Ladies I've got a ?

Options
My doctor has put me on tri-estarylla which is a bc pill to regulate my TOM. I have been on it now for 13 days the last 3 days I have been feeling like I want to eat, eat, and eat then I get cravings, and not very motivated to do much of anything. I have not skipped a pill and takin a test etc.... so I know I'm not pregnant. I'm just not wanting to gain any weight from taking this which I have been known to gain when on a bc, have any of you ladies taken this and gained weight or had any similar symptoms? Maybe these symptoms will go away after my body get accustomed to it? Idk any advice would Help!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    My doctor has put me on tri-estarylla which is a bc pill to regulate my TOM. I have been on it now for 13 days the last 3 days I have been feeling like I want to eat, eat, and eat then I get cravings, and not very motivated to do much of anything. I have not skipped a pill so I know I'm not pregnant. I'm just not wanting to gain any weight from taking this which I have been known to gain when on a bc, have any of you ladies taken this and gained weight or had any similar symptoms? Maybe these symptoms will go away after my body get accustomed to it? Idk any advice would Help!

.....you know it's not 100%, right?
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    UGH. I'm the same with any BCP's. AND crabby. I just can't take them and have stopped. Some people swear the symptoms let up over time, but mine just got worse and worse and I eventually just quit. Hopefully, yours will quit. BC's basically keep you from getting prego by telling your body it is already prego and then SURPRISE! You stop taking them and get your period. That's why you have one week of sugar pills. So, you can either give it a full 30 to 60 days or you can try something else or just quit taking them and try another type of BC.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You won't gain weight from a BC pill, but you could gain from eating too much food. You just control what you put in your mouth and it won't happen. If you know you should legitimately not be hungry, have some tea/coffee/water and go for a walk or something, play some music, read a book.

Hormones - both natural and synthetic - can cause a variety of changes to appetite among other responses in the body. You can overcome them. BC pills simulate pregnancy in the body, so possibly you do have increased appetite from it. But you choose what you eat.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a bit for your body to adjust. And if you don't start feeling like yourself again, you may need to try a different pill.
  • change30
    change30 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    lol guess I should have put on there took a test etc! Yes I know, wrong wording!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    snow-white-head-explode.gif
  • change30
    Options
    Thanks Ladies for the responses :)
  • Satiable
    Options
    Maybe these symptoms will go away after my body get accustomed to it? Idk any advice would Help!

OP, a lot of women need to try a few different types of pill before they find one that suits their body. Tri-estarylla is a triphasic combination pill -- it alternates between 3 levels of hormones throughout the month, and contains both estrogen and progestin.

You might find that a biphasic pill -- which usually have lower levels of hormones -- or even a minipill (progestin only) will suit you better. Why not go back to your doctor and discuss the alternatives?

Good luck!
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Weight gain from birth control is common. I personally gained around 15 lbs after starting but I also had terrible menses that I didn't eat much during (due to pain and nausea). It's pretty individualistic, but eat when you are actually hungry and keep measuring everything.

For me, my increased appetite sort of smoothed itself over after a few months.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I wasn't weighing myself when I was on BC so I don't know if I gained weight. BUT, I know I was a beast! I was soooooo moody....and that usually contributes to unhealthy eating...
  • nadiahamidi
    Options
    It had exactly the same symptoms when I first started, it took me about a month for my body to get used to it but after that it's totally fine. Also it did wonders for my skin!

I didn't gain weight on it, but I did have the urge to eat everything and anything in front of me. You just have to resist. It'll soon pass!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Sorry you have to be on the bcp. It sucks. I had a terrible time with mood and weight gain and feeling nuts on the one that was almost pulled. Only stayed on it for like 6 months, just felt awful, not myself at all.

If I had to do it again (which I won't, ever), I'd go with the smallest dose of the least amount of hormones that might get an effect and then move up only if it didn't work.
  • change30
    Options
    Thank You Nadia :) exactly a response I was hoping for someone that has been taking it and can relate, can't wait for it to pass, I've been doing really good taking some others advice drinking water to fight a craving etc...Thanks again :)
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    I am on Lo Lo Estrin. It is great! The lowest dose of hormones in pill form for birth control. I have never had bad symptoms from birth control. But I have been on Ortho Tri-cyclen, nuvaring, and now LoLo.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Maybe these symptoms will go away after my body get accustomed to it? Idk any advice would Help!

OP, a lot of women need to try a few different types of pill before they find one that suits their body. Tri-estarylla is a triphasic combination pill -- it alternates between 3 levels of hormones throughout the month, and contains both estrogen and progestin.

You might find that a biphasic pill -- which usually have lower levels of hormones -- or even a minipill (progestin only) will suit you better. Why not go back to your doctor and discuss the alternatives?

Good luck!

This. It took me quite a few different pills (plus a go-round with the nuvaring) before I found the one I'm on now, which seems to have fewer side effects for me. I think I may have actually lost count of how many I've tried... 4? 5? 6? But this one works for me, finally.

I'd definitely say give it a month or two - it can take up to three months to settle into a new pill, and I have found that some of the symptoms subside for me after a couple of months - but if you're still having issues, it's definitely worth discussing with your doctor.