NSV - Just ran longer than I have ever in my life!!!

Options
beabria
beabria Posts: 541 Member
So my weight-loss success has been slow and minimal, but finally I have some success to share. I just ran for 20 minutes continuously for the first time in my entire life!!!!
I've been working through the c25k running program (slooowly as with everything else). Today was the big day - the first workout where you run the whole thing. Twenty minutes without stopping to walk or rest. I have never done this before in my life - never. Not when I was a kid, not when I was doing trail running/hiking in grad school Never. The high today was 99 and I hate the heat. It's "that time of the month" and I was crabby and cramping. I had a day that was a mostly downhill emotional rollercoaster. I wasn't going to do it. But, needing some outlet for that emotional rollercoaster that was more productive than beating on a pillow or crying to my cats (also something less pathetic!), and seeing that it was a cool 94 around sunset, I went for it. Fully expecting to not finish, I told myself to just give it my best. But I did it!!!! Not only that, but it wasn't terrible. My pace was nearly what it was for my normal running intervals, and I only felt the strong need to check my remaining time 3 times in twenty minutes.
For some, this may be a mere warmup, but for me, this is a major win. :D

Replies

• imafitmom
    imafitmom Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Well done, congratulations! Can't wait to read how you enjoyed your first 5K!!! Way to go:wink:
  • Great job! You should be so encouraged!
  • BigDaddy0825
    Options
    AWESOME!! JUST AWESOME!!
  • hnsr1021
    hnsr1021 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That's great! Congratulations!!
  • jessbro1977
    jessbro1977 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Doesn't it feel great? I did 25 minutes(week 7) and I too have NEVER been a runner, and it felt so good to succeed! glad you had a good run CONGRATS!!
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud for you. I know how hard it is to start running when you are out of shape and how good it feels to be making progress. Keep up the good work!
  • Nurse_Christy
    Nurse_Christy Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Great job! I can't wait for that day!
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I'm doing C25K as well, and that feeling after you run for a full twenty minutes is amazing- you really know you can do anything!
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Anyone who tells you "oh, it's not that hard" should do it themselves. My weight loss ticker has a quote that got me started on this exercise path: No matter how slow (or fast) you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch!
  • FiJ73
    Options
    So stoked for you!! Bet the whole roller coaster became much happier *grin*

What a mammoth effort :)
  • imafitmom
    imafitmom Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Anyone who tells you "oh, it's not that hard" should do it themselves. My weight loss ticker has a quote that got me started on this exercise path: No matter how slow (or fast) you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch!

Oh my gosh - I love that quote!!!!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    That is fabulous, congrats.
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I'm still all smiles. And, I like the idea that I'm lapping those on the couch - and myself only a short time ago. :)
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! That's fantastic!!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You had everything going against you yet you overcame and set a personal record. You inspire me! Congratulations, very touching.
  • salobrau
    salobrau Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It is empowering to realize something you just 'knew' you could never do has been done. I finished my 20 minute run last week and know exactly how you feel. Great job.
  • slarobinson
    slarobinson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great Job!!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! The feeling when you finish Week 5, Day 3 is truly awesome. That one workout is the reason you know you can finish the rest of the program. Well done!
  • nshollan
    Options
    Congrats!!! So proud of you! I am running intervals currently and having never been a 'runner'... I know the struggle, the self talk that goes on in our heads. To get out there and do it - so wonderful!! What was your strategy? Did you have a mantra to repeat to help get outside your head? To me, the mental aspect is the hardest... Love to hear what is working for you...
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Great job running for 20 minutes straight. I have been where you are so I know very well the thrill that comes with this. I am also very proud of you for choosing to go ahead and run despite the terrible day you were having when it would have been easier to just sit on the couch and feel miserable. That in itself is an awesome achievement. You made a great choice for yourself and your mental and physical health. You rock :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!