How would you log a home-made soup or salad?

Options
Hello lads,

So say, a relative cooks up a home-made soup, or slices some tomato, cucumber, olives, mozzarella, and a dressing on top. Do you log this by food seperate, or is there some estimate I could make (like, usually, a cup of tomato soup has around x calories, or most salads don't go above x calories)?

Replies

• Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    If you know the ingredients you can put into the recipe database. That should get you pretty close.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder all the time. Works great!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Good question. I've wondered about this, too.
  • 52golfnut
    52golfnut Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also use the recipe function - works great for me.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    recipe function or ingredient by ingredient.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i'd enter all the ingredients separately, work out your portion size, log then 'remember meal' in 'quick tools'.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    recipe function or ingredient by ingredient.

This. If it's something you have occasionally, I'd use the recipe builder. If it's more of a one time thing, ingredient by ingredient.
  • wistera
    wistera Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If I make it, definitely use the recipe builder. If it's homemade by someone else, I usually just find something in the database that looks similar and overestimate a little bit - a bit too lazy to input food by food, and it's not as if it's something I'll have regularly and really throw off my counts.
  • bluenoser67
    Options
    Honestly...I just search the existing database and find something close as long as it doesn't seem too small a number so I'm not cheating.
    I figure if I'm off here and there it's no big deal. It will even out.
    Since I'm on a 1,000 cal/day deficit if I am off by 100 or 200 cal either way from day to day it will balance out to 7,000 cal over the course of a week anyway.
    I already spend too much brain power on losing weight as it is. I find there is a lot less stress doing it this way.
    Seems to be working so far. Down 13 lbs in 5 weeks.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I add my ingredients to the recipe builder that way I know the carbs, protein etc. Of course this isn't "exact" but it is close enough to what I need. I hesitate to use the "quick calories" because I like to know the macros. I also use the recipe builder when I'm making one of my standard meals (chili, shepherds pie, etc.). These are meals I've made forever and use all of the same ingredients.