Good jalapeno lime jam recipe?

feelin_gr_8
feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
My hubby and I just made our first jam...canned and all. We had some jalapenos from my sister's garden. After all the time and ingredients wasted....it tastes like apple cider vinegar.....and maybe a small hint of jalapenos. GROSS!!!! Soooo disappointed! Honestly, we're talking of saving it for white elephant gifts come this Christmas :( Soooo....does anyone have a tried a true one that won't be a bust?

Replies

• feelin_gr_8
    Anyone?
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    I used this recipe a while back. :) A flexible enough recipe. It allows your peppers of choice to lend their flavour to the jelly without your mixture ending up favouring the accompanying ingredients.

4liyc8.jpg

Pepper Jelly Recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pepper-jelly-recipe/index.html
  • feelin_gr_8
    I just wonder how it would be any different...we used 1 lb of jalapenos (estimating about 4 cups!) and 2 c vinegar....that recipe has only 1/4 c hot pepper (1 c total peppers) and 1.5 c vinegar...and you didn't taste tons of vinegar?
  • 777Gemma888
    Did you taste test your batch of peppers? What did you do to your peppers pre the food processor?
  • 777Gemma888
    I prefer to retain 'the heat' when I make mine ~ so I seed some and use some whole.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    I made this recipe with the peppers from our garden:

http://musingsfromaworkaholic.com/2013/07/17/lets-be-*****in-in-the-kitchen/

I also retained some of the seeds, because I like it spicy.

ETA: the *s are b I t c h I n without the spaces. Sorry 'bout that...
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    jalapeno lime jam???!! seriously???!! this sounds like my kind of thing!!!! i've never heard of this, but i LOVE jalapenos and i LOVE limes. now i need to know... what do you put it on? tacos and the like?
  • juliemouse83
    I put the jelly on top of cram cheese on bagels, crackers, toast, etc. I have also made chicken with it. I think I have that recipe floating around, too...

ETA: can't put my hands on it online, but I'll find the recipe and post shortly.
  • 777Gemma888
    Did you give it a 'taste test' whilst the jelly was still hot? Once refrigerated the vinegar taste should dissipate. Once refrigerated, your jelly will also start to lose its distinctive pepperiness. . Did you use bell peppers? I like to use red over green or yellow.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    I put the jelly on top of cram cheese on bagels, crackers, toast, etc. I have also made chicken with it. I think I have that recipe floating around, too...

ETA: can't put my hands on it online, but I'll find the recipe and post shortly.

sounds AWESOME. i'm gonna need to make myself some. i also have some friends that i would like to make some for that would probably think its the most amazing stuff in the world.
  • juliemouse83
    HA! Found it:

Pepper Glazed Cajun Chicken Breasts:

Makes 4 servings. 210 cal, 25g protein, 11g carbs, 8g fat per serving.

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4 oz ea)

1 tsp Cajun seasoning

1 tbs vegetable oil

1/4 cup chopped green onions

6 tbs jalapeño jelly

1/4 cup chicken broth

2 tbs white vinegar

Sprinkle Cajun seasoning on chicken. Brown in oil over medium heat about 10 minutes (until brown), turning occasionally. Remove chicken.

Add onions to drippings in skillet. Cook & stir 2 minutes. Add jelly, broth, and vinegar. Stir until jelly melts.

Return chicken to skillet; spoon glaze over chicken. Cover and cook over medium heat 5-7 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove chicken.

Increase heat to medium-high, stirring, until glaze reduces and thickens slightly. Spoon over chicken and serve.

This was REALLY good!
  • feelin_gr_8
    I didn't taste the jalapenos before adding them, here's the recipe we followed: http://www.food.com/recipe/jalapeno-lime-garlic-jelly-387642

We did less garlic and a little more jalapenos/limes. We tasted it last night after we made it but it had cooled to room temperature and this afternoon after it had been chilled overnight. Still not a fan...
  • feelin_gr_8
    Forgot to mention-I've only really tried it on cream cheese with crackers before but I loved it when I tried it at a potluck.
  • not quite that lime and jalapeno was ever going to taste good, but i offer this as a choice.
    6 red peppers
    6 red chillies - do jalapenos go red?
    1.25 kilo sugar
    360ml white wine vinegar
    125g liquid pectin
    sweet smoked paprika

take seeds from peppers and chillies
    put the peppers and chillies in processor and chop finely.
    put in pan with vinegar and sugar.
    bring to the boil for 5 minutes
    add pectin according to packet instructions
    add paprika
    bring to boil and boil to setting point is reached.
    pour into sterilised jars

this is good as jam on toast or with ham, cheese or chicken