 days a week, and I do strength exercises [push ups, squats]. However, I have gained weight in the last month. I think my body looks more toned, but maybe it's just in my head.

My question is: is it possible that my weight gain is because I gained muscle, rather than fat? I've heard that you can't gain muscle at a calorie deficit, but I definitely think I look better and feel stronger.

Also, I'm a female, so I know that I don't have the testosterone levels to really put on a lot of muscle.

If anyone knows how to answer my questions or wants to give some advise I would really appreciate it!!

Replies

• ilovemilkymoos
    ilovemilkymoos Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes you can gain muscle while on a calorie deficit.

Most likely (if you are eating the correctly ) you are gaining muscle.

So many people lose hope and interest if their weight doesnt decrease, the scales only tell part of the story.

Body composition (fat calipers/dexa etc) will give you a true outlook.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    A lot of things are possible, including minor muscular gains or water retention/fluctuations. Most likely is miscalculating inputs (food, exercise) or estimates (activity level, TDEE). Sounds like you're getting healthier though, and you think you're looking better, so that's good.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes you can gain muscle while on a calorie deficit.

Most likely (if you are eating the correctly ) you are gaining muscle.

So many people lose hope and interest if their weight doesnt decrease, the scales only tell part of the story.

Body composition (fat calipers/dexa etc) will give you a true outlook.

It's doubtful a woman is gaining any muscle mass assuming she is on a calorie deficit. The only people gaining new lean body mass on on a deficit are morbidly obese people (not the OP) and complete noobs to weight training or exercise. The more likely scenario is water retention and some fat loss. Water retention will mask the weight loss but you can see more definition still.

OP, how much are you eating and what is your exercise routine?
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you were in a calorie SURPLUS and everything was just right, protein, heavy lifting, consistent progression etc., as a woman, you would be able to gain about 1 to 1.5 pounds of muscle in a month.
  • SmarTam
    SmarTam Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    IT is not possible to build muscles for a woman in just one or two months. IT takes more than a few months for that to happen if you are on a calorie deficit diet.
  • hp831
    Options
    Thanks for the answer! I usually aim for around 1800 calories, because my recommendation is 1500 + around 300 from running. And like I said, I run 3 miles 6 days a week, and I do strength exercises [push ups, squats]
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Yay, to the moderator. Thanks, for answering for me. Did you have a nice vacation?
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    Thanks for the answer! I usually aim for around 1800 calories, because my recommendation is 1500 + around 300 from running. And like I said, I run 3 miles 6 days a week, and I do strength exercises [push ups, squats]

You are simply not in a deficit. It is fat, not muscle. How are you calculating your calories burned? If you are estimating it it's safe to assume you are eating back calories you never burned.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Sorry missed that point. Do your squats and stuff include weight or just body weight? If just body weight, it's about a 0% chance you will gain any muscle. You need to hypertrophy your muscles and eat in a surplus to have that ability.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...I do strength exercises [push ups, squats]....
    My question is: is it possible that my weight gain is because I gained muscle, rather than fat?

Unlikely.
  • psuLemon
    Options

You are simply not in a deficit. It is fat, not muscle. How are you calculating your calories burned? If you are estimating it it's safe to assume you are eating back calories you never burned.
    '

I doubt it's even fat. It's water retention most likely. I have yet to see an active 19 year old with a tdee less than 1800 calories. And if you don't exceed your TDEE, then you can't gain fat.
  • jeffpettis
    Options

'

I doubt it's even fat. It's water retention most likely. I have yet to see an active 19 year old with a tdee less than 1800 calories. And if you don't exceed your TDEE, then you can't gain fat.

My point was, it's not muscle!!! :drinker: But if someone is in a calorie surplus yes they can gain fat in a months time, no matter their age.
  • psuLemon
    Options

'

My point was, it's not muscle!!! :drinker:

Sorry, the way it reads was that it was fat. :laugh: