Flax seed

Options
I just recently added cold milled flax seed to my diet because I hear it's really good for your heart. Does anyone else do this? Do you know anything else about it? Benefits, substitute, recipes etc. Please let me know I'm intrigued with this new finding

Replies

• kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I add it to smoothies because it's a good source of Omega 3's and I'm trying to wean myself from supplements. It adds fiber too!
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I add two heaping tablespoons to my cereal in the morning. Good stuff. You need to refrigerate after opening or it turns bitter.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I add it to smoothies because it's a good source of Omega 3's and I'm trying to wean myself from supplements. It adds fiber too!

And how is the ALA to EPA/DHA conversion in humans?
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options

And how is the ALA to EPA/DHA conversion in humans?

Conversion to EPA is relatively high, while conversion to DHA is quite low actually (but I suspect you already knew that). Fish and seafood related sources are still your best source for DHA, and then only because there is algae for them to eat. Can't eat fish? Then you get to eat the algae. Yum.

If DHA is so essential to proper brain function, what did humans do before they ate fish? And in areas of the world where people didn't eat fish? Either they are/were all mentally impaired, or the low conversion rate is actually sufficient for normal human function. Given results of so many drug-company-funded studies these days, it's a wonder humans managed to survive at all.

Meh. I'll eat my flaxseed. :)
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I eat fish a few times a week too! I think my bases are mostly covered. I'm just working on getting my nutrition from food rather than pills.