"Southern Culture" and Dieting

Options

Replies

• Okay. I can do that!
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips. Don't say "no." Just say "less."
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    How can I eat healthier while living in the South? Everyone is an excellent cook here, and to deny their food is kinda insulting. PS I can't always make time to cook myself.
    It depends on where "In The South" you live. Here in Greenville South Carolina, there are the old school cookers but also lots of healthy foodies. It's also one of the most bicycle friendly cities in the country.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are as Southern as they come, and she is possibly the world's GREATEST cook... But it all comes down to portion control. I always blame her for making me fat, but she didn't force feed me. Southern food is not as unhealthy as a lot of other cultures foods. Meat and vegetables are not unhealthy, but overeating anything can make you fat.

Portion Control... :drinker:
  • Maybe its just my awful northern manners, but I don't care if someone is offended by my refusal to eat their food. The problem is theirs, not mine.
    I've always liked that philosophy, and usually I do that, but when it's somebody like your grandmother offering you a piece of pie, it's hard to say no.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I always offer to bring a dish to any sort of party and bring something I know I can enjoy. I usually also bring something like a fruit salad with me. That way, there are a couple of healthy things there that I can eat, and I fill up on those. I might try a bit of something special that the host makes and just savor a couple of bites rather than eat a whole serving.

It is much easier at a BBQ type party because you can spend most of your time wandering around and chatting with people and way less time eating.
  • A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips. Don't say "no." Just say "less."
    I like that! Thanks.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    How can I eat healthier while living in the South? Everyone is an excellent cook here, and to deny their food is kinda insulting. PS I can't always make time to cook myself.

Being from the South and a good southern boy I would never refuse the food. However I am very firm about how much I accept. What I do eat I eat with enjoyment and try to let my hostess know I truely did enjoy the meal. I also know when I go to visit I will be eating something and plan my daily eating accordingly. Most true Southern Hostesses will accomodate you especially if they know you are trying to lose weight or keep it off.
  • My wife and I are as Southern as they come, and she is possibly the world's GREATEST cook... But it all comes down to portion control. I always blame her for making me fat, but she didn't force feed me. Southern food is not as unhealthy as a lot of other cultures foods. Meat and vegetables are not unhealthy, but overeating anything can make you fat.

Portion Control... :drinker:
    Okay, thanks!
  • I live in Tennessee. There are some people that love healthy eating, but for the most part not so much.
  • Thanks for the help!
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I cook at home. I have noticed that people get offended when you say you want unsweetened tea in the south though... kind of annoying. The sweet tea here.. BLEGH. It's more sugar than tea, no thanks.

This northerner thinks sweet tea is gross. Isn't it funny how where we grow up dictates how we like our drinks? I don't add sugar to anything (yet I'm still fat).

I don't add sugar to anything either.. I liked plain brewed iced tea since I was a little kid, thanks to my grandma lol. I still love it. I got sweet tea once in a diner and I almost threw up, it was so thick and sugary!
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I live in Tennessee. There are some people that love healthy eating, but for the most part not so much.

Everyone is different but my idea of healthy eating is not a salad for every meal. Healthy eating is eating what you want just not overdoing it. Thinking that certain foods are the "devil" is "unhealthy" in my opinion. And when I say unhealthy I mean mentally unhealthy. Look at it this way, the majority of "food" is not unhealthy, overeating ANY food is what's unhealthy...
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    What do you do when you can't cook though?

Learn time management and learn to cook. Then apply newly acquired skills.

The South has nothing to do with your weight.
  • Okay, so I'll just change my perception of the food. Thanks!
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm also a GRITS. When I eat away form home I eat less and make the wisest choices I can. I cook and eat most of my food at home but you can try to have quick foods on hand at home. Salads get old fast but steamable veggies are fast. Once a week throw something like pork chops or chicken breasts in the over with a few sweet potatoes. A pork chop, half a sweet potato and a cup of veggies is a good meal that you can have several times during the week. Cooking does not have to be a daily thing but it does take some planning.
  • What do you do when you can't cook though?

So I'll hone my cooking skills. Thanks

• Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    This thread really makes me hungry (living in NC) - I really want some hushpuppies now! :drinker: