Eating before or after exercise?

Options
So I have recently started training for a half-marathon. And I'm conflicted about what to do with my eating habits. I generally don't eat too much during the day, and have a good dinner. I feel like I need to eat something before I go to the gym, because I tend to feel more tired than I should while working out. The problem is, I also tend to get stomach cramps and feel nauseous if I eat before working out. Are there certain foods that would help combat that? And how long before working out should I eat?

Replies

• marysidneyherbert
    Options
    I think you need to experiment and see what works best for you. I'd recommend a book called Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes, by Monique Ryan.
  • BIRD0
    BIRD0 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like to eat at least an hour before going to the gym. I usually eat 2-3 hours before. Afterwards, I eat usually within 30 minutes to an hour. I'm done with my workout around 5:30-6:00pm so it falls in line with dinner.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Options
    I usually eat something with some carbs/starch an hour or so before a workout--it's great for energy. Whole grain pasta or oatmeal. Afterwards, eat something protein. I usually have a 170 cal luna protein bar, almonds, lowfat chocolate milk, etc.
  • KateGifford
    KateGifford Posts: 2,397 Member
    Options
    @marysydneyher, that book sounds wonderful, thank you!

@BIRDO and @weightlossdiv, thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to focus something out that is good for energy (and healthy!), but is also easy. I go straight from work to the gym, so I can't have anything that requires cooking.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I eat a Quest bar and some water first thing in the AM before I work out. Then 2 hours later I have my breakfast.
  • KateGifford
    Options
    @MrM27, that's smart. Something light but energy packed. Thanks.

@dwh77tx, I'm pretty much on the opposite of that schedule. I work out after work. But I'll definitely have to look in to those Quest bars.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    @dwh77tx, I'm pretty much on the opposite of that schedule. I work out after work. But I'll definitely have to look in to those Quest bars.
    [/quote]

they are SO yummy! I try to choose the ones around 160-170 calories. They vary between 160-210 cals. I get mine from GNC- they are not sold everywhere. They are pricey though :)
  • benjicloverdale
    benjicloverdale Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like thomas multigrain english muffin w/ Morningstar black bean burger and walmart black bean and corn salsa. Just need toaster & microwave.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    So you are training for a half-marathon, and also "going to the gym"
    What are you doing in the gym?

For me personally, I have started doing Intermittent Fasting, so I have not eaten anything (save for maybe 5 nuts on occasion) before hitting the gym for my workout......but that is doing weights.
    Not running.....

So I would think you would want something lite in your stomach for jogging.....maybe carb up 24 hours earlier??
  • KateGifford
    Options
    @mitymax96, sorry, when I say I'm going to the gym, I mean I am just using the treadmill. I don't like running outside, so I go to the gym to do it. Also, I am not sure about carbing up. I would basically be doing that every day then, and I'm looking more for something that will keep my energy up without being too heavy.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    @mitymax96, sorry, when I say I'm going to the gym, I mean I am just using the treadmill. I don't like running outside, so I go to the gym to do it. Also, I am not sure about carbing up. I would basically be doing that every day then, and I'm looking more for something that will keep my energy up without being too heavy.

But if you are running and training for a half marathon.....my guess is you are using up the carbs you ingest on a regular basis.
    No??
  • KateGifford
    Options
    @mitymax96 I guess that's true. I'll have to look more into what kind of carbs to be eating. Thanks! :)
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    @mitymax96 I just started Intermettent Fasting too and I love it!

@KateGifford I've found that some protein before a workout was much more beneficial that carbs ever were but thats me. Try and experiment to see what works best for you.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I am liking it a lot so far. :smile: