whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Marijuana addiction? Seriously?

Wow.

Out.
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    chocolatecoveredkatie.com in regards to making better versions of junk food.

as far as the cravings, you may need to just cut yourself off and let it get out of your system. are you bored, emotional when this happens? hopefully you can figure out what triggers those binges so you can get to the main problem and work from there.

im in recovery for an eating disorder, ednos restrictive type. i have binges now and then, and usually they are when i am very emotional and feeling depressed or like i have no control over anything in my life. i am working on those issues, and the binging is almost gone.

some people do better limiting to a sweet they crave to curb the binges, others need to eiliminate all of it from their life. hopefully you can find what works for you.

i recommend eda groups. they have them over the phone, in group chats and in person and the support is amazing

eta: prelogging has also helped me stay on track, and that way you can even add in ahead of time a treat so you don't have to worry about going over for the day. and if you go over or have a binge, move on. don't dwell on it, don't give up. just move on to the next day and go from there

Thanks :). I actually attend celebrate recovery at my church which is all encompassing of many addictions/habits whatever you want to call them.
  • misti777
    Options

Wow.

Out.

Let me guess, you're one of the types of people who believe that marijuana isn't even drug and that it is not addicting at all.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Options

Wow.

Out.

Let me guess, you're one of the types of people who believe that marijuana isn't even drug and that it is not addicting at all.

People are born with or without a predisposition to be addicted to something. Addiction runs in my family. People always say "blah blah blah, you can't get addicted to marijuana, THC isn't even addicting" but what they don't know is that an addictive personality can get easily addicted to it. The minute you become dependent on something and feel out of control, and like you have to have it, it is an addiction. Does everyone get addicted to weed? No. Do some people? Yes.
  • misti777
    Options

Wow.

Out.

People are born with or without a predisposition to be addicted to something. Addiction runs in my family. People always say "blah blah blah, you can't get addicted to marijuana, THC isn't even addicting" but what they don't know is that an addictive personality can get easily addicted to it. The minute you become dependent on something and feel out of control, and like you have to have it, it is an addiction. Does everyone get addicted to weed? No. Do some people?

Yes. Thank you. Both my parents are marijuana smokers, and probably use it for more than recreational. They both refer to it as medicine, and right now my younger sister is actually in denial about her addiction. My older brother and sister, however, have managed to avoid getting into drugs and the like. Which is good on them, of course, but have never really understand what it was like to actually be in my position and feel out of control.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Anyway. I find it strange that you only started binging after quitting marijuana. Just seems backwards. I saw you're still living at home, so I guess your best bet is to ask your parents to limit junk food purchases so they're not as tempting. Though for a lifestyle change, you're going to have to learn how to control your binges regardless of what food is around you.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I LOVE junk food!! I will tell you honestly that if I am hungry, it is much harder for me to not eat that piece of chocolate, or helping of chips. I have solved that for me, by allowing myself some of what I like and eating 5 or 6 times a day, as that way I am not hungry.

U also keep plenty of options in the house that are better for me. That helps!!

You may like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2fsg6pvzLE
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I found that If I go without eating junk food for most of the day, I feel very unsatisfied and end up overeating/binging/eating junk food and I am upset with myself, because I worked very hard to stay under my calorie limit for the day. I just do it without thinking. I just think I want it, and then I have it. I do fight with myself but I usually end up giving in. Does any who has experienced this and gotten over this have any tips to keep me from going through with the overeating?

I did not read everyone's posts.. but I eat one item of pure junk each day. I figure if I'm eating 4 out of 5 good meals or 5 out of 6, I'm doing pretty good. I think its the best way to eliminate binging
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Options

Wow.

Out.

People are born with or without a predisposition to be addicted to something. Addiction runs in my family. People always say "blah blah blah, you can't get addicted to marijuana, THC isn't even addicting" but what they don't know is that an addictive personality can get easily addicted to it. The minute you become dependent on something and feel out of control, and like you have to have it, it is an addiction. Does everyone get addicted to weed? No. Do some people? Yes.

Wow^they edited my post -___-
  • feby28
    feby28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eat clean for the entirety of a week except for one cheat meal.

I have an addiction to sweets, so this month im banning all sweet and savory unhealthy snacks like cake, chocolate, chips and alcohol.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    In before alarmism.

Listen, if you deprive yourself of the things you like you're more than likely going to fail. Just incorporate a certain amount of the food you like every day, maybe towards the end of the day. This may help you stay within your goals and not feel deprived.

This. And calling it an addiction is a way to absolve yourself of responsibility for your actions and offensive to people with real addictions.

Actually, I am recovering from an addiction to marijuana. Almost as soon as I got sober, I began overeating and binging occasionally. I pretty much traded one addiction for another. Besides, you can't really speak for other people who do have drug addictions or alcoholism, myself being a good example. I honestly felt offended that you would think that a food addiction is not real. Food addiction is very real. Chemicals in processed food can cause our brain to react in similar ways that drugs do. It's the fake sugars and preservatives and MSG. Kind of like caffeine. Caffeine is a drug and if your body gets to used to having it every day, and then you stop drinking coffee, you will get headaches. If you cut out all bread, noodles, crackers, and other carbs, which I have done before, you actually get headaches. These are withdrawal symptoms and I have read on someone's myfitnesspal post, can't remember who, that they had headaches and stuff when they cut out their processed food. My aunt from my dad's side said she got headaches and stuff when she cuts out her carbs. An addiction can also be defined as something you can't stop. If I could stop overeating, I would have done it a long time ago. I do feel very responsible for my actions, and in no way do I blame my being addicted to food on the overeating. If I had to eat drink one drink every day, I would be considered alcoholic. If I have to have at least one peanut butter and jelly sandwich every day, I would probably be addicted to them. And that's pretty much what I do. As much as I love salad, vegetables, and fruit, my body for some reason craves the processed peanut butter, jelly and bread. It's kind of like a relapse if I try to control myself all day and then giving in and having two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, when I could have just allowed myself a half with a piece of fruit at lunch time.

I find it offensive that you would be offended by that. You comparing your love of candy and cakes to drugs. It's funny because when I was away in my 28 day program or my 3 month intensive out patient program I don't remember hearing any stories on snickers withdrawals. Did you hear that in your programs?

I was addicted to snickers once. true story. *unwraps snickers*
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    My recommendation is not to cut all junk food out of your diet, but DO cut it out of your grocery trips. If it isn't there, you can't binge on it. Then work small amounts of your favorite things into your daily goals.

Well, this is where I am limited on the choices I can make. I am barely going to be turning nineteen in december, and have been trying to get a job for a few months now. Once I get a job and can maybe afford a small apartment or at least move in with a roommate, I will be able to avoid having those things in my house that lead to overeating.

I am so in love with crisps and chocolate it isnt even funny. I made it until 8.30pm after a 14 mile bike ride and massive dinner before i caved and had a kinda bueno that put me 80cals over my goal. I used to binge alot especially when I wasnt logging, I would get a pepparami and eat it on my way home from Asda then I would eat dinner and have a tub of pringles to myself as a snack. I think one night I ate 8 penguins in one go.

The first thing I did was to not go cold turkey and to make deals with myself. In my food plan for the day I have a bag of ice gems as an afternoon snack, its only 99 calories but it is pure sugar and biscuit so I feel like I am being naughty and it helps me with my need for naughtiness. If I want to eat a chocolate bar then I put it in my diary and work out how far I need to run / cycle to allow me to have it and I make myself earn it.

The second was I made an agreement with my BF that we are only allowed one takeaway a week, so we now have a take away on a Saturday if we want one and eat at home 6 days of the week. This helps me get through the week as I think only 3 more days and I can have chinese food

Another thing that I try and do is to find healthy versions of the junk food that I love, so instead of KFC I make my own mash and gravey and do my own version of crispy chicken but I grill it rather than fry it, or I make my own burgers with cheese and low fat dressing and have them with home made chips and no bun etc

When the junk food craving hits me in the evening I have stocked up on sugar free fruit ice lollies which are 38 calories each so I will have one or two of these for a sweet hit

So basically I would summerise:

1. dont go cold turkey, try and incorporate small amounts of the food you love into your daily plan
    2. if you need it, allow yourself a treat day once a week / fortnight / month where you can have a treat meal
    3. find alternative versions of the junk food you love so you can eat healthier versions
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    You would. A snickers ice cream bar sounds pretty awesome right about now in this 92 degree weather.

oh I love those! :love:
  • BubonicTonic
    BubonicTonic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    A lot of people who advocate allowing yourself a little bit of the sugary stuff so that you don't go crazy and fall into a binge. I totally understand that. But for me one bite is just the beginning. It's easier for me to go completely sugar-free, with some good substitutions for my "cheat treat" or whatever. If I allow even one cookie in, then it's too easy to allow another and another... "it's just one cookie, it fits in my macros, it's ok, I deserve it"... etc etc. Then I'm back to craving junk food 24/7. Once you get past the first few days of junk food withdrawal it's much easier. You have to work at it. You have to practice walking past the junk food. Don't even look at it. I allow some good stuff like diet coke, expensive coffee (black), low-sugar trail mix (no m&ms) in moderation. Good tip to wait until the end of the day to allow yourself to have this.

I realize you feel helpless against your food addiction. But understand how awesome it will feel when you can finally get some control over what you eat! It's amazing! Focus on and work towards that! You are worth it!
  • misti777
    Options
    In before alarmism.

Listen, if you deprive yourself of the things you like you're more than likely going to fail. Just incorporate a certain amount of the food you like every day, maybe towards the end of the day. This may help you stay within your goals and not feel deprived.

This. And calling it an addiction is a way to absolve yourself of responsibility for your actions and offensive to people with real addictions.

Actually, I am recovering from an addiction to marijuana. Almost as soon as I got sober, I began overeating and binging occasionally. I pretty much traded one addiction for another. Besides, you can't really speak for other people who do have drug addictions or alcoholism, myself being a good example. I honestly felt offended that you would think that a food addiction is not real. Food addiction is very real. Chemicals in processed food can cause our brain to react in similar ways that drugs do. It's the fake sugars and preservatives and MSG. Kind of like caffeine. Caffeine is a drug and if your body gets to used to having it every day, and then you stop drinking coffee, you will get headaches. If you cut out all bread, noodles, crackers, and other carbs, which I have done before, you actually get headaches. These are withdrawal symptoms and I have read on someone's myfitnesspal post, can't remember who, that they had headaches and stuff when they cut out their processed food. My aunt from my dad's side said she got headaches and stuff when she cuts out her carbs. An addiction can also be defined as something you can't stop. If I could stop overeating, I would have done it a long time ago. I do feel very responsible for my actions, and in no way do I blame my being addicted to food on the overeating. If I had to eat drink one drink every day, I would be considered alcoholic. If I have to have at least one peanut butter and jelly sandwich every day, I would probably be addicted to them. And that's pretty much what I do. As much as I love salad, vegetables, and fruit, my body for some reason craves the processed peanut butter, jelly and bread. It's kind of like a relapse if I try to control myself all day and then giving in and having two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, when I could have just allowed myself a half with a piece of fruit at lunch time.

I find it offensive that you would be offended by that. You comparing your love of candy and cakes to drugs. It's funny because when I was away in my 28 day program or my 3 month intensive out patient program I don't remember hearing any stories on snickers withdrawals. Did you hear that in your programs?

Food addiction is actually being researched as a legitimate addiction.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh, try to eat a apple