ladies do you gain or lose while on birth control

Options
I just started a new brand of birth control this week...othro tri cyclen. I have never used this brand before and I am worried about weight gain. Ive heard some women say they lost while on the pill. I didn't think this was possible and it would be awesome if that happened to me but I guess it just depends on the person as well. If anyone could share their stories I would appreciate it.

Replies

• joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have heard the same thing to about birth control making you gain weight. I am on Loestrin24FE, have been on it for like 3 years now. I lost 20lbs last year, had no issues losing weight, but then gained it back this year when I stopped working out, SHOCKER. I don't think the pill helped me gain/lose weight. At least I haven't experienced anything.

Best of luck :)
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I guess it just increases your appetite so its not really the pill making you gain but its you stuffing your face. well not you but you know what I mean lol just generally speaking. so now that im on the pill I have to work extra hard to watch what I eat
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Different birth controls have different levels of hormones. What works for one person doesn't work for all. If it did, we would only have that one working form on the market, lol.

I'm currently losing weight even though I'm on Depo Provera; scanning the forums, lots of people blame "my" drug for their weight gain. And it could be that it caused it, I'm not a professional pharmacist and don't know everything about every drug on the market; I just know that I tried several forms for BC and this one works for my body chemistry. Sometimes you have to try a few things and see what works for you.
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I always gain when Im on birth control. Iv been on pills and DEPO shot. I gained way more on the Depo Provera shot, but it came off pretty quick after getting off the shot.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    When I started the pill, I had no change in weight. If anything, the pill actually stabilized it a bit during the TOM because I had less cravings, less of a bloat, etc. My GP tells me most of the weight gained is water weight anyhow.
  • prettigirl01
    Options
    I think you just have to watch what you eat and get those cravings under control which is always hard for me because when I want something I always get it or eat it
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Neither...I'm just always overweight lol. Going on the low estrogen pill didn't change my weight.
  • stargirlll
    stargirlll Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Going on the pill has never affected my weight whatsoever. Solely my own eating and exercising habits.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I am on ortho tri cyclen, and i gained 10 lbs two weeks after starting it, now i'm losing weight, it hasn't effected my weight loss at all that i know of, my doc just said that birth control makes you gain water weight in the beginning.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Different birth controls have different levels of hormones. What works for one person doesn't work for all.

This!
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight a lot easier once I went on the pill. I think it kinda helped stabilize my hormones because they were REALLY messed up before I was on the pill.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I used that one for years before I switched to the Implanon.

Your gains or losses are directly related to the calories you consume, and exertion levels.

I have lost and gained weight on birth control. It can trick youinto feeling more munchy, but if you don't eat too much, you can't gain weight.
  • prettigirl01
    Options
    I started losing weight a lot easier once I went on the pill. I think it kinda helped stabilize my hormones because they were REALLY messed up before I was on the pill.

I would like to think that this would happen for me. it just seems like its so hard for me to drop even 1lb but different stroke for different folks
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've been on birth control since I was 18 and switched to ortho tricyclen lo several years ago - I don't believe it affected my weight one way or the other.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor about this and she maintains that it's more down to people feeling happy and settled in a relationship that makes them gain weight rather than the hormones they are taking. If she's right that should mean that counting calories and sticking to your calorie goals should still produce the same results as they would if you weren't taking it.
  • chargrove1990
    Options
    I just started a new brand of birth control this week...othro tri cyclen. I have never used this brand before and I am worried about weight gain. Ive heard some women say they lost while on the pill. I didn't think this was possible and it would be awesome if that happened to me but I guess it just depends on the person as well. If anyone could share their stories I would appreciate it.

I have been on ortho tri-cyclen since I was 15, and then when I turned 17, I was on DEPO {the shot} for about a year. I gained about 10-15 pounds in that year I was on DEPO. After that year, I went back to ortho-tricyclen and I've been on it ever since {I'm 23 now}. I have gained a lot of weight over the years, but it wasn't because of the pill, it was because of myself. DO NOT go on DEPO. It's nice being able to have a shot once a month and not having to worry about taking a pill everyday, but if you decide you want to have kids anytime soon {within the next 5 years}, your child will most likely come out with ADD or ADHD. It's not a bad thing, but it's true! Everyone I have known that has been on DEPO and decided to have a kid, that's what happened.
  • FauxFoxx
    FauxFoxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain anything on birth control BUT I also have a non hormonal IUD (paragard) and luvz it. <3
  • karibrit
    Options
    Different birth controls have different levels of hormones. What works for one person doesn't work for all.

This!

Exactly! Some BC pills have both progesterone and estrogen while others only have one hormone. Hormones will affect your body chemistry--but not everyone feels it or notices it. I have read that estrogen can accelerate metabolism while progesterone does not. It comes down to your metabolism, your body chemistry, and how you work with it. If the ortho tri makes you gain weight--switch it.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    if you decide you want to have kids anytime soon {within the next 5 years}, your child will most likely come out with ADD or ADHD. It's not a bad thing, but it's true! Everyone I have known that has been on DEPO and decided to have a kid, that's what happened.

What!? Where did you make this up?

What utter nonsense.
  • chargrove1990
    Options
    if you decide you want to have kids anytime soon {within the next 5 years}, your child will most likely come out with ADD or ADHD. It's not a bad thing, but it's true! Everyone I have known that has been on DEPO and decided to have a kid, that's what happened.

What!? Where did you make this up?

What utter nonsense.

I didn't make it up... lol. When I was getting the shot, that's what my doctor even told me. One of my neighbors is living proof!