Am I “too big” for a Vegas spa day?

Options
[Preface: First time poster & new on my MFP/weight loss journey. I plead for only constructive opinions, either way.]

Next month I am going to take a few days off of work & tag along to a conference my husband is attending in Las Vegas. I’m anticipating some free days sans hubby, and am trying to think of a way to reward myself for the first anticipated 10+ lbs of weight loss I will have accrued by that time. I want it to be something special that I can repeat when I reach 100 lbs smaller (& possibly at the 50 pound mark too). Maybe not in Vegas, but on a vacation TBD. I’m not much of a shopper (clothes, purses, shoes, etc. don’t excite me…no matter how big the designer). Rewarding myself with an awesome meal at a top-tier restaurant by myself seems counterproductive/destructive & could lead to possible remorse and stumbles on my journey. But for some reason, the thought of a day unplugged from technology, being pampered & introspectively relaxing is intriguing.

My question though, am I “too big” for the Vegas spa scene? As background, I am 5’10” & a size 22. I’ve had a few massages before (not in a spa setting) and I love, love, LOVE them. But I would be new to the saunas/baths/spa environment. I would be going during the middle of the week during the day, so I don’t think it would be as crowded as the weekend. But I have some preliminary concerns…silly stuff like will the robe be large enough, can I relax enough to get over my own discomfort with my body, etc. Or am I just letting the self-esteem/anxiety issues that got me in this state in the first place "win" by even being anxious about potentially going to the spa, and I should just "suck it up" go & enjoy?

Any experiences (positive or negative) or advice anyone has to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS: Also, recommendations of certain spas along The Strip that you’ve been to would also be great :smile: ...so many to choose from.

Replies

• thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. You're doing great. Good luck finding a spa that treats you right and helps you feel relaxed and rewarded.!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    your never too big, you go!
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    your never too big, you go!
    This!

I actually went to a spa in Dallas a few months ago and I did wonder about the robes but they were actually huge. I don't know if it will be the same in Vegas, but if you are really concerned just ask them. I'm sure they are made for a wide range of sizes.
  • mochalishious
    mochalishious Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You go & get pampered & enjoy it! Don't worry about the robe & all the other things you are worrying about. Everything will work out for you
  • laddibugg
    laddibugg Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When you make your appointment, inquire about a larger robe. ask that one be set aside. based on your size (height, not necessarily weight) you might just need a man's robe. you don't want a too short robe!
  • daniellek30
    daniellek30 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Too big? No, not at all! You go and enjoy your Vegas spa trip.

I have to say, I live here and I wish I could give recommendations, but I generally try to stay away from the strip :(
  • shelbelw
    shelbelw Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    At a size 22, the robe should be big enough. I have done spa days as large as a size 24, and my robe was adequate. Nothing was hanging out. :)

Good for you to celebrate! Enjoy the pampering.
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    Never been to a Vegas spa but the local spa I went to had robes in all sizes and everything at the spa was fine for people of all shapes and sizes. If you have a concern about it, you can always ask when booking your spa day. Just go and enjoy and have a great time.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Go.Relax.Enjoy.
  • ksutte
    ksutte Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You are fine, same size and height as me. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the varying sizes of peeps at the spas. Don't stress so much, enjoy yourself, you deserve it after all your hard work.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you can fit in the mud bath, do it.
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Go and enjoy yourself. As others have said inquire about the robe before you book. If they can't accommodate you,bring one from home. Just one less thing to be anxious about. Don't forget your bathing suit so you can enjoy the sauna and hot springs. If your only getting a massage you can still use the facilities all day.

I have been a massage therapist for over ten years. I (and the majority of the therapists I have worked with ) really don't care about "body types", or if legs are shaved etc.... Please go and enjoy yourself.

I have only been to the spa at the MGM Grand and it was fabulous!
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    First of all, good for you starting this journey! I think you should go and make the most out of it! its amazing how revitalizing a spa trip can be and in my opinion this is quite possibly the best reward that you could give yourself.
  • sharnut751
    sharnut751 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had the opportunity to go to the spa at TI (Treasure Island) the last time I was in Vegas and it was AMAZING. It is on the pricey side but the experience was really worth it.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    Go!! Enjoy it
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Tourists in Vegas are not small, and most people in Vegas dress horribly I would not feel self conscious, if I were you.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Go have fun and don't think twice about whether or not you are too big. Relax and enjoy.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I want to go! :drinker:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Spas today have some awesome facilities to assist people of size. They have massage tables that are adjustable via hydraulics, as larger folks (and the elderly) don't "hop" quite so well. Think about the typical chair in a salon, the same kind of technology is being used in spas for treatment and massage tables. The spas I've been to (Vegas included) offer different size slippers and robes for their customer's comfort.

You'll be fine. Enjoy your trip and enjoy your spa day!
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    No one, and I mean NO ONE is too big for a day of pampering!
    You totally deserve this. Book, go, and enjoy!