Lightly active setting

Options
bigblue35
bigblue35 Posts: 3
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I have the lightly active setting as I potter round all day, and work in school a few hrs a day. However does this mean if I do say ironing or hoovering can i put in the calorie usage or not, I would if the setting was Sedentary but unsure how it works now I have changed it. I do put in if I do a walk with the dog, cycle or go for a swim.

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    If you are set to lightly active, I would not log light housework llike ironing or vacuuming.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If you are set to lightly active, I would not log light housework llike ironing or vacuuming.

+1
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options

agreed!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the settings for lightly active, etc. I changed mine from a sedentary to lightly active because of my job. I have a desk job (paralegal), but I move around a bit,

When I changed the setting, the BMR calorie intake did not change. It's still 1,200.

So, what is the difference between the settings?
  • MzManiak
    Options
    I'm not sure about the settings for lightly active, etc. I changed mine from a sedentary to lightly active because of my job. I have a desk job (paralegal), but I move around a bit,

When I changed the setting, the BMR calorie intake did not change. It's still 1,200.

So, what is the difference between the settings?

I think you're confused on what BMR is.
    Your net calorie allowance probably didn't change because you only have 15 pounds to lose, but you selected "lose 2 pounds/ week" and that is simply too aggressive for you. Try changing it to lose 1 pound/week and the calories should go up a bit.

The difference:
    Sedentary: People sometimes under the care of someone else with no exercise & with minimal activities - playing cards,watching TV, reading, etc.

Lightly Active: People who don't exercise but who are active; students, office workers,lawyers, doctors, shop workers, teachers, drivers, lab workers,stay at home wife or husband and musicians.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I think you're confused on what BMR is.
    Your net calorie allowance probably didn't change because you only have 15 pounds to lose, but you selected "lose 2 pounds/ week" and that is simply too aggressive for you. Try changing it to lose 1 pound/week and the calories should go up a bit.
    I think you are right. Thanks for the clarification on BMR.
    The difference:
    Sedentary: People sometimes under the care of someone else with no exercise & with minimal activities - playing cards,watching TV, reading, etc.

Lightly Active: People who don't exercise but who are active; students, office workers,lawyers, doctors, shop workers, teachers, drivers, lab workers,stay at home wife or husband and musicians.
    do I have my settings incorrect? I exercise every day (run & weight train 3x a well, walk the other days). But I am lightly active in my job.
  • bigblue35
    Options
    Ok that's great, thank you x
  • MzManiak
    Options
    The difference:

do I have my settings incorrect? I exercise every day (run & weight train 3x a well, walk the other days). But I am lightly active in my job.
    [/quote]

For the purpose of MFP, yes, because it's designed for you to enter exercise calories separately (therefore, they would not be included in your base calories).
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Thank you, MZ.
This discussion has been closed.