Measurement fluctuations

Options
I'm taking measurements of my hips, thigh, waist, and across my bellybutton in addition to weighing myself to track progress. But, I'm finding dramatic fluctuations in my measurements. I started measuring frequently to figure out what was going on. I've found that not only does my stomach expand after eating - which is expected - but that most of my measurements are .5-1.0" smaller in the morning than the evening. And, my hips and thighs are larger after exercising by 1-2". I know that muscles swell temporarily after exercise, but this seems quite excessive. Are fluctuations this dramatic normal?

Replies

• delyn356
    delyn356 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The thing with measurements is there is always a margin of error (.5"-1" is normal) because you can't be sure you're measuring at the same exact place every single time. Even though you can try your best to measure in the same place, it might not always be the case.

Also, after exercising muscles can retain water or well & it could lead to temporary increase in size. So with the temporary increase in size post workout along with not measuring in the same exact place, those fluctuations seem pretty normal.