Calories eaten vs. calories burned ???

Options
2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Where did you get the idea that MFP treats everyone the same? You are completely wrong. It does indeed do actual calculations based on your weight, goals, and activity level. I am a woman and MFP has always had a calorie goal for me much higher than 1200 calories.

It doesn't give all men the same goal as each other, either, and it does not give all men who eat fewer than 1700 calories a warning.

Your corrections are misplaced.

Not completely misplaced........but almost

Many people want to lose weight as quickly as possible so they set really aggressive weight loss goals. When that happens MFP sets women at the lowest possible number of 1200... for men it's higher.

If I want to lose 30 pounds and set the weekly goal to 2 pounds a week ..... MFP would give me 1200. But if I set the goal to a more reasonable number ..... say 1 pound per week, then yes I will get something above 1200.

You see 1200 A LOT .... like it has some sort of "magical" properties
    I am aware that MFP won't use a number below 1200, so that number comes up a lot, particularly for people who are sedentary, don't weigh a lot, and/or set their goals to be very aggressive. You are mistaken that this minimum level is higher for men than for women -- men can also get a daily calorie allowance of 1200 from MFP given the appropriate lifestyle inputs.

Men do have a higher requirement for calories. Unfortunately, the code in the interface for MFP doesn't allow it to distinguish between the two. Sedentary men should no less than 1500-1800 and active men 1800 plus. In all reality, most men should probably be closer to 2000 so you don't create large deficits.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am aware that MFP won't use a number below 1200, so that number comes up a lot, particularly for people who are sedentary, don't weigh a lot, and/or set their goals to be very aggressive. You are mistaken that this minimum level is higher for men than for women -- men can also get a daily calorie allowance of 1200 from MFP given the appropriate lifestyle inputs.

Men do have a higher requirement for calories. Unfortunately, the code in the interface for MFP doesn't allow it to distinguish between the two. Sedentary men should no less than 1500-1800 and active men 1800 plus. In all reality, most men should probably be closer to 2000 so you don't create large deficits.
    I agree.

I was saying that MFP's minimum daily calorie goal threshold is the same for men and women, not that it should be. Several people in this thread seem to have a mistaken belief that MFP won't give men a daily calorie goal of 1200 or 1300 calories even if they set up their profile in such a way that that's how the math works out.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    the message is automatic if you click the 'finish' button and you are under your personal calorie goal it'll tell you are not eating enough - even if you are only 1 cal under your goal. I go by weekly rather then daily, because inevitably there'll be days when I eat more :-)