calories?

Options
Are you really suppose to eat that many calories? That is alot of calories!

Replies

• michelle29714
    Options
    Have you noticed that when we wexercise it adds back in those calories...i am not eatting them!
  • jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    thought the same thihng at first, but make sure you are netting at least 1200 cal a day otherwise you won't see progress, you might at first but it will not last.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    Are you really suppose to eat that many calories? That is alot of calories!

how many calories a day do you get? what exactly do you mean? if you are here to lose weight then chances are you have consumed well over your alloted amount in the past to gain weight that you are now trying to lose? Unless you have health issues that caused weight gain. I am confused by this
  • crystal29714
    Options
    I am new to the site. I put everything in and said I worked out and it says I am suppose to eat 1400 calories. I usually try to stay under 1200 a day, that is what I have heard was the normal for woman wanting to loose weight. I am confused from what it says on my home page.
  • Kimd1972
    Kimd1972 Posts: 45
    Options
    Hey!!! MFP calculates the number of calories you need to loose weight if you do not exercise! i.e. the daily calories you are allowed already have a "caloric deficit" calculated in per your current weight and lifestyle, so you need to at least eat those are you will throw your body into starvation mode. You have to eat to loose weight - shocking I know but the body is a complex machine! So the calories you EARN from exercise are meant to be eaten as well ~ Intially, you will see weight loss by not eating your minimum calories, but it will definitely stop!

Take it from me - I've lost 155 lbs before coming to MFP and I eat more now than I ever had!!! (More healthier food too) I'm here because I want to loose 30 - 40 more pounds....
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I am new to the site. I put everything in and said I worked out and it says I am suppose to eat 1400 calories. I usually try to stay under 1200 a day, that is what I have heard was the normal for woman wanting to loose weight. I am confused from what it says on my home page.

you have to eat at least 1200 a day! anything less can cause "starvation mode" when you exercise you should eat more. you don't have to eat all of that you earned. I recommend at least half. and you don't have to eat them in the very begining, that is what weight watchers recommends. surf the community boards and read what others have written regarding exercise calories and daily allowances. You will see results if you follow the advice of MFP

Best of Luck!!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

This is a huge misconception. There isn't a"normal woman" general calorie goal. It's based on a number of things; your current weight, your current activity level (outside of exercise) and your weight loss goal per week. Keep in mind that your body needs a minimum amount of intake calories to function at it's peak. This is what MFP has calculated for you based on how you answer the questions. It's not hard to consume 1400 calories, especially if you are eating fibrous carbs and lean proteins. The body burns this food more efficiently as fuel so one gets hungry often. :smile: Hope that helps some. Good luck!