Anyone done a triathalon?

Options
I'm thinking about doing a triathlon next month. It's an 'enticer' which is a nice way of saying it is quite easy distances for a novice. I am confident I can complete it - which is all I am aiming to do.

The thing is, I've never done one before, never watched one and neither has anyone I know. I read the race briefing and it really highlighted I have no idea. Apparently this is a no drafting race and it took me ages to work out what that was...

It's a swim, cycle then run, not sure if all races are in that order. It will be a swim in the bay.

Basic questions:

-what do I wear? I'm a large busted lady so wear 2 bras to run in. I was thinking my usual 2 bras with a swim shirt for the swim leg and then swap the shirt for a dry one I have already pinned my race number to. I had a look at the online store and unless I can lose 10kg in a month I won't be comfortable wearing one of the triathlon suits they have for sale.
-so I stagger out of the water, run up to transition (by transition I assume they just mean where you put your shoes on, grab your bike etc), should I have a towel there to at least dry my legs before putting shoes on?
-is there a limit to the stuff I can have in transition? I was thinking my bike (obviously), helmet, towel, socks, shoes, shirt, maybe sunglasses
-I can turn up the day before to 'rack' my bike. I assume that means put it in a stand ready for the next day. Will they secure this overnight? Do I have a designated spot? How do they know whose bike is whose? You don't need to wear a race number in the swim section to match to your bike.
-Do I have an allowance of time for transition (say 5 minutes) or is it all timed?
-do people bother with music/sunglasses/hats etc? All that extra stuff I would have if I was going for a ride/run from home?
-
So does anyone have any tips? The more mundane the better. I really have no idea.

Thanks

Replies

• ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes you gotta do a tri. They are so great. To answer your questions as best I can - I've done several sprint and two Olympic distances, so not a pro by any means, but I started exactly where you are or below - I had to learn how to swim laps and then work my way up to swimming in open water!

What do I wear?
    The triathlon suits are actually really nice, what I usally do is wear a bra under one, then put on a pair of shorts and a wicking T-shirt over it for the run and bike, or just shorts. But you don't need one. Your plan sounds fine. (You don't need two bras to run if you get a good sports bra though - I'm a G cup and wear Goddess and Freya sports bras and do great with those, one at a time. Goddess has gotten me through several half-marathons and a marathon.)

Should I have a towel?
    Yes, if you want one. I just use it to dry my feet to make it easier to put shoes on. And maybe a swipe through my hair.

Is there a limit to what I can have in transition?
    Depends on the race, but usually if everything is tidy or in a bag you can have whatever you need. In addition to the stuff you listed, have a banana or snack, a small first aid kit, extra pair of socks. Since you're doing a short race I wouldn't worry about much else.

Bike secured overnight, etc.?
    Depends on the race, but in general if you can rack your bike the night before the area is secured and patrolled. You will have a designated spot. Every race I've done has included a number sticker for your bike that matches your running bib.

Allowance of time for transition?
    It is all timed. Some people take transition very seriously and practice transitioning to have the shortest time possible. I use it as a time to regroup before the next leg, so I don't worry about the timing much - I don't lollygag, but I don't stress myself out either.

Music/sunglasses/hat?
    Music might not be allowed. Definitely sunglasses and hat if that's how you normally run.

My biggest tip is that if you have not practiced open-water swimming (as in, trying to swim in a straight line or cover a certain distance - not just funning around) - make sure to do that at least twice before the race. It is VERY, VERY different than swimming laps in a pool, and it can be disorienting. Practice getting off your bike and going immediately into a run a few times too, because it feels weird on your legs at first and it's good to not have that experience for the first time during a race.

Have fun - it will be a great experience. Yay triathlon!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Drafting - keep in mind that as soon as the other person is even slightly ahead of you, you must fall back to the appropriate distance. They usually go over the rules and demonstrate the distance where I am.

1. I now have a tri suit. My first I work an Adidas tank top with built in bra, then a regular sports bra so sort of double bra-ing but not. I'd strongly suggest one good one instead of two as they will be wet and bulky. I just wore regular tights on the bottom. I did bring a loose pair to throw on for the run. There are tri shorts but for shorter races, you don't really need them.

2. I always have a towel there. My biggest concern is getting sand off. Some people don't wear socks on the bike (they are also wearing bike shoes so this won't apply if you are wearing the same shoes biking and running) to allow the sand to dry/fall off.

I usually have two towels. One to put my stuff on and one to actually use. You can also bring a plastic container or garbage bag in case of bad weather. Again, people differ. Some people figure it's going to get wet anyways why bother. Others prefer to keep it dry.

3. I haven't seen a limit but some are pretty strict on how much room you can take up. Generally here it is the width of your handle bars and in front of your tire. I have all the gear you listed and more with no issue.
    I have my socks ready to go in my shoes, sunglasses, helmet (i always put it on first so I don't forget. It's a DQ to unrack your bike Wihtout helmet on and buckled here) and a watch. For the run I have a hat and sneakers. I sometimes have extra clothes for weather.

4. I always go the morning of since that is all that is offered. Security can be minimal. There was an incident at a recent ironman where a very expensive bike was taken. It is very uncommon though. Whether you have your own spot depends on the race and the size. I have never done one that did.

5. Transition is timed. No limit to how long you can take but t goes towards your total time.

6. Music is a no no in any tri I've ever heard of. I do bother with hats. It all depends on what you want to bother with In transition and what you like to run with. I'd say if you can do without, forget it. Keep it simple. I usually end up forgetting stuff in transition, like my watch.

I agree with the above - practice open water swim!

When packing I run through the race in my mind, what I need for the swim, what I will be doing when I get out of the water, what I need for the bike, the the run. Oh, check what the transition area is like. One race I do has quite a long transition from the water to the t zone so I bring flip flops.

Mostly just remember to have fun.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    On and do a few brick workouts if you can. That is, practicing running off of the bike. Do a few kilometers on the bike, the. Get off and run a km or two. Repeat a couple of times.
  • SassyDingo
    SassyDingo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those tips! Not sure I'll be able to practice the open water swimming before then though. I swim during the week at the gym as they have childminding. Might just have to hope for the best.

How come you aren't allowed music? I've done fun runs before and every second person had a head set on.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There is just too much going on especially coming in and out of transition with bikes. It can get hectic and everyone needs to be paying attention. It's not just everybody running in the same direction :)

If you can't practice the open-water swimming, just be mentally prepared for it to be very different. Try swimming some laps with your eyes closed the entire lenght of the pool to get used to swimming without being able to see.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Thanks for those tips! Not sure I'll be able to practice the open water swimming before then though. I swim during the week at the gym as they have childminding. Might just have to hope for the best.

How come you aren't allowed music? I've done fun runs before and every second person had a head set on.

Fun runs tend to be a little different.

A lot of major (and smaller) races are going with no headphone rules. It's a safety issue. I know many will argue against it but I have had issues in the race I organize where 2 people went off course, both could not hear the course marshals calling to them/giving directions. Not to mention issues with other runners and traffic.

Biking with headphones is a major no. I never considered even bothering to ring music for the run but every tri I've done no one has had it.