Protein

I am having trouble meeting my protein requirements. I have added chciken nuts and Met Rx (3 scoops).

I am still 60 grams short. Please advise.

Replies

• My advice would be to ditch the macro and calorie counting -- in my experience, it only ever seems to lead to obsessive-compulsive behavior.

Instead, focus on eating either three meals a day, or three meals and three snacks.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Steak is my best friend, I would suggest it become yours too. Or the list the Mr.M provided. But you can also add beans or lentils.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Other than meats, I find the best sources to be cottage cheese and greek yogurt. I can eat 1c cottage cheese with about 1T jam mixed in... yum.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    I am having trouble meeting my protein requirements. I have added chciken nuts and Met Rx (3 scoops).

How much protein is the Met Rx giving you btw?
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Try adding Greek yogurt, cream cheese or egg whites to your carb dishes.

For example:
    - add Greek yogurt to your oatmeal
    - replace mayo in sandwiches with cream cheese and/or yogurt
    - stir egg whites into your mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower or rice dish (& recook to set)
    - melt cream cheese over your broccoli and other veg (especially nice if you flavor with a bit of garlic or herbs)

Pretty easy to get an extra 30+ grams this way without changing anything about your regular menu.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator

it looks like their protein is around 23g. I assume her hold diet is a protein shake and some nuts with a goal of 130g of protein or so.... just a theory
  • My advice would be to ditch the macro and calorie counting -- in my experience, it only ever seems to lead to obsessive-compulsive behavior.

Instead, focus on eating either three meals a day, or three meals and three snacks.

My advice is to ignore this person. ^^^^^
    Ignore calorie and macro counting....hmmmmm....I wonder why you are even here.

OP, try meat (Hanger, flank, top sirloin)
    Chicken breasts, drumsticks, thighs.
    Fish
    Pork tenderloin
    Bacon

I'm here for the community. I've found success without tracking every single thing I eat...it can be done.

When I used to track food, I found that it made me paranoid about what/how much i was eating; I couldn't enjoy life and just eat and exercise normally.

When I quit tracking, the balance just came naturally.
  • Cottage Cheese, String Cheese, Greek Yogurt, meat, and eggs. BEEF JERKY is my favorite protein source. :drinker:
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Along with the other suggestions, tinned tuna is always a good one! :)
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    I have upped my protein since starting NROLFW, but I don't really count it. I admire those who take the time! I just make sure I have my protein shake in the a.m, eggs or a meat with my lunch and supper. Greek yogurt for a snack, sometimes with protein powder mixed in. (it's awesome, tastes like pudding)

I can sort of tell if i'm not eating enough of it when I am not lasting long enough between meals/snacks. It definitely keeps me fuller longer.
  • ladyicye50
    ladyicye50 Posts: 34 Member
    Egg Whites with veggies.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Not sure where your goals are, but I get over 100g protein per day. Open diary if you want to look. but I eat chicken, tuna, eggs, cheese, use protein powder (the one I have no is not my nomral one.. I went cheap and it wasn't' worth it. lol) protein bars, fish, beef, Greek yogurt, jerky. etc.. You can do it, just have to make sure you have a protein source during every meal. tofu is high in protein too. That was supposed to be my lunch, but mine went bad. :( booo.

I'm not a big fan of nuts for protein, but if you need fat in your diet nuts are great for that!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    I try to get 80-100 grams of protein a day. Try greek yogurt, protein shakes, protein bars. Edamane is a good source of protein also. Tuna is too. I try to have greek yogurt for my morning snack and a quest bar or power crunch bar for afternoon snack.
    Good luck!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    My advice would be to ditch the macro and calorie counting -- in my experience, it only ever seems to lead to obsessive-compulsive behavior.

I've read some dumb things today. *cough* ouya *cough*

but this takes the cake for dumb today.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member

per scoop:

23 grams of protein/1.5 carbs/100 calories

3 sccops=
    69 grams protein/4.5 carbs/300 calries
  • missdibs1
    Try adding Greek yogurt, cream cheese or egg whites to your carb dishes.

For example:
    - add Greek yogurt to your oatmeal
    - replace mayo in sandwiches with cream cheese and/or yogurt
    - stir egg whites into your mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower or rice dish (& recook to set)
    - melt cream cheese over your broccoli and other veg (especially nice if you flavor with a bit of garlic or herbs)

Pretty easy to get an extra 30+ grams this way without changing anything about your regular menu.

great ideas! tnx
  • missdibs1

it looks like their protein is around 23g. I assume her hold diet is a protein shake and some nuts with a goal of 130g of protein or so.... just a theory

I love fruit veggies and meat, the nuts and protein shakes are in between meals. thanks
  • missdibs1
    Along with the other suggestions, tinned tuna is always a good one! :)

I saw this tip on another forum.. The lady ate 2 cans per day (46 grams per can)

But how she doesn't get tuna-ed out idk.
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    My "go to's" are canned tuna, milk, greek yogurt, and almonds. Protein bars and whey protein get boring after a while.