Athlete doing everything right: Still gaining weight.

I'm a college cross country runner at a D3 school (not competitive whatsoever, but still working out like an athlete). I run or cross-train 6 days/week, with five of those days being 2-a-day practices with strength training at the second one. I burn, on average, between 450-600 calories every day. I have been using MFP to food log since this past January, and lost 10 pounds (128-118) between January and April. I maintained that weight, 118, until July, when I started gaining weight again.

My exercise levels increased over the summer as my weekly mileage increased. I began eating more to compensate for the calories lost. I have been eating mostly healthfully, with "bad days" where I go over the 1200-cal/day limit on MFP (goal: lose 1lb/week). My "bad days" are still under 500 extra calories, however, so I shouldn't be _gaining_ weight. But I am. So far, since the middle of July, I have gained 7 pounds and am back at 124. It's not all muscle, either: my waist and hip measurements have both gone up one inch and I'm clearly gaining fat tissue.

I'm a big believer in the "quantified life" and use the MapMyRun app to calculate calories burned in exercise, and add this to my MFP profile (I find the MFP fitness estimates to be bigger). I track as accurately as I can.

Can anyone give me insight as to why I'm gaining weight? Can anyone give me advice as to what I can change?

Extra information: Around the same time I started gaining weight, I went on the birth control pill. It is a low-dosage pill, and is not supposed to be associated with gaining weight. I fully hydrate every day, as I run in very hot conditions. I don't drink sports drinks. I eat an hour before I run in the mornings, an hour afterwards, small lunch, afternoon snack before afternoon workout, and a relatively large dinner. I try not to take in sweets, but I do over-indulge occasionally (college campus, and all). Is the quantified method failing me? It looks like I should be losing weight, but I'm consistently gaining.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member
    If weigh gain has been just a few days or a week, it may be water retention, muscle repair, electrolyte imbalance etc......but if the weight gain is over a longer period to months then your eating over your maintenance.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

Be consistent. Weigh and measure everthing.
  • kskonkol
    kskonkol Posts: 14 Member
    1200 cal/day and an athlete...

are you sure you're counting all the sports drinks (if you use them)? A 20 ounce sports drink is like 250 cal.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Do you weigh your food? You don't have to weigh everything you put in your mouth, but try it for a week and you might be shocked at your serving sizes. I know I was.
  • dpag
    dpag Posts: 1 Member
    Everyone who has replied has given the right ideas. Seeing that you are in college, are you having a drink or more a few times per week? Alcohol shuts down your metabolism for 48 hours, plus we tend to overeat when we drink. If all else fails, get yourself checked for hypothyroidism. I have it and I can tell you that I went from a red-hot metabolism my entire life, to "I can put on weight just by looking at food". And also, I'm sure you are beautiful at 124lbs; try some self love...good luck!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member
    Everyone who has replied has given the right ideas. Seeing that you are in college, are you having a drink or more a few times per week? Alcohol shuts down your metabolism for 48 hours, plus we tend to overeat when we drink. If all else fails, get yourself checked for hypothyroidism. I have it and I can tell you that I went from a red-hot metabolism my entire life, to "I can put on weight just by looking at food". And also, I'm sure you are beautiful at 124lbs; try some self love...good luck!
    Pardon............alcohol doesn't shut down metabolism for any length of time let alone 2 days......and some people eat less when they drink.
  • Rawremilyrawr
    Rawremilyrawr Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you all for your replies! A few answers and replies of my own:

I haven't been drinking since I started gaining weight. I'm also aware that my weight is in the healthy range; I'm trying to cut down on body fat to help myself run the best I can. I've been setting personal records like crazy recently, and losing a percentage point or two of body fat will hopefully help protect me from injury (to which I am prone) and help me reach my potential as an athlete. I haven't been tested for hyperthyroidism, but I had a range of blood tests done in late July that came back with no abnormal hormone levels.

I will try to be even more consistent with tracking, as several people have mentioned weighing food and measuring precisely.

And to clarify: I'm not eating 1200/day, that is my net goal. I'm eating 1350-1600/day depending on my workout intensity. My macronutrient percentages are around 56% carbohydrates, 17% protein, 27% fat, if that makes any difference.

Again, thank you for your replies and advice!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    I wonder ... you're eating pretty low protein and low calorie and you don't mention any serious resistance training. Do you know what your %BF was before you started dieting and after you got to your goal weight? Is it possible you lost muscle and your metabolism decreased - more than it would have normally just from losing 10 lbs, I mean?

If so, you might want to try increasing your protein significantly and start lifting to maintain the muscle you have. 1g / lb of lean body mass is recommended (usually 30-40% of your intake). Personally, I'd try a slow bulk to build that muscle back if that's the problem. I think the benefits of having more muscle would outweigh (a pun, how nice) the drawback of putting on a little weight. And you can always cut back to the weight you want afterward.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    I wonder ... you're eating pretty low protein and low calorie and you don't mention any serious resistance training. Do you know what your %BF was before you started dieting and after you got to your goal weight? Is it possible you lost muscle and your metabolism decreased - more than it would have normally just from losing 10 lbs, I mean?

If so, you might want to try increasing your protein significantly and start lifting to maintain the muscle you have. 1g / lb of lean body mass is recommended (usually 30-40% of your intake). Personally, I'd try a slow bulk to build that muscle back if that's the problem. I think the benefits of having more muscle would outweigh (a pun, how nice) the drawback of putting on a little weight. And you can always cut back to the weight you want afterward.

The OP already does strength training 5 times a week.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I burn, on average, between 450-600 calories every day.

That sounds low for a collegiate level athlete. How are you measuring?

EDIT: Oh, I missed the MapMyRun bit. That still seems really low for the level you are at...?
  • I noticed you said that you had your thyroid checked and the level was in the normal range. Were you checked for TS-3 ? This is a level my doctor explained to me that could be my problem ---the same problem you are having. Turns out --the regular test usually given to have your thyroid checked
    gave me a reading that was within the normal range----BUT---he took it again to check for this TS-3 reading alone----and this element of the thyroid test was low enough that it turned out to be the reason why I couldn't lose any weight.
    I am now on a med to correct this.--and I am once again losing. Good luck!!!
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    While the power of MFP is substantial, you may be beyond our reach ... in a good way!

At this point, you might need to see a professional nutritionist to tweek your diet for those last few pounds. I work with a woman is was a professional fitness competitor and runner. She is literally trying to lose 3 pounds to lower her per mile time by like 30 seconds, but that will make all the difference. She is on an extremely strict diet working with the professional. I know she tracks her macros like someone with OCD. Her protein intake is ridiculous off the scale. The types of things shes doing are really beyond the type of advice you are getting from the internetz.

Since you are at school and I'm assuming cost is an issue, do you have a trainer that works with the team? Do they have an education program that you could find some students to work with, or someone at the med school?

Best of luck to you!